General health Checkup

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

General health Checkup

Post by sandman67 »

anyone got a recommendation for somewhere to go get a general health checkup (blood pressure, cholesterol etc).....?

Do the Polyclinic place do a thorough one?

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Hi Sandman,

They (International Poly Clinic) probably do the best one in town for the price. A little farther afield, if you want a real hospital, Petcharat Hospital in Petchaburi (the mother hospital of the Polyclinic) will do a thorough one at a reasonable price although they gave me a scare once when they mixed up my chest xray with someone elses who had a serious heart problem. I have done one at both of those places and a very expensive and thorough one at Bumrungrad in Bangkok.

The hospital I've been using for a little over a year now and that I think is gives the best value and competence for the money is St. Louis on Sathorn road in Bangkok. They are an international private hospital that has the same capabilities and imo personnel competency at half the price of Bumrungrad. They can do the same for so much less because they are a non profit private hospital sponsored by the Catholic church.

Besides, it will give you an excuse to go for a Bangkok holiday. Everyone needs to get out of this burg to the big city once in a while! :D

Or, as an alternative, you could just go see MrPlum... (just joking MrP) :wink:
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I have heard the army one in Pranburi does it at a fraction of the cost of Bumrungrad .No experience myself so cannot comment further .

Crazy 88
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

General Health checkup

Post by margaretcarnes »

Nice to hear that SOME folks (HHF!) appreciate the need for a trip to Bangers now and then. Couldn't agree more.
More locally though yes, we had to use the Pranburi Military hospital once and I was very impressed with the consultant. It was a while back, and wasn't for a general check - although it ended up being a pretty thorough check anyway. Full report sent. Excellent English spoken by the doc in question. Good value at the time too.
I would certainly give it a go first Sandman. You can always use a Bangkok hospital later if you aren't happy with Pranburi and probably won't lose much anyway. More to gain IMO. :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Amarita

Post by Amarita »

I would recommend that you go to Bumrungrad hospital if you want
a serious check up. That is if you dont know what tests you want.
HH International PClinic is not up to date compared to western standards
for medicine.
I was treated for pneumonia and astma last November and was told when I came home that this was not a moderne treatment. I had to start all over again with 5 weeks of sick leave.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

hhfarang wrote:Or, as an alternative, you could just go see MrPlum... (just joking MrP) :wink:
No problem, hh. I'll chat to anyone if it helps them.

I've been to Bumrungrad myself. More out of curiosity than because anything was wrong. Putting my health profits hat on, the diagnostics business is growing and these 'well man' clinics are a great way to rustle up new business for the industry. Hypochondriacs and the 'worried well' are happy and probably taking medication they weren't taking before. They will be getting colonoscopies and x-rays and ultrasound and whatever other spin-offs are on offer.

From a non-toxic standpoint, God knows what all these radiating devices are doing to your cells.

As a customer, they did inform me my cholesterol was 'too high'. After researching I decided they were wrong and it was within healthy parameters. The cholesterol theory (and it is still a theory) has been turned into something to fear and made vast fortunes for the low fat food and health industry. The human body does everything it can to maintain homeostasis. It doesn't make mistakes. If cholesterol is high, it's because the body needs it to be high for a reason, such as improving blood flow through the arteries because we are not drinking enough water... or protecting the blood vessels from acidic states. The remedy is not to spend a fortune on low fat foods or medicines but to drink more water and eat more fruit and veg, while reducing the number of dead animals we consume. Problem solved.

Mankind managed for thousands of years not concerning themselves with the degree to which cholesterol may or may not contribute to atherosclerosis. For an unproven (but very lucrative) theory it's sure got everyone's knickers in a twist. :shock:

You may test positive for certain things yet you may not develop an illness. They test for antibodies to Hepatitis B for instance. Even if you test positive, it doesn't mean you will succumb to illness. The antibody theory of protection is another medical sacred cow that is open to challenge.

