Registering a Marriage with The British Embassy

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
lomuamart

Registering a Marriage with The British Embassy

Post by lomuamart »

My missus has been hounding me over the past few days reckoning that our Thai marriage certificate isn't worth the paper it's printed on back in the UK.
I've tried to explain that our marriage is just as valid in the UK as it is here but she's pushing me towards getting it registered with the Embassy in BKK.
Maybe some of you have done this before but having just looked at the Embassy's web site, it appears that they don't do this any more.
Am I right about this? And in the event that it can still be done, has anyone found it to be a useful exercise?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Registering a Marriage with The British Embassy

Post by HHTel »

You are correct in your first assumption. A marriage here is equally valid in the UK. There is no need to register it at the embassy, if indeed you are able. When I got married 'all those years ago', we then lived in the uk for 7 or 8 years. No problems whatsoever regarding marital status.
I was married in Singapore in my previous marriage and again no problems in the UK. We were divorced in the UK.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I got married in Cha Am back in 2010 and it was relatively easy to get the local Thai marriage certificate attested at the British Embassy in Bangkok, but of course in the intervening years they may have stopped providing this service. At the time I was working in the UAE and needed the attested certificate in order to get my wife a resident visa for the UAE - entry to the UK has never been a problem, but then the marriage certificate does have British Embassy stamps from Bangkok and Abu Dhabi.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

We got married in Thailand in 2000, had the marriage certificate translated into English and that was all we’ve ever needed in the UK.
The certificate was accepted as proof of marriage by all UK Government departments and we have never needed anything else.
Too many Thai women listen to their Thai girlfriends and
it’s sometimes very difficult to change their minds.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

In my case I got married in 1990 and had a notarized translation made as part of the process of getting her UK visa. Once in the UK I went to the registry office to check and was not only told that the marriage is fully recognized but that to ask about having a UK ceremony would cast suspicion on the original marriage. No problems since and my stepdaughter became a UK National at the same time as my wife, all using our Thai marriage certificate. One of the biggest hurdles I have faced and still encounter on a regular basis is getting my wife not to believe the absolute codswallop she hears from friends and family.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'd forgotten that bit. Yeh, you do need to have a certified translation of the marriage certificate for the UK.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for the replies.
A certified translation of the marriage certificate is a good idea.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

She wants it registered so if you divorce she can go after your UK assets
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

How do you know anything about our circumstances?
In fact as my younger brother is dying of cancer she's worried about what happens when I pop my clogs. Anything that makes it easier for her to deal with UK bureaucracy with regard to my pension and assets will help her.
And why not. She'll be entitled to a share of my private pension and as I have no children, I suppose that I'll leave most of the UK stuff to her and my nephews.
Divorce? Don't see it myself but who knows? Thanks for the wonderfully helpful comment.