Motor Bike License - what do I need to take?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gail

Motor Bike License - what do I need to take?

Post by Gail »

I have a Thai Car license and the 5 years renewal is due in April but now need a motor bike license as well, due to keep getting stopped by the police, I know I should have got one six years ago when I got my car license but never thought I would be riding a bike. Anyway can anyone tell me what I need to take, is it the same as the car, do I need a medical certificate? Is there any way round I can avoid having to go Pranburi myself?
buksida

Re: Motor Bike License - what do I need to take?

Post by buksida »

I did it last year, details here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17593

Note: rules may have changed slightly between now and then, maybe someone who has done it recently can clarify.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Do you already have a valid motorcycle licence from your own country? If yes, it's much the same as the car licence. If not, you need to be prepared to spend 2 days at Pranburi.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh, and if you don't already have a valid licence, you will need to provide a bike on which to take your test. My son actually lent his bike to a couple of people who didn't have a bike with them. Otherwise, they couldn't have taken their test.

Points 48; Position 20
Gail

Post by Gail »

What even if you already have a Thai car licence?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Definitely - have you passed a bike test? If not, you have to, to get your licence.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I used the driving licence testing station at Cha Am and found it a breeze. When I went last year for my one year licence for car and motorcycle, I had to provide the necessary paperwork (incl UK driving licence) but the only test required was a colour blind test. This year for the five year renewal, it was just the paperwork, although you need two complete sets - one for each licence. I would definitely recommend trying the Cha Am place.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But I guess you already had a UK licence permitting use of both modes of transport. It sounds to me as if Gail is hoping to pick up her motorcycle licence without first qualifying, which negates the purpose of the licence.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:But I guess you already had a UK licence permitting use of both modes of transport. It sounds to me as if Gail is hoping to pick up her motorcycle licence without first qualifying, which negates the purpose of the licence.
Correct BB, both car and motorcycle licences from the UK
Gail

Post by Gail »

I have been riding my little 50cc for about 8 years now and want to go to a 110cc, I don't mind the getting of the licence but it's the time element, but if needs must. Do I have to go to immigration if I have a copy of my yellow book?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I needed a letter of residency from immigration, but I guess (don't know) that your little yellow book might do just as well.

When my son did his test it took all of the first day and a couple of hours on the second. The second day is ass about face (in UK terms), in that after you've passed your practical test on day one, you have to pass the theory test on day 2. If you fail the theory, they let you try again.

Points 48; Position 20
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I am going through the same process. I have a Thai driving license for my car and now need to get a Thai motorcycle license.
The following are the requirements as detailed by the Bangkok – Department of Land and Transport, yesterday applying to both car and motorcycle licenses (form handed out)

THAI DIVING LICENSE BY YOURSELF
(One Year Driving License)

1. Passport with Visa (Original & Photocopy)
2. Original present resident address in Thailand. Certify from Embassy/ Immigration Bureau OR Work Permit with original and Photocopy (Valid for 1 Year)
3. Original Medical Certificate (5 Diseases Form) from clinic or hospital (Valid for 1 Month)
4. (if Have) Original and Photocopy of International Driving License (in convention of 1949 OR 1968 OR Local Driving License (Translation to English or Thai Language and certify from Embassy (In Valid)
• If you are qualified in No. 4 you have to take physical test
• If you are disqualified in No. 4 You have to take a test
Training 4 Hours
Physical test
Theory test
Practical test

FEE: Car 205 Bahts Motorcycles 155 Bahts

(I typed it as it was written – I am not responsible for the Thenglish! )
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gail wrote:I have been riding my little 50cc for about 8 years now and want to go to a 110cc, I don't mind the getting of the licence but it's the time element, but if needs must. Do I have to go to immigration if I have a copy of my yellow book?
I used my yellow book without a problem. Once again, I recommend trying the Cha Am testing station - it's located on the RHS of the main road between Cha Am and Petchaburi, about 5 kms from Cha Am, although I don't think it's very well signposted (in English anyway). Whether I was lucky or not I don't know, but I was in and out within about 15 minutes.