The vibrant lives of the fishermen of Khao Takiab

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
buksida

The vibrant lives of the fishermen of Khao Takiab

Post by buksida »

By the time a savory fish reaches a plate under your nose in Bangkok, it has traveled on a journey from the sea through nets, buckets, trays, ice boxes and the hands of fishermen, wholesalers, transporters and market vendors. If 300 baht seems like a lot to pay for a white snapper, consider all the effort that went into bringing that succulent creature from the sea to your table.

Some of the seafood in Bangkok’s restaurants comes from a fishing village at the far south end of Khao Takiab (Chopsticks Mountain) beach near the resort of Hua Hin (about two hours south of Bangkok). Many fishermen will sleep during the mid-day heat and then venture out to sea on wooden boats at sundown.

View gallery and read more: CNNGo
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: The vibrant lives of the fishermen of Khao Takiab

Post by STEVE G »

When I'm in town, I always make sure some of that lot gets diverted onto my plate before it ends up in Bangkok!
I like to go for walk down the pier in Hua Hin and watch the larger fishing boats getting unloaded. You see some strange things coming off, rays, small sharks and all sorts of other fish.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The vibrant lives of the fishermen of Khao Takiab

Post by kendo »

Its shamefull some of those fish they regard as keepers, only if they could understand the lodgic that let a fish mature and reproduce before regarding it as tasty fair for the markets.

Only if they could realise that they are making it so much harder to maintain fish stocks and damaging there industry for future generations.

Another thing that i dont like to see is people fishing off the pier catching the real tiddlers and not throwing them back, just disregarding them on to the hard standing.

Kendo. :rant: :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.