The new Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
dom77
Amateur
Amateur

Re: The new Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin

Post by dom77 »

I would not use either Sao Paulo or Bangkok Hospital - Hua HIn Hospital is affordable comfortable and amazing - a relative has had 3 proceedures there - an excellent place @
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Only interested because it would be easier to winch me off my balcony in Condo Chain to get there rather than cross Petcha by foot, motorbike or car :laugh: Could I suppose construct a death slide :laugh: :laugh:
A zip line would be easy to put up if the landing site is down hill from your balcony... may have trouble hanging on though if you are in the middle of a heart attack or stroke... :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

We are pleased to announce that Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin have joined our list of forum sponsors: http://www.huahinmedia.com/bangkok-hospital-huahin.php
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A nice page, but through experience (my wife was admitted to Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin as an emergency last night), it does not require the information that I needed. Their own website doesn't contain vital information either.

When I contacted my insurers here in the UK, the first thing they wanted to know was the hospital name. I told them Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin. After a pause while they searched their computer, they asked if that was the one in Koh Samui? First problem, not all UK insurers recognise Bangkok Hospital, Hua Hin.

The insurers needed the hospital's phone number and fax number - I had to phone somebody on a mobile, and they had to ask for this information.

OK, I got the information in pretty quick time, but what if I didn't know anybody in Hua Hin - it could have delayed urgent treatment.

This is an observation through personal experience. Those 2 small pieces of information could prevent a lot of heartache scrambling around for basic information, and potentially save lives.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Big Boy wrote:A nice page, but through experience (my wife was admitted to Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin as an emergency last night), it does not require the information that I needed. Their own website doesn't contain vital information either.

When I contacted my insurers here in the UK, the first thing they wanted to know was the hospital name. I told them Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin. After a pause while they searched their computer, they asked if that was the one in Koh Samui? First problem, not all UK insurers recognise Bangkok Hospital, Hua Hin.

The insurers needed the hospital's phone number and fax number - I had to phone somebody on a mobile, and they had to ask for this information.

OK, I got the information in pretty quick time, but what if I didn't know anybody in Hua Hin - it could have delayed urgent treatment.

This is an observation through personal experience. Those 2 small pieces of information could prevent a lot of heartache scrambling around for basic information, and potentially save lives.

Trust that your wife is recovering ok...
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Sorry to hear about your wife, Big Boy. Damn worrying when you are not there, even if she has other family.

As for the Website, there are others much better qualified than me to comment, but from what I can see it is just another TIT way. I run up against similar Thai websites regularly, just trying to find basic information. They are more concerned with making it look pretty, than making it useful.

(And it is good to see that they have at last become a sponsor)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
TimandT
Professional
Professional

Post by TimandT »

No fax number (+66 3261 6801) but telephone number on Bangkok Hospital Website.

http://www.bangkokhospital.com/huahin/i ... westhuahin
Bangkok Hospital.jpg
Bangkok Hospital.jpg (44.61 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for the good wishes. They originally thought it was cancer, but immediate tests ruled that out. She's on the mend, and will hopefully be released tomorrow.

TimandT those are the numbers I was given, and the site I was looking at. However (although I was panicking a bit), I didn't find them when I needed them. They're certainly not on their Contact Us section.

Dr Mike, meant as a constructive criticsm. The patient's family should be just as important, and such detail should be readily available.

Points 48; Position 20
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

During my absence and in between my travels, I have had a couple of body scans,

The first was an MRI full body vascular scan which involved an injection of Gadolinium, the second, a few days later, was a vascular CAT scan, which also involved an injection of contrast. The detail of the computer images were truly amazing.

I saw the results last Friday, I could see all my bodies blood vessels (good :D and bad :cry: ) as clear as day.

My question to Dr Mike is, are these procedures available in the BKK hospital in HH and if so, at what sort of cost? I believe it is possible to get these procedures in one or two hospitals in Bangkok but it would be nice to avoid a six hour round trip if possible, should I ever need to undergo these diagnostic procedures in Thailand.

