GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Finance gurus please!!

Why the dip?

Forecasts?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Maybe it has more to do with the strengthening of the dollar due to falling oil prices and signs that the US economy might survive all the credit woes.
There are signs that big investors are getting out of oil, gold and commodities and back into equities.
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

I read that if Thaksin was to leave Thailand it would indicate to world markets that the political situation in Thailand may be regarded as a little more stable. Dont know the validity of this report though
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I've read a few reports today and it seems its pretty much as Steve say's it above, plus, the slowdown in europe and the UK economies/outputs and rising inflation, seems to have boosted confidence across the pond.

Still, could be worse, inflations shooting up here to new records (since the new way of counting), but luckily, paying fixed rate, I avoided the big leccy/gas rises and the price of petrol is still falling!

But how will the pound be affected if it starts to do better against the euro - is that likely? And how will that affect you blessed folk in LOS?
Talk is cheap
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Thanks you lot for the explanations about why the pound has been so
crap this year.
What gets at me is how the pound has been at an average/lowish rate
against the baht throughout the year,yet my brother in law from
Sweden reckons he's been getting the best rate for Krona/baht in years!
I guess this all reflects how well Sweden is doing against the Euro,as
opposed to the Brit pound...or the Thai reconise how many Swedes are coming here and give them a good rate to encourage spending...??
Whats the forecast for the pound/baht...do we have a graph for this?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I don't have graph, but my annual budget is set until next May at an average of 57 to the pound. If I achieve more than that, well :cheers:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

usual suspect wrote: I guess this all reflects how well Sweden is doing against the Euro,as
opposed to the Brit pound...or the Thai reconise how many Swedes are coming
I need to check this when I get time. It does not stack up at the moment. The Pound gets 12 Krona right now. So that would equate to a little over 5 Baht per Krona.

The last time I looked at Krona was probably two years ago and there were 10 Krona to the Pound and the Pound bought 60 Baht. So that make 6 Baht per Krona.

I.e it should have gone down. Xchange rates cannot change just because the Thai wants to encourage Swedes.

I see many people take just two currencies and compare them over a period and make a conclusion. This is just not possible.

You need to either, create a basket of currencies and compare against that or, select one you use as a marker.

The UK pound has been quite stable recently but the dollar has been up and down like a yo yo. The Euro has strengthened at least against the Pound and the Dollar but both those currencies have dropped.

I personally feel the High Euro approaching parity with the Pound is a false. It is moving away now.

Also the US Dollar has seen false lows. Now that a new government is on the cards and oil prices are dropping back the world market may begin to accept the Dollar again.

I need to check history. The Swiss Franc is always a good barometer but recently the Norwegian Krona has been used as a yard stick. Certain Middle Eastern Oil currencies may be used for comparisons.

I have just taken a look and the SWE Krona has gone from 4.6 to 5.6 in the last year but has been dropping this month and at 5.3 now.

The Xchange against the Euro is negligible until the last few days.

ADDED LATER

My memory of the SWE Krona was wrong. It does all tie in now. Danish Krone is worth a bit more with the Norwegian Kroner a bit more again.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

richard wrote:Finance gurus please!!

Why the dip?

Forecasts?
The pound has sunk to 22-month lows against the dollar after the Bank of England's inflation report warned the UK could be heading for a recession.
The full article can be found here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7557019.stm

If I was living in Thailand relying on GBP to buy Thai Baht, I would be thinking of buying some US$s now to hedge against exchange rate fluctuations over the next couple of years.
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

Bloody hell - 63.5 now
miked
Professional
Professional

GBP vs THB

Post by miked »

Miked wrote august 2nd 2008

the baht/pound rate should be a worry to us all. next year when the u.k. starts cutting interest rates.????????? if lucky 60 baht per pound.??
miked

guess wrote august 3rd 2008

i don't know where on earth MikeD gets his informative predictions from

mr plum wrote august 29th 2008

I note the Baht has strengthened against the pound again today

Baht/pound 61.2 august 30th 2008

“guess” it must be obvious to all that my 60 baht prediction is coming true,
and a lot sooner than I predicted. hang on to your hats, it’s going a lot lower.
miked
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Mike, you'll get mouth sores if you blow that trumpet much more.

SJ
miked
Professional
Professional

GBP vs THB

Post by miked »

may be but i,m living here on money that i exchanged at 71 baht and can do so for another 5 years. i don't give a toss about the baht rate till 2013.
i saw this coming and was ready for it.
miked
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by JimmyGreaves »

miked wrote:may be but i,m living here on money that i exchanged at 71 baht and can do so for another 5 years. i don't give a toss about the baht rate till 2013.
i saw this coming and was ready for it.
miked
Not if the exchange rate goes to over 150 and prices here go through the roof. Your one in a trillion being able to see into the future. Do you do any personal consults?

Any chance of giving me this weeks lottery numbers?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Nah, I've already grabbed them! :D

Euro lottery up to 92m (gbp) next week!! :thumb:
Talk is cheap