The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by hhfarang »

Pharvey wrote:
Another I'm going to looking out for in the coming weeks is ''In Time", a story set in the future future where people stop aging at 25, but are engineered to live only one more year, having the means to buy your way out of the situation is a shot at immortal youth.
We bought this DVD today at the small shop in the aisle on the 2nd floor of market village and just finished watching it. It is an incredible concept where no one ages past 25. At 25 you are given a year that starts ticking down immediately. The old saying "time is money" is real in this movie as time is the only currency left and if you go broke you die. You pay for everything from transportation to food with time. You can work for extra time, steal it, borrow it, inherit it, give it away, win it, etc., just like money and it lends a whole new view of the idea of Capitalism and the 99% vs the 1% with protected "time zones" that separate the rich, who have decades worth of time stored and the poor who literally live "one day at a time".

Good flick that will make you think.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Recently watched Moneyball and Realsteel, enjoyed both.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Bought Real Steal yesterday also. Will probably be watching it tonight. :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

ANONYMOUS

A little conspiracy pot boiler set in the time of Elizabeth 1st concerning the well trodden academic argument that old Shakespeare didnt actually write one line of anything attributed to him, instead acting as the front man for the Earl of Oxford who, for political reasons, could not be associated with writing plays and sonnets. Along the way it also wraps around poor old Ben Johnson, whose works are easily equal to Shakeys on any day of the week, the failed Essex Rebellion, and the machinatons of the Percy family who replaced Elizabeth with James of Scotland on her death.

For a fan of Shakey and history of the period its top quality watching, but I can see where some viewers would get lost in the plot complexities and wide range of famous characters from the time. The visuals and acting are top stuff though, and its well worth a watch if you like historical dramas. I also liked the sly nod to Brannaghs famous film production of Henry V by using Derek Jacobi as a classic mode dramatic narrator at each end of the film. The whole production plays out like a Shakespearian tradgedy, so the use of the narrator fits perfectly.

I loved it, but its a real suck it and see film methinks for non-Shakey fans.

Gets a hearty three cheers in my book and a solid keeper all the way.

Out and about in BDRIIP formats at all the usual suspect sites.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Quiet week in (to recoup from an overspend in early January) so................

Re-watched the Fred Dibnah TV series. Classic stuff. How the North of England used to be in the 'good old days'

Also re-watched Lee Marvin in Point Blank followed by the French version which is probably more thrilling
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Watched a cam version of HUGO. Not my scene at all :(
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Kerp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kerp »

Just got Moneyball. Looking interesting.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

BaaBaa. wrote:Recently watched Moneyball and Realsteel, enjoyed both.
Realsteel, surprised me. Finally. An American movie worth watching. :thumb:
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

THE THREE MUSKETEERS

Like pirate films I love sooooo much you just can't go wrong in my book with a slap up dash of buckles being swashed and a flick full of Musketeer fun.

This retread of the old classic takes its cues more from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen than the 70s Brit made classic versions with Olly Reed, but retains some of those films mass stages sword fights and slapstick. It blends retro-sci-fi with swashbucklng, and concerns the plot by Richelau and Milady to supply airship war vessel tech to the English to overthrow the French monarchy and install Richelau on the throne. The only men left to face the enemy down are the three very washed up, redundant and delusioned Musketeers, spurred on by the new blood D'Artagnian.

Mlla Jovovich is hot as Milady, Mads Mikkleson is excellent as the sinister and psychotic Rochefort, Orando Bloom does a fine English toff cad act, and the three musketeers each play their part with fun wrapped up tight around each role. The fights are explosive, the special CGI effects a treat to watch, and the whole shebang ends with a very obvious hook to a sequel I hope dearly they make.

I loved it, but its a suck it and see for others methinks. Some may be put off by the new "powder-punk" sci-fi treatment but I loved it and thought it brought a fresh air to the well trodden genre.

A three rousing hurrahs keeper all the way.

Out and about in BDRIP format including sub 700mb copies at all the usual places.

Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

:agree:

Downloaded it today and just watched it
A good bit of escapism.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

glad you liked it mate

I like the way the film industry is adding new feels to classics like this and Sherlock Holmes by adding a dash of retro-sci fi steampunk ..... or in this case gunpowderpunk. DVDRIPS of the new Sherlock Holmes film wll be out soon and that looks excellent.

If like me you are a fan of the old 70s classic Brit versions of the Musketeers films (the ones with Olly Reed in) you can find all 3 of them, and the real classic 30s and 50s Hollywood ones, at veehd.

This week I have been re-watching all my collection of old 40s/50s Brit comedies and Ealing classics....a steady diet of St. Trinians, Terry Thomas and Pete Sellars, Sid James, etc....... they really dont make em like that any more.

BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

MrPlum wrote:
BaaBaa. wrote:Recently watched Moneyball and Realsteel, enjoyed both.
Realsteel, surprised me. Finally. An American movie worth watching. :thumb:
I wouldn't have seen Realsteel as your type of thing MrP but yeah, I was pleasantly surprised.
erika08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by erika08 »

I recently watched The Orphanage, it's a horror spanish movie. and I really like the story.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

With Daniel Craig, Cristopher Plummer & others

Twisting thriller around a journalist seeking revenge, a family of Danish Nazis and a weird young lady with the tattoo.

Some somewhat gratuitous rape & revenge scenes included, but a really good thriller set in modern day Denmark.

Very atmospheric and a good watch.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Terry wrote:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

With Daniel Craig, Cristopher Plummer & others

Twisting thriller around a journalist seeking revenge, a family of Danish Nazis and a weird young lady with the tattoo.

Some somewhat gratuitous rape & revenge scenes included, but a really good thriller set in modern day Denmark.

Very atmospheric and a good watch.
:agree: Watch the triology :thumb:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY