Opening a Thai bank account

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Opening a Thai bank account

Post by HHTel »

I used to use Bangkok Bank in London. Unless it's changed, you couldn't open a personal account there and it could only be used as a gate to your Bangkok Bank in Thailand. I used to have a pension paid into London and it was automatically transferred to my bank in Thailand. I've not needed that facility for some years now so it may well have changed since then. It was just a commercial bank when I used them.
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

HHTel yeah mate your right, I've just got off the phone to them.... I can't open one here in the uk... But if your on a 30 day visa or extended, no work permit, you can open one with a passport and a letter from your embassy...
Its not to much messing about really, as the uk embassy is right near nana in Bkk...

so if you want to save money on the exchange rates, getting charged fees every time you take money out... Go open a Thai bank account, well worth it...
Last year I lost about £600 to £800 in charges, most of that was in the exchange rate... As the card I was using only let me put £ on at 39 baht to the £....

Other things to consider....
Dress smart
Take a friend who speaks Thai
Be polite
Have more than 10000baht to deposit
and hope the bank staff that is dealing with u (got some) that morning so he's in a good mood 5555
Try using big banks that are farang friendly..

I've put this post to help people like me, I read loads of posts, phoned banks, asked my Thai friends, visited the bank web sites and now I feel confident in opening one, than being turned away without the stuff needed....
cheers guys
Remember bar girls can't eat love! :twisted:
My nana use to say, Son if your got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all!!!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I must have a very likeable face because I have opened a number of bank accounts without any need for a work permit or any letter from my embassy. All I have ever needed was my passport and a minimum deposit of 500 baht, and if I remember correctly, an additional 500 baht if you want an ATM card. Obviously, when you fill out the application form, you need to write down your address, but I have never been asked to show any sort of proof regarding my address.

My most recent experience (last Year) was at Krungsi Bank at Market Village, and again, passport and 500 minimum deposit. BTW, I was wearing shorts, a t-shirt and flip-flops and there was no Thai person with me. :D

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've always had the same experience as you, Takiap. Never 'dressed up' and only needed my passport which of course shows my visa.
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

5555555 bloody hell.... think I'm gunna need all the help I can get then cos I've got a face a dog wouldn't lick.... Maybe it's the visas u guys are on.... Il be on a 60 day extended to 90...
Remember bar girls can't eat love! :twisted:
My nana use to say, Son if your got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all!!!
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

If you look at other posts and threads on here you will realise the rules changed last year! All the people saying it’s easy are talking in the past. I was even offered a bank account over dinner when I sat near the bank manager from kassikorn when he was celebrating his birthday. He sent over some cake and a card saying to pop in. BUT that was years ago!
You need a year long visa, that is the main change. Either retirement, work permit or other, not tourist visas.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

NOKYAI wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 pm If you look at other posts and threads on here you will realise the rules changed last year! All the people saying it’s easy are talking in the past. I was even offered a bank account over dinner when I sat near the bank manager from kassikorn when he was celebrating his birthday. He sent over some cake and a card saying to pop in. BUT that was years ago!
You need a year long visa, that is the main change. Either retirement, work permit or other, not tourist visas.
At least according to the information on their website, Bangkok Bank will still open an account for a foreigner with a tourist visa. Their listed requirements for visa holders are as follows:
Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

Passport

A Letter of Reference issued by: (One of the following)
Embassy or international organization
Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

In addition, other document that shows the name of the customer can be used as a supported document besides the documents mentioned above i.e. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium.
http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK ... count.aspx
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

NOKYAI wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 pm If you look at other posts and threads on here you will realise the rules changed last year! All the people saying it’s easy are talking in the past. I was even offered a bank account over dinner when I sat near the bank manager from kassikorn when he was celebrating his birthday. He sent over some cake and a card saying to pop in. BUT that was years ago!

Perhaps you are correct, but then I must assume the changes only came into force during the last week of November or during the month of December last year because I opened an account in November without any difficulty at all. With that having been said, my passport does show that I am here on a 1 year retirement extension.

If what you are saying is correct, then that will mean 1-year visas extensions are no longer available for newcomers unless your monthly income meets the requirements. Obviously, if you cannot open a Thai bank account, then you also can let 400K or 800K sit in a Thai bank account for 3 months in order to qualify for the extensions.

A friend of mine will be attempting to open an account shortly, so I'll post on here again when the time comes.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

1 year retirement seems to be fine :-)
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!