Ways to watch a downloaded movie on your TV

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
JAFO

Re: Ways to watch a downloaded movie on your TV

Post by JAFO »

m_right wrote:
migrant wrote:Recently bought a internet TV and blu ray internet player.

The TV is ready set for netflix, napster, and about 8 others.

With the blu ray you can log on to the internet so anything available plays there. Like hooking the TV to a computer, but a bit more direct.

Now the wife can watch lakorns on youtube
I have been looking to get one but can you really use those services like netfli, napster etc? I'm talking about in Thailand.
m_right,
I posted a response to Migrant up above. The answer is nope...sadly. So do not spend extra money on it. There are no sources to stream it from here. I have found a few Thai internet sites to watch some US/Australia programming but the quality is terrible and not worth watching IMHO.

Buy a Good LED TV with HDMI or USB and DL and play on TV. I have a satellite dish for the local stuff and that's it.
tuna22
Amateur
Amateur

Post by tuna22 »

ll
Last edited by tuna22 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuna22
Amateur
Amateur

Post by tuna22 »

JAFO wrote:
m_right wrote:
migrant wrote:Recently bought a internet TV and blu ray internet player.

The TV is ready set for netflix, napster, and about 8 others.

With the blu ray you can log on to the internet so anything available plays there. Like hooking the TV to a computer, but a bit more direct.

Now the wife can watch lakorns on youtube
I have been looking to get one but can you really use those services like netfli, napster etc? I'm talking about in Thailand.
Buy a Good LED TV with HDMI or USB and DL and play on TV. I have a satellite dish for the local stuff and that's it.
I agree about purchasing an internet ready TV. Samsung LED is high on my list. What I do here (Kentucky), to supplement limited TV programming is to hook up the Sony PS3 (Blue Ray Capable) via HDMI and to get all of the internet available programming through subscription. Sports subscriptions will be mandatory luggage for my extended stay in Thailand (and my sanity), such as US Major League Baseball and the NHL. The PS3 is $250 US and will work flawlessly on any TV, has Netflix and a variety of movie viewing options which has a substantial 160MB+ hard drive for downloading. In addition it is one of the best Blue Ray players.

I did not test this configuration when I was in HH, however my computer struggled to stream the live Yankee Baseball games on my laptop when I was in bangkok. The hotel had an erratic wireless connection. If HH internet is poor quality, then you can download the event to play back later on.
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

tuna22 wrote: I agree about purchasing an internet ready TV. Samsung LED is high on my list.
I have a 48" Samsung LED true HDTV with HDMI and Dual USB inputs with surround sound. Excellent TV.
tuna22 wrote:Sports subscriptions will be mandatory luggage for my extended stay in Thailand (and my sanity), such as US Major League Baseball and the NHL. The PS3 is $250 US and will work flawlessly on any TV, has Netflix and a variety of movie viewing options which has a substantial 160MB+ hard drive for downloading. In addition it is one of the best Blue Ray players.
Please keep in mind preloaded Netflix and other streaming websites will not be accessible here. The content is blocked. I am hoping someone finds a way around that but I seriously doubt it unless you ping through multiple IP's tricking Netflix, Hulu etc into thinking your IP connection is in the US.
tuna22 wrote:I did not test this configuration when I was in HH, however my computer struggled to stream the live Yankee Baseball games on my laptop when I was in bangkok. The hotel had an erratic wireless connection. If HH internet is poor quality, then you can download the event to play back later on.
I have watched MLB on MLB.com. I have not paid for the subscription but have watched the free games they offer from time to time. Streaming was not to bad. MLB offers a team package for $79 bucks a season I believe. Pricey IMHO as most the games will be in the early morning...I mean early. NHL nor NFL offer this streaming as of yet. I do DL some games and watch later.

I follow this thread as I have great interest in methods to get some programming here. The Premium TrueMove satellite and others are poor at best and quite expensive. Its like the US, you are paying for a myriad of TV's channels you simply will not watch but they bundle it up.

