GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by StevePIraq »

Not according to this article
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39337909
Extract follows:
The Bank of England is not going to be panicked into increasing interest rates to try to control price rises just because of one month's figures. But that doesn't mean they aren't important.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Sterling has already appreciated against the dollar, and there is little doubt that BoE will have to increase rates. FX markets generally take a forward view, and this has started.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Good thing you know more than the Bank of England
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

StevePIraq wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm Good thing you know more than the Bank of England
Well perhaps he does!
Sterling has appreciated and rallies accross the board for all 3 days since his comment - UK retails sales impress and this year will see an increase in rates.
Are you an expert too?
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

3 days is not a real improvement, do it for a year and it may make a difference
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Your prediction was until 2020 - many will not be around then> There is no doubt IMO that the BoE will increase interest rates this year. Do you agree and if not what will they do with the inflation problem? You seem to be the expert - were you in FS or what?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

NOT my prediction, read previous posts. And maybe the BoE will increase rates during 2017. I only hope it gets a lot better but do not believe sterling will significantly improve against the Baht for many years to come.

And as far as any improvement is concerned consider this:
18 March GBP to Baht 43.19289
24 march GBP to Baht 43.1195

If one changed 10,000 GBP today you would have got 733.9 Baht less than a week ago. So you see the GBP is not appreciating against the Baht which is what this thread is about.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:35 pm NOT my prediction, read previous posts. And maybe the BoE will increase rates during 2017. I only hope it gets a lot better but do not believe sterling will significantly improve against the Baht for many years to come.

And as far as any improvement is concerned consider this:
18 March GBP to Baht 43.19289
24 march GBP to Baht 43.1195

If one changed 10,000 GBP today you would have got 733.9 Baht less than a week ago. So you see the GBP is not appreciating against the Baht which is what this thread is about.
That's the inter-bank rate. The rate for you and me is just over 42!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

No idea where you get that from, it most certainly is not what Kasikorn are giving right now.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

buksida

Post by buksida »

I would never use a bank website to get an accurate exchange rate, they always add their own spread to the real market rate which can be found on fx sites such as:

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/con ... GBP&To=THB

https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

Edit: A tip for for anyone wanting to convert; I used SuperRich recently in Bangkok, their rate was 0.3 off the actual, the banks were almost 1.2 baht difference, and the airport 2.5 baht over. Makes a difference for large sums.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HHTel wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:30 am Rate is 42.65 today

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/rate/Pa ... hange.aspx
Isn't it confusing, I looked at the following Kasikorn page which gives a different rate. https://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Rate

I normally follow XE.com and their rate is neither buy or sell rate, it is mid market but still close enough for doing general calculations and giving me a good enough feel for my overall standing.

Lets hope the rate does increase (substantially)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yeh. The link you posted has the pound at 41.77 but if you click 'more' you will see that that is the rate for banknotes. I look at the xe rate and you can usually take at least half a baht off that to get the bank rate.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

The rate you receive at the ATM and when the Thai bank converts your FX into your bank a/c is the TT Buying Rate - I use Kasikorn and it changes throughout the day, but is always at that rate which is reported on their screen.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

PET wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:10 pm The rate you receive at the ATM and when the Thai bank converts your FX into your bank a/c is the TT Buying Rate - I use Kasikorn and it changes throughout the day, but is always at that rate which is reported on their screen.
And as with most banks, they will charge up to a max of 500 baht on the transfer. Travelers cheques are even more expensive with a charge on each cheque. Telex transfers are still the cheapest way to go.