Foreign Ownership - A Thai Perspective

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
johnrxx99

Post by johnrxx99 »

Hi Winkie - I'm not complaining as I wouldn't "buy" property outside Europe. I was thinking from a farang point of view but take your point we are not singled out. Indeed it strengthens the view that ownership of land is very important to the Thai and other eastern cultures. They don't trust foreigners.

As regards foreign property ownership in the UK, I have no complaints at all: I made a living managing it for overseas investors. In the 90's, after the last property crash, 100's of billions were invested in the UK, mainly German and European Banks and Funds (also many individuals who wanted to get the money out as rules had been relaxed) and my firm acted in buying and selling and collected the rent.

Personally I don't think land ownership is very important at all as land can't be removed. All a soverign country has to say is that they have had enough and are kicking you out and you can't do a thing but bleat. At least in Europe we have the EU conventions but elsewhere invested money is not safe, especially in land.

IMO restrictions on foreigners owning land are inherently racist as they are saying we don't trust you even though we hold all the cards. But hey, that is a nation's right.
Last edited by johnrxx99 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thai me to the moon
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Nice Reply
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Actually the whole issue is not about clamping down on foreign ownership, that is just a red herring. More than likely it is about clamping down on foreign attitudes similar to those than can be found in this thread.

Nobody likes having the piss taken out of them, the Thais are no different.

Amuses me that foreigners believe they understand Thai people and their culture and that their opinion is worth more than a Thais just because they have lived in country for a few years, when in reality nothing could be further from the truth.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Amazing how everyone can speak on behalf of all Thai's everywhere and tell us what they are really thinking?

Malc, what you just posted makes you as guilty as those you criticise!!!! :)
Talk is cheap
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

caller wrote:Amazing how everyone can speak on behalf of all Thai's everywhere and tell us what they are really thinking?

Sorry, don't understand, speak English please.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

oops
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:
caller wrote:Amazing how everyone can speak on behalf of all Thai's everywhere and tell us what they are really thinking?

I do and I did, well, sort of, and it was in response to your post where you chose to criticise others for exactly the same thing that you subsequently did, IMHO.
Talk is cheap
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

caller wrote:
malcolminthemiddle wrote:

I do and I did, well, sort of, and it was in response to your post where you chose to criticise others for exactly the same thing that you subsequently did, IMHO.
I get it, I think, you meant to say "Amazing how someone can speak on behalf of all Thai's everywhere and tell us what they are reallky thinking?" meaning me right?

Well how you could draw that conclusion I shall never know. Even after all these years of living around Thai people I would never be so presumptious. Doubt I will ever understand them completely, but for me that intrigue is one of the enjoyments of my life.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I kind of guessed you would miss the irony? :?
Talk is cheap