The HIV test is another concern for me. If I tested positive for HIV I would almost certainly start to die just from the shock and fear. Since I have learned to distrust the accuracy of HIV tests and apparently HIV has never been shown to cause AIDS, then I could probably cope with a positive result. Could you?

The advice for high blood sugar is to learn to test your own blood sugar. The industry just made a packet on selling you a machine that you will become a slave to. If the sugar doesn't get you, the worry will. If you are guzzling sodas, orange juice, eating ice cream, cakes, biscuits, white sugar or substitute sugars, then cut down or eliminate them.

You can go on the treadmill which will conclude you are unfit and need to exercise more but you knew that anyway. If you are overweight, smoke and drink and your diet is poor, then you know you are a heart attack risk. Why spend a lot of money for someone to tell you what you already know? Or are you simply hoping for a clean bill of health that allows you to carry on with your toxifying lifestyle?

Not sure why Mr S needs to go. He looks stronger than me. He knows his lifestyle could be better and he knows what will improve his health. We all do if we are honest with ourselves. If he has a specific concern he could get it looked at cheaply and locally. Get his BP tested and perhaps blood sugar to check for diabetes or hypoglycemia. Stress is a major killer. If testing reduces your anxiety then by all means. Just be careful that the results don't add to your worries. And don't take the results as read. Misdiagnosis is still common in medicine.

I'm in favour of testing where it increases awareness, education and PREVENTION. I'm against if it leads to misdiagnosis, unnecessary expenditure and in some cases, actual bodily harm. It's not so long ago that breast cancer screening was actually causing breast cancer.

One of the biggest problems with Medical Science is reductionism. The science bamboozles us but the basics are always the same. Eat healthily, exercise more, allow time for proper relaxation.
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

MrPlum, (you asked for an occasional update on this)

As we discussed on another thread I am trying an experiment with my own health. When I came here I was taking several medications for three specific chronic conditions, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and asthma due to allergies. At the time I was taking six medications daily and all my readings were normal and I rarely had a breathing problem that required the emergency inhaler (maybe twice a year).

Here, without health insurance, I found the medications to be prohibitively expensive, so I started meddling with them myself. I was using three for asthma and they are each very expensive here. The pill was the most expensive of all my medications so it was the first to go. Two months later, no change and no more need for the emergency inhaler than before so that pill was gone for good. Great; money saved.

I was taking two blood pressure medications. I decided that I have a lot less stress now than when I was working so I stopped one altogether and cut the other one in half (literally cut the pills in half taking half the prescribed dosage per day and at half the cost). Guess what, my BP still stayed within the acceptable range (120s over 70s) with an occasional systolic reading in the 130s but I figure that is acceptable. Great; more money saved on the second most expensive medication I was taking.

Then I tried to stop the next most expensive meds, my two daily maintenance asthma and allergy inhalers. The asthma one is inhaled through the mouth and is supposed to keep attacks to a minimum and the other one is a nasal inhaler for allergies. After one month I was having real breathing problems, using the emergency inhaler almost daily and had itchy, watery, eyes and a runny nose with sinus drainage all the time from allergies. Back on those two meds but I cut the dosage in half and that seems to keep everything under control, so more money saved but can't live without those two meds.

I had my cholesterol monitored twice at the clinic at three month intervals and it was very low (120 range, anything under 200 was considered normal by my U.S. physician) so I cut that in half too. I have monitered it several times since and it has risen to about 180; still in the safe range so another half dosage and more money saved. Later I may try to eliminate it altogether, but I only want one variable at a time.

