Burma Tourism

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

Burma Tourism

Post by PeteC »

No doubt many more articles to come as they open up, so a new, separate thread is appropriate. Pete :cheers:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/travel/ ... 76889.html (Photo)

Life on the lake
Vipasai Niyamabha
Special to The Nation
Nyaung Shwe February 29, 2012 1:00 am

Life on the lake
Home to Intha leg rowers and floating farms, Inle Lake is still relatively unspoiled by the outside world

In a state of civil conflict and closed to much of the world for more than 60 years, Burma is still best described by Rudyard Kipling's famous quote: "quite unlike any land you know about". The itinerary of a first timer will include the chaotic charms Rangoon, the old capital of Mandalay and Bagan but a visit to remote Inle Lake in Shan State will offer the mellowest moments of all.

The slim teak boats on show at Rangoon's National Museum are very much part of everyday life in Nyaung Shwe. From the narrow canals to the vast lake, wooden boats of various sizes are everywhere.

Nyaung Shwe, a small yet pleasant township in Taunggyi district, is the base for those who want to explore the lake area. Tourists on package tours stay in more expensive hotels overlooking the placid water.

January and February are the best months to go weather-wise but Nyaung Shwe and Inle Lake are at their most exciting in October during the Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda Festival, when four Buddha Images are taken around the lake in a gilded barge pulled by hundreds of leg-rowers in long canoes in front. Rowing competitions are also held. Pilgrims from all over the country come to this festival, so guesthouses and hotels fill up quickly. Don't be too hesitant when you find one or you'll end up sleeping in a monastery.

The best way of getting around Nyaung Shwe is by bicycle and there are several bike rental shops on the both sides of the main thoroughfare. Local teashops dot the streets, offering plenty of sweet snacks as well as hot milky tea.

I avoid cycling into the crowded Mingalar Market during the day, as this trading place is very busy with buyers from the nearby ethnic villages. The market sells everything from tomatoes to thanaka powder, which local people rub on their faces to protect the skin from the sun. The night market is set up on the main street just before sunset with a handful of food stalls offering such delicacies as Shan noodles and barbecue fish with chilli dips.

To get a sense of this vast lake at the foot of the blue mountain ridges of Menetaung, you need to take a boat ride. You'll find passenger boats lined up near by the bridge to the west of town.

Inle lake has an estimated surface area of 116 square kilometres and is perched at an altitude of 880 metres, which means you need two blankets in winter. It's Burma's second largest freshwater lake - the largest one is Indawgyi Lake in Kachin State.

Because the lake is covered in reeds and floating plants, Intha fishermen are known for their unique leg rowing, which involves standing at the stern of the boat on one leg with the other wrapped around the oar.

The fishermen live and work in stilt houses built over the water. They also grow vegetables in floating gardens that rise and fall with the tides. The way of living gives the perception of floating villages, floating gardens, as well as floating markets in the authentic sense of the word.

The water is crystal clear in many parts, allowing sight of the lake floor up to three metres below, with villages, temples and gardens dotting the network of canals rather than the open lake. The Intha usually row out to the open lake to fish. Each small flat-bottomed boat carries a cone-shaped bamboo contraption lined with a mesh net and open at the top. When he arrives at a fishing spot, the fisherman presses the large side of the cone to the bottom of the shallow lake with his feet to trap the fish. He then uses the oar to hit the water surface, presumably to scare the fish, who then swim into the net.

Small waterway channels allow for a close-up view of the floating gardens, which are made by matting reeds that grow around the lake in long buoyant rows. The farmer gathers mud from the lake's floor to pile on top and mixes it with hyacinth weed for fertilisation. Green and red tomatoes grow in abundance alongside these small streams, making Inle Lake the largest producer of tomatoes in Shan state.

Most tourists take a day trip around the northern part of the lake stopping at a weaving village where lotus thread is still used to weave textile. A scarf made from natural dyed lotus thread scarf is impressively velvety to the touch but I wince when I see the price: it's more than my flight from Heho back to Rangoon.

A lot of small boat vendors try to sell their silver accessories just outside a silversmith workshop, paddling along the boat offering lovely ear rings or necklaces "at good prices".

The Intha are Buddhist and there are more than 100 Buddhist monasteries and shrines in and around the lake. Among the most popular is Nga Phe Kyaung near Ywama village. Visitors can stroll around the wooden monastery, pay respect to the old Buddha images and be entertained by cats that the monks have trained to jump through small hoops for donations.

If visiting the Phaung Daw Oo pagoda outside the festival, the golden barge designed as a hintha bird can be viewed in a boat garage next to the temple building. When the grand 18-day festival is held at the end of the Buddhist Lent known as the month of Thadingyut, four Buddha images covered thickly with gold leaves are borne on a royal barge and taken throughout the lake.

The accompanying fair, dances and races are surely sufficiently intriguing to make anyone want to plan ahead for the upcoming Phaung Daw Oo event. For visitors like us, the most exciting event will almost certainly be the leg-rowing boat races. Inle Lake is the only place on earth to witness such an extraordinary act.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Burma Tourism

Post by PeteC »

I just noticed the huge amount of islands almost directly west of the Hua Hin area. I think in years to come there will be access to them and what a treat if they build some kind of connecting corridor from Thailand, perhaps close to the Hua Hin area. Pete :cheers:
Burma_map.jpg
Burma_map.jpg (66.99 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

prcscct wrote:I just noticed the huge amount of islands almost directly west of the Hua Hin area. I think in years to come there will be access to them and what a treat if they build some kind of connecting corridor from Thailand, perhaps close to the Hua Hin area.
Its called the Mergui Archipelago and there are over 800 islands, many uninhabited and some the size of Singapore. I travelled there in 2005 and it is a fantastic place, one of the last unexplored frontiers. It will blow Thailand off the map if they ever open it up.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Post by HHADFan »