A link for anyone who wants to know what is involved in the MRI scan. The CAT scan is similar but a lot quicker.
http://www.insideradiology.com.au/pages ... hp?T_id=23

:thumb:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
TimandT
Professional
Professional

Post by TimandT »

TimandT wrote:No fax number (+66 3261 6801) but telephone number on Bangkok Hospital Website.
http://www.bangkokhospital.com/huahin/i ... westhuahin
The link will take you to the contact us section, but a bit difficult to click on the Western Thailand section, especially if you are in a panic.
Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin - Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin 2011-05-23 20-19-43.jpeg
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Khundon1975 wrote:My question to Dr Mike is, are these procedures available in the BKK hospital in HH and if so, at what sort of cost? I believe it is possible to get these procedures in one or two hospitals in Bangkok but it would be nice to avoid a six hour round trip if possible, should I ever need to undergo these diagnostic procedures in Thailand.
And a related, piggy-back question: Does BH-HH have an "open" MRI machine? i.e. Not an enclosed tunnel through which the body passes?

If the MRI is not open, is it at least farang sized? I had a major panic attack when they tried to MRI me at BNH in Bangkok. I had to scrunch my shoulders to fit inside, and the breath bouncing back on my face totally freaked me out. They had to transfer me via ambulance to another hospital which had an open MRI machine. I'm *hoping* for a state-of-the-art MRI machine at BH-HH which is open architecture.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

At the presentb time we do not havean MRI but should have one later in tthe year. Open or tunnel I do not know
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I'll ask them to add the fax number--but if you are OK with this I will wait a week to see if there are any other changes needed

They have started to install the MRI--- I have not heard of any community this small having an MRI (Staggering cost) it is the tunnel mode.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Darn. I guess I'll need to check in with your anaesthesiologist to be sedated before I get an MRI. :-(

That said, I'm glad that at least BH-HH is getting an MRI.

Thanks for your presence and participation, Dr. Mike!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been watching this thread for many months, hoping that it was a facility that I wouldn't need for a long time. Unfortunately, my wife has been in Thailand for a few weeks, and she developed breathing problems. From my home in the UK, I eventually persuaded her to go to Bangkok Hospital.

She attended the hospital at 2am, and was seen by the doctor right away. Initial assessment showed some potential worrying problems with her lungs. The doctor spoke to me in the UK (her English was quite good - an awful lot better than my Thai), and confirmed that I could pay for the necessary diagnostic treatment required to accurately diagnose my wife's problems. I explained that the insurance would pay, but my wife should receive whatever treatment she required - I would pay if necessary.

The necessary diagnostics were carried out, and thankfully the worst scenario was discounted, but she still required considerable treatment. She was moved to a room, and my daughter and grand daughters were permitted to stay with her, which helped to make her feel better.

My wife was full of praise for the doctors and nurses, and the treatment she received. I was impressed by the fact you had the necessary diagnostic equipment at hand, and were able to deliver an accurate diagnosis of what was originally a very worrying condition within a couple of hours. A similar process would have taken several weeks in the UK under the NHS.

On release, my wife was provided with a full breakdown of costs, a CD containing images of x-rays and scans, a series of lab reports and full medical reports in both Thai and English - very impressive.

Never having had to pay for this sort of treatment before, I have no idea as to whether the cost was reasonable. However, my gut feeling was that it was worth every penny.

Only one downside, I had got my wife's holiday insurance company involved even before the doctor contacted me. The insurance company's agents were actively engaged with the hospital (my wife's leaving pack contained all of the correspondence proving this). However, when it was time to release my wife, they insisted on payment up front ignoring all of the work being done by the insurance company. This turned out to be a waste of everybody's time, and I now have to start again making a retrospective claim. Fortunately, payment was not a problem, but if my wife did not have the money, it could have caused unecessary anxiety.

A big thank you to Bankok Hospital for a very efficient service.

Points 48; Position 20