Premier League 2009-10

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Re: final

Post by Zidane »

redzonerocker wrote:
Zidane wrote:
I think if it hadnt have been the first 5 minutes of a Cup Final then Vidic may well have been sent off but . . . . .
whehter it's the first or last minute,the rules are the rules :|
the fact that he didn't even get booked is even more shocking :shock:

so should Collins who a few minutes later,as the last defender,chopped down Owen.
owen was heading for the corner flag :shock: hardly a goalscoring opportunity :?
Now,now....I can understand you feeling a little emotional today....being caught in the IKTS by Baa-Baa and Big Boy is enough to tip anyone over the edge !
Owen was through in the inside left position (not saying he would have scored) so definitely a goal scoring opportunity....Collins and Vidic deserved a similar fate...in this case stay on the pitch for the good of the game....right or wrong who knows ?
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: final

Post by redzonerocker »

Zidane wrote:
Now,now....I can understand you feeling a little emotional today....being caught in the IKTS by Baa-Baa and Big Boy is enough to tip anyone over the edge !

depressing i know :(
courtesy of the alphabet to rub it in :(
Owen was through in the inside left position (not saying he would have scored) so definitely a goal scoring opportunity....Collins and Vidic deserved a similar fate...in this case stay on the pitch for the good of the game....right or wrong who knows ?
watch the two incidents again & compare them, just take the fergie tinted glasses off first :wink: :D
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The only debate this morning was about the Vidic tackle. On 5-live, ex-ref Graham Poll said the referee got it right and everyone else was wrong.

Of course, he's the ref that booked the same player 3 times in a World Cup match and as a consequence, was dropped from the ref's list!

He probably got that one right as well! :mrgreen:
Talk is cheap
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Graham Poll always comes across as a real decent down to earth bloke, who IMO tried to have banter with the players in an effort to get the players in the right spirit for a match, rather than your usual standoff'ish authoritarian type of ref. But I think he just wasn't a very good ref overall and seemed to like the limelight too much.
Admired him for at least trying to set the right spirit.

SJ
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

refs

Post by redzonerocker »

i actually quite like dowd as a ref & he's usually pretty good.

he got the vidic incident woefully wrong, not red carding him was bad enough, but not to even book him :shock: , that was unbelievably poor refereeing :shock:
do you reckon he was done in by fergies mind games, after sending off two manure players at fulham?? :?

as for poll, like a lot of the top refs, once they hit the limelight, it seems to go to their heads :(

howard webb is another example, he seems to have lost his way a bit since hitting the refereeing heights :? :|
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Wigan 1 - 0 Liverpool.

Thats it for 4th spot for the scousers and probably time-up for Rafa as well.

Screwed my ITKS predictions as well! :cuss:
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Saw a show last night about football legends and they gave the life story of Sir Stanley Matthews. What a guy, he played into his 50's! :shock: On his memory alone I can see why Stoke fans are loyal. I wonder if the football world will see the likes of him again, or Pele. I doubt it. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

wigan

Post by redzonerocker »

caller wrote:Wigan 1 - 0 Liverpool.

Thats it for 4th spot for the scousers and probably time-up for Rafa as well.
i wouldn't quite go that far cos i think there'll still be a few more twists & turns yet, but . . . , they were dreadful tonight!!!!, :mrgreen:
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Wigan,devoid of confidence and struggling near the foot of the table....suffering from a goal drought with their top scorer,Rodallega,last scoring on Boxing Day.
Liverpool,hungry for victory to keep their hopes of Champions League qualification alive,their big guns Gerrard and Torres back in action.
Surely their could be only one result........but it wasnt this one ! :oops:
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: Premier League 2009-10

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Nice result wigan 1 liverpool 0. But yes there are going to be may twists yet, Fancy Villa?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Manchester United 2 Liverpool 1
I think United deserved to win although Torres missed two good chances in the second half.
Valencia was just about my man of the match but I thought Rooney and Ferdinand were excellent too.....also Gary Neville looked a better right back than Glen Johnson.
And what of Liverpool (and Benitez).....why did they take Kuyt off early and why did they wait until 7 minutes from the end before putting Benayoun on ?
Gerrard looked a shadow of his former self......difficult for Liverpool to claim that 4th Champions League place now.
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Zidane wrote:Manchester United 2 Liverpool 1
I think United deserved to win although Torres missed two good chances in the second half.
Valencia was just about my man of the match but I thought Rooney and Ferdinand were excellent too.....also Gary Neville looked a better right back than Glen Johnson.
And what of Liverpool (and Benitez).....why did they take Kuyt off early and why did they wait until 7 minutes from the end before putting Benayoun on ?
Gerrard looked a shadow of his former self......difficult for Liverpool to claim that 4th Champions League place now.
MOTM-Webb.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

BaaBaa. wrote:
MOTM-Webb.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:( & he's supposed to be our top ref!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :(
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Post by stgrhe »

Manchester United should not have been awarded a penalty as the fault on Valencia commenced outside the penalty area. It is where and fault commences and not where the person falls that determines the point of fault. In this case it was a clear free kick, not a penalty. It is the linesman's duty to help the referee with that decision.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

stgrhe wrote:Manchester United should not have been awarded a penalty as the fault on Valencia commenced outside the penalty area. It is where and fault commences and not where the person falls that determines the point of fault.
Correctamundo. That's why Ronaldo gets so frustrated with ref's when his penalty appeals are turned down and the free kick is moved back to the point of inital contact, the half-way line. :tsk:

SJ