Opening a Thai bank account

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Opening a Thai bank account

Post by --AndY »

Hey guys,
I'm just after some up to date information on opening a Thai bank account.. I've done a lot of research, read posts and looked on the official web site of the banks that I'm trying to open a account with... But I'm still at a loss...
I've read that some banks don't let u open one if u don't have a work permit, but the same bank will, but at a different branch... Confusing to me 5555

I have a passport (ovbs)
I will be on a extended tourists visa
A Thai driving license
Letter of residence
And any other letter I need

Any information would be much appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to read my post..

Regards
Andy
Remember bar girls can't eat love! :twisted:
My nana use to say, Son if your got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all!!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Opening a Thai bank account

Post by StevePIraq »

Instead of asking why not go into the bank of your choice and ask
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

If you need to do business outside Thailand using a debit card, stay away from bangkok bank. They do not have a visa debit card.
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

Why I'm asking , is cos I want the land in Thailand go staright to a bank n deposit my money... I don't fancy walking around Thailand with large sums of money.... I've tried cash cards from my country, the exchange rate on them are shocking, plus ur getting charged to take the money out....
I read people are goin bank to bank n being refused, so I want to be ready with all the information they want...
My nana use to say, Son if your got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all!!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

RCer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 pm If you need to do business outside Thailand using a debit card, stay away from bangkok bank. They do not have a visa debit card.
I'm with BKK Bank and my debit card (visa) works fine in other countries.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

add to your list-- a thai speaking person that you trust to go with you to the bank. Rule of thumb--the average HH bar girl speaks better English than bank employees.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:32 am add to your list-- a thai speaking person that you trust to go with you to the bank. Rule of thumb--the average HH bar girl speaks better English than bank employees.
But does she understand what's being said to her in Thai or English?
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

Haha yeah I've got a friend, she said I can use her letter of adress, think I'm gunna go with the Bkk bank and see how it pans out...

Thanks for the information guys, cheers, il post back with n update n let u know how I go..
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 pm
RCer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 pm If you need to do business outside Thailand using a debit card, stay away from bangkok bank. They do not have a visa debit card.
Be very careful with it at the ATM. I the machine eats it, it will be replaced with Unionpay which does not work.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

There was some replies about this on a topic a few weeks ago which may be useful :

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32422&hilit=thai+ba ... t&start=30
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, it has been covered many times on here. It all depends on the town, the bank, and who serves you. Nothing like consistency eh, pick a card ... any card!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

--AndY wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 pm Why I'm asking , is cos I want the land in Thailand go staright to a bank n deposit my money... I don't fancy walking around Thailand with large sums of money.... I've tried cash cards from my country, the exchange rate on them are shocking, plus ur getting charged to take the money out....
I read people are goin bank to bank n being refused, so I want to be ready with all the information they want...
So you are spending more time on here than you would in a bank. They also define what you need on their web sites.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Like probably everyone else posting here, I opened a bank account years ago. At that time Kasikorn had a reputation for being the most farang friendly. I didn't have a visa, just my passport & visa exempt entry. Two banks said no, 1 gave me a form without instructions, and instructions for a different form, then denied they weren't a match. Kasikorn at Market Village was fast and painless.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

RCer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:53 am
HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 pm
Be very careful with it at the ATM. I the machine eats it, it will be replaced with Unionpay which does not work.
The last time I had to change my 'Visa' debit card, the bank tried to push their new ATM (Unionpay) card. When I insisted it was agreed that I could still have the Visa card but it takes a week to arrive. I went for the Visa option.

From their website, it appears you can still get the Visa option.
What features does the Be1st Smart Rabbit have?
Be1st Smart Rabbit can work in two ways:
Bangkok Bank services
• Use it as an ATM card to make transactions through Bangkok Bank’s nationwide ATM network and for other
transactions in the same way as you use other types of Be1st Smart cards.
• Use it as a debit card to make payments at merchants or on websites accepting VISA Chip cards.
• Transaction values and fees charged for ATMs and other bank services will be deducted from the account tied
to the Be1st Smart Rabbit card.
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:07 pm
--AndY wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 pm Why I'm asking , is cos I want the land in Thailand go staright to a bank n deposit my money... I don't fancy walking around Thailand with large sums of money.... I've tried cash cards from my country, the exchange rate on them are shocking, plus ur getting charged to take the money out....
So you are spending more time on here than you would in a bank. They also define what you need on their web sites.
All im doing is asking people for at bit of information mate!!!
I've not just come on here and randomly asking how to open a Thai bank account... I've bin on there web sites as I've already stated... But what is doesn't say on there, is that some branches won't even deal with you, or u have to dress smart... Things like that....
To me my friend, you sound a little bit bored, get a hobby or some thing, instead of postin useless information... Seems like that's the kinda person u are mate.... Good luck any way pal :)

Quick update guys.... I had my Thai language lessons yesterday and asked my teacher Kat, how I would go about opening one... And what luck, she said there is a Bkk bank in London, there is only 1 in the UK 555 what a touch :)
Here is the number +44 207929 4422 they all speak English, so any questions u have give them a quick call...

Cheers again guys for the information:)