Best of luck to all
tuna22
Amateur
Amateur

Post by tuna22 »

Please keep in mind preloaded Netflix and other streaming websites will not be accessible here. The content is blocked. I am hoping someone finds a way around that but I seriously doubt it unless you ping through multiple IP's tricking Netflix, Hulu etc into thinking your IP connection is in the US.
How is content "blocked"?

http://vpnfreedom.com/netflix/how-to-wa ... x-in-asia/
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

When you load Netflix, it will load main page. When you try and play a movie you get a dialogue box stating that "Unfortunately your IP was detected as not being in the content area Netflix allows for coverage due to copyright infringement laws"

However I have heard that Netflix is going international and is offering service to some specific countries. But after the CEO's blunder and the brutal stock hit a lot of international growth was shelved for the near term.
If I am wrong please correct me as I would not want to state or disseminate inaccurate information.

If you are in the US best advice is to contact Netflix customer service and see what they say. I did not renew my account 2 years ago and recently tried using my parents account to log in to check with the same results. Now one thing in fairness maybe they have an international pkg unbeknownst to me. I have not seen or heard of one but that does not mean it does not exist.
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

Tuna22,
So I tried the link you supplied. Front page with tutorial seems promising with a few caveats. 1) The limited promo software is $7 a month. That is basic. The "Pro VPN" is more but for some reason I was unable to access the info. This site "http://w3.mict.go.th/" would no load from here. Address could not be found or blocked here. One thing I am finding is that Thailand has started a pretty aggressive web content censorship. While HMA states Asia, it is a pretty big place. 2) you then need to sign up for a Netflix account using a 5 digit zip code in US( No biggie just use the Debit card Zipcode. Of course you have to decided if you want the membership or not hoping this will work.

I will further investigate. I have found numerous sites over the years stating IP redirecting using a trick from server to server. I have found limited or unreliable success here. In China and Japan entirely different story. Never been a problem....sadly

Being honest I do not really care to use Netflix persay, I am pretty well set up but I am always interested in software that really works here. I have tried so many back in US then came here and not functional.

Thanks for the link
tuna22
Amateur
Amateur

Post by tuna22 »

JAFO,

Thanks for trying! And thank you for the info. What set-up do you use for Thailand, as I am curious to see what really works there.
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

Tuna,
I am a Torrent/Magnetic link downloader. I then either play right out of my laptop or transfer to my USB's and it loads into the TV(quite cool IMHO) It is very effective and I watch what I want(commercial free) and not flipping through a bunch of bundled up channels. I can set up my own prime time if I want to and have on a few occasions for fun. I can have a CSI night, or NCIS night or a Syfy/Thriller night. I have also mixed them up.

For some this method might be cumbersome and they want a turn on a TV and watch. I understand that but the TrueMove package is more then US closing in on $100 a month and the programming is not even close to par. If you couple that with a good high speed internet service you can spend $120 to $140 a month. That is huge number when you consider renting a condo in most places is about $250 to $300 for a nice place with security and car park.

Now I am not a sit in front of TV guy but do like my US TV programs from time to time. I also watch some sports. In the end TV here is poor at best IMHO so I try and tell people if you are coming over here to relax and sit in front of a TV better rethink your plan. I also recommend that if you buy a TV here, make sure it is a dual language and dual USB. Some Thai channels offer it in English which is convenient. The Dual USB is nice as one Thumbdrive can be loaded with movies and the other with TV series and you can toggle back and forth with your remote. I have the local satellite dish so my GF can watch her Lakorns. It works great, a one time fee of 900 baht for dish, box and install. No monthly fees. I have 3B internet and it is very very fast. In fact faster then it ever was in BKK. I have DL'd some shows in as fast as 4 minutes. Longest has been 45 minutes for a 1.3gb HD movie. I have also DL'd entire seasons with 12 to 14 episodes. Took about 4 hrs.

Of course on the DVD side of things, you can get most movies and series for low prices anywhere in Thailand. Quality is always suspect but for a buck or so it can be a cheap risk. I have a few local websites I can order and have mailed to me very high quality DVD sets with US HDTV shows with Thai hard coded subtitles. Nice sometimes when the GF wants to watch. She usually watches my programs as she has no issue with the English language.

Anyway, hope that helps.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Got a bizarre little problem here which maybe someone has a fix for.

A couple of the movies I've downloaded will only play the soundtrack and music but with the voices muted - tried on K-Lite 8.20 and VLC Player and its the same.

Tried the file on another computer and it works fine. Any ideas?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

JAFO wrote:Tuna,

I have a few local websites I can order and have mailed to me very high quality DVD sets with US HDTV shows with Thai hard coded subtitles.
Can you list some?
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte