Worst Premiership Pitch?

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Is the Chelsea pitch acceptable at Premiership level?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:15 am

Yes I am a Chelsea fan so it is acceptable
67%
No it is completely unacceptable so Chelsea can never be regarded as the 'true' Champions
33%

Total votes: 3

tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Diving sadly is part of the game now from all teams.

Not sure if the right person but did not Hypia get a player sent off in premiership match this season.

Just wait until the European matches start, you will see some of the best dives outside of an Olympic pool.

I as many on here used to play local sunday league football, after every match my ankles and legs were black and blue but that is part of the game.

I cant remember anyone rolling around like they had just lost a leg.

Mike.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Premiership footballers (in general) are a bunch of over paid, cheating, diving, greedy, respectless, brainless no good scumball tossers. They are one of the reasons that the Uk has become what it is today. They have influenced society in a big way. The beautiful game is in dire need of some plastic surgery.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

I think sportsmen and women in any sport will always try to get away with something, e.g. athletics and doping, rugby and punching etc, but the problems in football is that (a)they are being allowed to get away with it too often, and (b)the penalties when they are caught doing something wrong are too lenient. I don't blame referees and assistant refs as they have a near impossible job as it is - they really do need some assistance in that. The authorities have made statements about clamping down on diving, or simulation as they called it, but this has not really been followed through. I think a period where overly severe penalties are imposed on both the club and the player are needed, such as points being deducted and massive fines and bans to rid the game of the problem once and for all, but it ain't gonna happen as FIFA, UEFA and the FAs are too weak in the face of the big businesses, i.e. Real Madrid, Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Chelsea etc.

I'm sure many people remember the World Cup in 2002 when Brazil won a corner when playing Turkey. The ball was kicked towards Rivaldo, probably slightly harder than necessary by a Turkish player, which hit Rivaldo on the shins. He went down clutching his face, and the Turkish player was sent off. As far as I recall Rivaldo was found guilty afterwards, but received a relatively paltry fine of about $5000, whereas he should have been banned for club and country for several matches and fined much more severely, particularly because FIFA had made a statement before that World Cup specifically targeting this issue!

As I heard on TV the other night, a difference has to be pointed out between diving and 'making the most of contact', but this is why it is so hard for referees on the spot. It would be a big help if players were more honest, and also if the rest of the players didn't get involved every time there is a flashpoint. I would like to see referees brandishing yellow and red cards every time a player disputes his decision; it is Ok for the Captain to enquire but other than him and the player(s) directly involved there is no need for the other players to. I also think any approach or dispute with an assistant ref should be an instant red card, and appeals to get another player carded should be a yellow card. This is all possible within the FIFA rules of the game as follows:
Cautionable Offences
A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following seven offences:
1. is guilty of unsporting behaviour
2. shows dissent by word or action
3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game
4. delays the restart of play
5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick
6. enters or re-enters the field of play without the referee’s permission
7. deliberately leaves the field of playwithout the referee’s permission
Sending-Off Offences
A player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:
1. is guilty of serious foul play
2. is guilty of violent conduct
3. spits at an opponent or any other person
4. denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his ownpenalty area)
5. denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
6. uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
7. receives a second caution in the same match

I think the refs need to impose themselves more and be respected (or feared if necessary) by the players as they are in other sports. Sorry this has been a bit long but I hate to see football becoming the ugly game that it is sometimes. Having said all that, for those who love the beautiful game, it is still being played at some clubs - COME ON YOU IRONS!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Don't know why this has just entered my head? But does anyone know - or care - if its still a fact that more countries are affiliated to FIFA than the UN?
Talk is cheap