Now, as I told you, about a month ago, I stopped taking my blood pressure medicine altogether and started a regimen of (almost) daily aerobic and strength training exercises (minimum 36 minutes, maximum 2 hours) at least 5 days a week. My diet is not too bad as I eat mainly fish and chicken on the meat side with an occasional pork or beef dish and not too much junk food (the occasional cheese and cracker snack or small bowl of peanuts). I eat only whole wheat bread, brown rice, and drink lots of water. Admittedly, my overall caloric intake is still higher than it should be and I drink alcohol, but I've cut consumption of that in half and what I drink now is mostly wine (occasionally beer or harder drinks, but only in social situations when friends are having the same). I used to smoke but stopped 25 years ago. Anyway, in this month my systolic BP has risen an average of 30 points and I now get consistent readings in the mid 150s. I am going to try a month of the organic apple cider vinegar recommended on another thread to see if that helps (while continuing the exercise) before I give up but If the readings don't start to go back down in the next month it's back on that medication for me.

If the ACV works I will also (one variable at a time) try again to stop the cholesterol and asthma/allergy meds and see what happens as the web site huahinian pointed me to says ACV can cure (or treat) all of these things.

The bottom line is I have been able to eliminate two medications my U.S. doc said I needed, cut four others in half without a negative result and will continue to try to eliminate the rest if I can, but since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 18 years of age, I think that one may be heredity and require medication. We'll see... :cheers:

So Sandman, by all means have a checkup as I think everyone should do annually after about 35 years of age, but don't get too worried about the results until you do some research about them and really take control of your own health.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Thanks for the tips guys

Polyclinic it is as a starter and see what is on offer....chest X Rays are not on my list...just a simple engine check and some inoculation shots.

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

hh. Thanks for the update.

One of the beauties of 'nature cures' is that they can be applied without necessarily needing a specific diagnosis. There could be a number of inter-related reasons why you are experiencing your symptoms and addressing symptoms alone may not resolve your problems.

My belief about health is that when everything is working in balance, good health is the norm. When you go out of balance dis-ease results. The way, then, to resolve health problems, is to restore balance and not just relieve symptoms.

While you may think you have improved your diet, your diet may still not be suitable for you. For example. When we look at food, there are 6 tastes. Sweet, Sour, Salty, Astringent, Bitter and Pungent. If you only eat Sweet, Sour and Salty this is very unbalanced and results in the kinds of diseases we see in so many today. The way to restore balance is to introduce the missing tastes and reduce the others. Bitter herbs are very stimulating for the liver. The liver is the organ of detoxification. It serves numerous other vital functions. They also rid you of parasites. Pungent herbs will cleanse the system and increase your metabolism. Astringent foods will dry out that mucus and reduce 'kapha' (water + earth) in the body. Food can be intelligently applied as medicine. This chart makes sense to me but may not to you...

It's basically saying that sweet, sour & salty are all 'Kapha' forming (the UP arrows), leading to Kapha-type diseases, which you have. To reverse this you need the Kapha-reducing tastes (DOWN arrows). Kaphas should eat light stimulating foods. I'm the opposite to you. A classic Vata (skinny nervous air type). I need the sweet, salt and sour tastes. Warm nourishing foods.

When you see the Thais eat they will invariably have a raw bitter herb to munch on. They will have a fermented dish (live probiotics) and Thai dishes are famously healthy. Tom Yum a classic example. Good health can be achieved through diet although it can take many months or longer depending on the condition. The WAY you eat is also important. As is the TIME you eat.

According to Ayurveda, coughs, colds, flu and allergy are caused by an excess of 'kapha'. To resolve them you need to adopt a kapha-reducing regime. Allergies can also be due to a weakened immune system. Antibiotics may have eliminated your beneficial bowel flora. You may have 'leaky gut', which is said to cause allergies.

In my Ayurvedic books there are 5 Ayurvedic medicines which claim to cure asthma. If you would like to know what they are you can pm me.

Keep in mind that herbs are not magic bullets. They are one part of an overall approach to health and some practitioners think not the most important. It's all about supporting the body's own efforts.

