Thais and Maps

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Thais and Maps

Post by Big Boy »

A general observation of mine since moving to Thailand is the inaccuracy of showing a business location on a website map. One example discussed previously was Hua Hin Cinema - if you look at their website, it is located in the Royal Palace.

A more recent example is a complex just opened on Soi 94. They have 2 references - Google Earth shows them in Hua Hin temple and another map shows them somewhere else (I haven't determined the actual location) other than Soi 94.

There have been other examples.

If somebody is going to go to the expense of having a fancy website built, why don't they let people know where to find them? If they don't want people to find them, why advertise, or have a map at all? Have these web designers not heard of proof reading?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: Thais and Maps

Post by Terry »

Spot on BB

:agree:

TOTALLY

Problem is putting the two words Thai and Map in the same sentence - it's never been done before :wink:
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Big Boy, you must be new here. It will not take long until you stop asking yourself these kind of questions. Not many Thais can accurately read a map and that inevitably includes web designers. And most business owners. And most if not all customers. So nobody really cares where the pointer points at.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
mafiamind

Post by mafiamind »

I agree.
Just like having the pedestrian crossings.
Why waste the paint and signs when no one cares.

Another thing that gets me is how a lot of restaurants will have extensive menus, yet they are always out of the ingredients to make certain dishes.

Guess its just that weird logic lol
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They probably run out of ingredients because the map to the suppliers is wrong :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
mafiamind

Post by mafiamind »

Big Boy wrote:They probably run out of ingredients because the map to the suppliers is wrong :?
:clap: Totally possible
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

BB, as Roel has mentioned, you'll soon stop asking such questions. :laugh: I also used to get confused when I was given directions in the past, but it's got a whole lot easier over the years. Turn right at the traffic lights doesn't really mean you have to turn right - it just means you have to turn either left or right, but definitely not go straight.

You'll find the same thing when it comes to drivers using their indicators.....

1) Indicators are completely optional :shock:
2) Indicating left or right is of no importance at all. The actual goal being, you've at least indicated that you don't intend going straight ahead. :shock:

Ironically, when Thais do come to grips with the concept of maps, they absolutely love the idea. After driving around Bangkok for hours because of my wife taking a wrong turn, I suggested she get a GPS device. Her immediate response was that she didn't need one, but when she then got lost the next time she was in Bangkok, she swallowed her pride and got one, and I assure you, she would rather be without me now than be without her GPS. :laugh: She absolutely loves it. Now she just has to teach me how it works. :shock:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote:BB, as Roel has mentioned, you'll soon stop asking such questions. :laugh: I also used to get confused when I was given directions in the past, but it's got a whole lot easier over the years. Turn right at the traffic lights doesn't really mean you have to turn right - it just means you have to turn either left or right, but definitely not go straight. lol - not really a question, just an observation.

You'll find the same thing when it comes to drivers using their indicators.....

1) Indicators are completely optional :shock: Yes, I've worked that one out. Normally only used when they really want to confuse you (indicate and then turn the opposite way.
2) Indicating left or right is of no importance at all. The actual goal being, you've at least indicated that you don't intend going straight ahead. :shock:

Ironically, when Thais do come to grips with the concept of maps, they absolutely love the idea. After driving around Bangkok for hours because of my wife taking a wrong turn, I suggested she get a GPS device. Her immediate response was that she didn't need one, but when she then got lost the next time she was in Bangkok, she swallowed her pride and got one, and I assure you, she would rather be without me now than be without her GPS. :laugh: She absolutely loves it. Now she just has to teach me how it works. :shock: I don't blame her - I'd rather be with my SatNav as well :D. Seriously, it's a fantastic beastie over here. We were at the Premium Outlet, just North of Cha-Am the other day, when one of my grand daughters asked if we could go to Puktien Beach for lunch. I keyed it into my SatNav and off we went. I actually missed one turning, and it re-directed me back on track by taking me on a dirt track between some paddy fields - absolutely fantastic.

:cheers:

Points 48; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Thais and Maps – an anecdote………………

Many moons ago (About 15 years) Mrs. T and I were making our quarterly trip back to Issan. Thankfully we don’t go any more. 8)
Anyway – the usual route was up past the old airport, Saraburi, Pak Chong, Korat etc.
On one occasion we had a lot more time than usual, so I decided to be adventurous and take a different route. :shock:
After the airport we hung a right and went to Nakhon Nyoke and thence north into Khao Yai, up and over the escarpment and back down the other side to the Friendship Highway. :?
Mrs.T not having travelled this way before, descended into silence after the right turn at just past the airport, believing of course that I was totally lost. Not a peep as we entered Khao Yai and then ascended the winding route up the escarpment. Up and over the top until we pass the main Park Rangers office at the summit, whereupon she spots a sign to Pak Chong.
How did you know this route says she?
Farang magic says I :twisted:
It’s called A MAP :mrgreen:
She’s never let me forget it :roll:
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

According to google earth what was the Marriot Courtyard in Cha'am is on Soi 94 here in Hua Hin!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

So how do they manage to get Sat Nav directions right? :roll:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

margaretcarnes wrote:So how do they manage to get Sat Nav directions right? :roll:
I guess they don't have Thai programmers :?

Seriously, one of the drawbacks/advantages of my SatNav in Thailand is that unlike the UK, where it would take you direct to somebody's front door, the system in Thailand takes you somewhere near an address. In fact, since my question on how to get to the airport last week, I've worked out that if you can find your destination on Google Earth, coordinates are displayed. Type those into the SatNav, and it's almost as good as the UK.

I was truly amazed when my SatNav took me off the tarmac road, and between a couple of paddy fields on a dirt track. Basically, you have to put your faith in the SatNav. Use common sense when you think it's wrong, and it will immediately calculate another route.

Maybe a more appropriate question would have been, 'How do they find their way to work every day, if they can't place their workplace on a simple map?'

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:............................I've worked out that if you can find your destination on Google Earth, coordinates are displayed. Type those into the SatNav, and it's almost as good as the UK.
Glad to see that you have taken notice of my suggestion on that other thread, Big Boy. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Did you really suggest that? I definitely didn't acknowledge it at the time. I guess that I must have read it, and the idea stuck in the back of my mind, and came forward later as my own suggestion. Definitely not trying to steal your thunder :oops:

The main thing is that it works, and it works well. A belated thank you for planting that little seed :D

I'll go back and re-read that thread now. :wink:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:It is worthwhile down loading Google Earth, and then you can have a look at the alternative routes, and read off the co-ordinates. :cheers:
:oops: :oops: :oops: There it is. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Points 48; Position 18