Foot and Mouth Disease

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Foot and Mouth Disease

Post by Nereus »

Not sure how many of you this may affect: my Granddaughter attends a Pre-School in Bangkok and they have just sent her home saying that they have to close the School because of a reported case of Foot and Mouth Disease.

I was not aware that it existed in Thailand, and when I mentioned this I was told, "oh yes, every year it is a problem at this time because of the weather"!!!!

The same School reported an outbreak of Chicken Pox last week also, and when I questioned that this morning they told me that the Doctors were sure about the diagnoses.

edit: Looking into this a bit it now seems that I should have called it "Hand Foot And Mouth Disease". (HFMD) Not to be confused with the animal disease. :oops:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Everyone on this forum has foot in mouth disease from time to time. :P

Seriously now, my daughters international school in Rayong closed for 3 days early 2008 for the same reason. She had enrolled but not started yet. Never did find out who had it or how they discovered it but they also said it is common from time to time. I believe they sprayed the entire place in and out with some kind of disinfectant.

Concerning chickenpox, there's a vaccine for that now and if it wasn't in your granddaughters vaccine package when she was an infant, she should go and get it now. I think, but not sure, it is a two shot series a few months apart.

I'm in Bangkok now and don't have her vaccine booklet with me. If you need more details as to what the chickenpox vaccine is, how many shots, age given etc., let me know and I'll post when I get back home on Monday. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thanks Pete. I will get her Mother to check in the book.

I am still a bit suspicious about the diagnoses. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!