Sticking to diet for a moment, you can eat the healthiest food but if your digestive 'fire' is weak you are not getting the nutrients from the food. If your circulation is sluggish you aren't getting the nutrients or herbs where they are needed. If your major organs are not working optimally you aren't cleansing or eliminating properly. If your bowel habits are poor you could be auto-intoxicating. If your system is laden with toxic by-products of poor digestion, heavy metals, chemicals, traces of pharmaceuticals, etc, these can overwhelm the channels of elimination. If you are eating mucus-forming foods you are undermining your efforts. If meat is putrefying in the bowel because you are constipated it's clearly unhealthy. If you are drinking ice water with your food, you are putting out your digestive 'furnace'. If you are comfort eating you need to seek out the emotional root.

Tissue-cleansing, water, oxygen, acidity, your emotional state, your mental attitude. These are all factors.

One of the reasons I like the detox approach is it eliminates many possible unhealthy activities. It addresses oxygen, water, tissue-cleansing, alkalyzing, exercise, your emotions, your spirit, in a short space of time and removes all the confusion about what to eat, how to prepare it and so on. It gives you the opportunity to adjust your lifestyle. You can do it at home and it's never too late.

------------------------------------
Note: This a personal opinion and not intended to treat or prescribe. Please research these claims for yourself and consult your own doctor.
Last edited by MrPlum on Sun May 03, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

MrPlum,

I believe a lot of what you say is or could be true. I am not a nay-sayer to your kind of medicine even though I often poke fun at you about it.

It may work wonders but I don't have the desire or patience to alter my entire lifestyle drastically to ensure better health or try to live longer.

Of course I believe that if I stopped drinking entirely, cut my caloric intake in half, and balanced it in the way you suggest, I would probably be healthier. The question is; would I be happier. That one probably won't ever be answered as I will make small adjustments in diet and lifestyle to see if there is a difference over time but I can't (or won't) reinvent myself at this point in my life.

By the way, I have no problem with constipation... regular as clockwork about an hour after I get up every morning (just after my cup of coffee, oops, I bet that's another thing I shouldn't drink!) Also, from your chart, the kapha or sweet should not be a problem for me (except for the processed foods I may eat or the alcohol which is turned to sugar). I never eat sweets, always pass on dessert, as I don't like the taste of anything sweet (other than my dear wife's lips :D ). That of course brings on another problem in that I don't like fruit which I know is healthy but mostly tastes sweet. My taste buds have always craved salty snacks instead of anything sweet. Since those are bad for my blood pressure I'm doing my best to keep them to a minimum.

I'll start on organic ACV tomorrow since that seems to be somewhat of a cure-all and you know me... if it's easy, I'll give it a try! I'll give you another report in a month or so to let you know how that's working (if the blood pressure hasn't blown a gasket somewhere in my brain).

I don't want to introduce too many variables at once so that I know what gives results so I probably will PM you at some point down the road about those natural asthma remedies and thank you very much for that offer of information, but I want to give this blood pressure thing with the ACV and exercise one more month.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

No problem hh. It's just one approach and not everyone can apply the whole protocol.

The ACV is easy to take. As we know it worked for huahinian. For others too. 3 weeks is a minimum IMO. Stock up though. With all the new vinegar fans out there, the shelves are being cleared! :thumb:
huahinsimon
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinsimon »

MrPlum wrote:No problem hh. It's just one approach and not everyone can apply the whole protocol.

The ACV is easy to take. As we know it worked for huahinian. For others too. 3 weeks is a minimum IMO. Stock up though. With all the new vinegar fans out there, the shelves are being cleared! :thumb:
HHF, i dont agree with Prof....er, Mr. Plum's politics, but ACV worked for me. after first drug therapy Dr ordered to kill e coli didnt work, he ordered a stronger 2nd drug therapy, intravenous drip every 8 hours for 7 days, each dose--3800baht from hospital--found for 1900 at a big pharmacy, with RPN from hospital to administer, 1000 a dose--came to a lot of money. I asked Mr Plum about it, after getting his take that Drs have a license to kill, and some dvds, I decided to give ACV a try-- about 350 a liter-figuring if i got a fever indicating increase in e coli bacteria, i could fall back on expensive drugs with "possible" side effects.