The potential for dive tourism looks enormous as long as it hasn't been polluted.
"We're all living proof nothing lasts" - Jay Farrar
buksida

Post by buksida »

The diving there is spectacular, no pollution, deep clear water, sharks still abundant (unlike Thailand where they've all been caught and eaten), untouched pristine coral. The only downside is that dynamite was still used for fishing in some areas which is highly destructive, not sure if it still goes on today.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Yes, if that's the area called the "Burma Banks" by the live aboard I was on back in the 90's it is some of the best diving anywhere. We touched on the lower part for a couple of days and it was really unspoiled back then with the boat I was on being (according to them) the only one with permission to dive there at the time.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

The hotels are full or eye-wateringly expensive, creased dollar bills are worthless and credit cards are widely refused -- welcome to Myanmar, Asia's next big tourist destination.

The Southeast Asian nation, once shielded from international eyes by a brutal military junta and a travel boycott supported by democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi, has become a must-see for many travellers.

"Because the country has been so isolated, the deeply Buddhist 'Land of the Golden Pagoda' resonates with a strong sense of place, undiluted by mass tourism and warmed by genuine hospitality," the New York Times said in January, ranking the country third on its list of the top 45 destinations of 2012.

But the influx of tourists is posing a challenge to the burgeoning travel industry in a country where a string of political reforms has not been matched by infrastructure development.

The few hotels in Yangon offering international standards of business accommodation have begun to charge up to several hundred dollars a night for rooms that were half the price, if not less, a year ago.

Even hoteliers admit that the situation is unsustainable.

"To be really honest at this point I don't think that Myanmar is ready yet to cope with the high demand of mass tourism," said Thomas Moons, front office manager at the colonial-style Governor's Residence hotel in Yangon.

"At the moment in terms of availability and accommodation that we're able to offer, it's just not enough to cope with demand," he told AFP.

"People might think that if they come to Myanmar they will have a cheap holiday when it's completely the opposite."

While few doubt Myanmar's attraction to tourists, some people returning to the country say they enjoyed it more before the hordes arrived.

Klaus, a 61-year-old German travelling with his wife in the remote western town of Sittwe, said they were "disappointed" by their third trip to Myanmar.

"There are too many people this time, even though it is April (the peak of hot season)," he told AFP.

"People in hotels used to be so nice -- smiling and taking care of us -- but they don't have time anymore... And hotel prices have gone through the roof."

International arrivals have rocketed, with almost 365,000 foreigners jetting into the main city Yangon in 2011, up 22 percent on the previous year and almost double the figure for 2003, industry figures show.

This year is likely to see another jump, with more than 175,000 arrivals between January and April, against almost 130,000 in the same period of 2011.

According to the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism, there are only around 8,000 hotels rooms in the city.

At Yangon's famed golden Shwedagon Pagoda, the slow, circular promenade around the majestic golden spire was until recently mainly the preserve of local couples, children and burgundy-robed monks.

But recently foreigners have at times appeared to out-number locals, their cameras seemingly searching for the rare frame not to include a posse of other visitors.

Phyoe Wai Yar Zar, of the Myanmar Tourism Board, said the tourism influx had also caused "unprecedented congestion" at hotels, especially in Yangon, which have begun inflating their prices in response.

"Potential holiday makers may opt for other destinations in the region," he added.

Westerners used to the relative ease of travelling in other Southeast Asian countries, like neighbouring Thailand, are also being caught out by other symptoms of Myanmar's long years of isolation under military rule.

There are almost no places where credit and debit cards or travellers' cheques are accepted so visitors must bring all the money they need for their trip with them in US dollar bills.

While recent reforms mean there are more official moneychangers competing with the black market, the dollar bills must be crisp and clean or they will be rejected.

"Candidly speaking, there have been some tourists who arrived in Myanmar with insufficient information and did not bring enough cash for their stay," said Phyoe Wai Yar Zar.

But he stressed that travel agents were often able to help.

"It is the nature of Myanmar people to give assistance to the people in trouble."

The government is scrambling to improve the country's tourism infrastructure, with efforts to build new hotels and upgrade transport links at major tourist destinations.

Travel is currently centred on four main sites connected by internal flights -- Yangon, Inle Lake in eastern Shan State, the temples of Bagan and the royal capital Mandalay.

"A lot of the tourist money is concentrated into certain parts of the country," said Andrew Appleyard at British adventure tour operator Exodus Travels, which returned to the country last year after a decade-long hiatus.

Appleyard said the company, which advocates responsible travel, plans to take up to 400 people into the country annually but said there was an awareness that all operators were facing the problem of "making money out of an emerging country that can't cope".

"We will continue to operate there and look at best practice but clients' expectations are going to have to be managed, if they go there," he said.

"Service is slow, things don't always work and you are going to have to share places like Shwedagon with hundreds of tourists."

Source: AFP
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Well, if this lot spreads, there might just not be the demand.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18384929
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

The hotels must be in part owned by the Thais given their usurious increases ha, ha.
I hope Klaus got out of Sittwe what with the state of emergency now declared. The bloody Bangladeshis are swarming over the border into Rakhine state with perhaps 100,000's of illegal settlers slashing and burning.
I would not be surprised to learn of damage being done to the architectural wonders around mrauk-U.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

pharvey wrote:^ Well, if this lot spreads, there might just not be the demand.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18384929
The wife, our son and wife's family went to Burma a couple of weeks ago, no probs then but I'm glad I did not go with them.

But I did get to see the crap she bought there, most of it was from Thailand !!! :cuss:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.