Dr did not approve when I told him I would try it, my nurses were appalled I would not follow Dr's "orders' It's been two months and no fever. I went to Dr, he did not want to hear about my ACV therapy, he took a 'pee' sample to check for e-coli. Some how it go lost and "no test done" that was a month ago --still no fever 4 8ozglasses of H2O with 2 tblspn ACV a day. WILL GO BACK in a few weeks and hope they dont lose pee sample this time. should i dare ask for a 'free' test since i paid for and not received last time? or would he put a contract on me for complaining?? oh he went to Tulane University

I've even started H2O2 therapy-but thats another story

I WONDER, Mr Plum,
Would making "prisoners" at Gitmo take ACV 4 times a day be TORTURE?????

still hiding behind ----HHS
The devil made me do it the first time.
The second time I did it on my own.

When I finally got to the land of milk and honey, the milkman shot me

Happy wife, Happy life!
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Quote from Mr.Plum - "If you are guzzling sodas, orange juice, eating ice cream, cakes, biscuits, white sugar or substitute sugars, then cut down or eliminate them."

Hi MrPlum - I read your comments with great interest - but could you please explain to me what the problem is with orange juice as I'm very partial to it.
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Huahinian »

barrys wrote:Quote from Mr.Plum - "If you are guzzling sodas, orange juice, eating ice cream, cakes, biscuits, white sugar or substitute sugars, then cut down or eliminate them."

Hi MrPlum - I read your comments with great interest - but could you please explain to me what the problem is with orange juice as I'm very partial to it.
Barry - I'm a novice in the natural medicine field and Mr. Plum will no doubt correct me if I am wrong but the following may help your understanding:

Oranges are supposed to be a great source of vitamin C, which is why orange juice is recommended to stave off cold and flu. The trouble is, oranges are both sweet and very acidic. They are considered a high glycemic food, spiking blood sugar, which is a stress to the immune system. They also increase acidity, weakening the body’s ability to fight off bacteria and viruses, and increase congestion and mucus production.

Better options for a vitamin C immune system boost:

* Apples are high in vitamin C and also contain plenty of fiber, making them a low-glycemic food.
* Lemons contain as much vitamin C as oranges, but they improve the body’s acid-alkali balance.

Read more: "Health Myths: Not Superfoods: Are Bananas, Oranges, Broccoli, Spinach and Soy Really Good for You? | Suite101.com" - http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/art ... EjSmjyQ2&A
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

huahinsimon wrote:I WONDER, Mr Plum,
Would making "prisoners" at Gitmo take ACV 4 times a day be TORTURE?????
I believe it would definitely loosen them up :wink:
barrys wrote:Quote from Mr.Plum - "If you are guzzling sodas, orange juice, eating ice cream, cakes, biscuits, white sugar or substitute sugars, then cut down or eliminate them."

It's said that fruit juices are absorbed too rapidly causing blood sugar spikes. This can be a problem for diabetics, or it's been suggested, can actually contribute to diabetes. When I drink fruit juices... and I'm a fan of juicing... I usually dilute 50% with water.

If you do a search you'll find others claim that despite the sugar burst, orange juice is still okay because of its flavonoids.

I have a good film of diabetes sufferers changing their diet, to cure the condition. One of the participants loves orange juice but he says as far as his blood sugar was concerned Orange Juice 'puts it up there'.

Should you drink it? That's entirely your decision but I believe our bodies have their own wisdom and give us signals when we are doing something wrong. Rather than listen to others, who usually don't know us at all and make judgments based on only a few minutes with us. Maybe we should just learn to trust our intuition.

huahinian makes a good point about the high acidity of orange juice. It's one reason why I don't drink it. That doesn't mean I would suggest everyone avoid it. I think that if you are trying to resolve a particular health condition, then a dietary approach can achieve results where other methods may not. In that case, avoiding certain foods should form part of your strategy. Does that mean orange juice? It depends what condition you are trying to resolve.

Whatever it is that you enjoy, if you are overdoing it, your body I'm sure, will let you know. :thumb: