Non immigrant O visa renewal

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Non immigrant O visa renewal

Post by migrant »

OK, the visa rule challenged migrant here.

My first NON IMM O, multiple entry visa, based on retirement, runs until Nov 25th which I want to renew. I left Thailand Feb 2017 and returned May 15th.

We are planning a trip to Australia Nov 3-17th (approx, but return before the 25th for sure). I also have a day report due Nov 7.

I sort of remember reading that the O visa can be extended easily for one year, but am not sure.

Can someone give me the best course of action?

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Re: Non immigrant O visa renewal

Post by HHCanuck »

Takes only 30 minutes to extend if you have the paperwork. Have a basic hand drawn map to your residence ready and the photos you are good to go. The lady who does the photo copies will tell you what you need assuming you are using HH office.

Don't worry about reporting leaving the country through immigration is the same thing if you go within the 90 day period.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Extension based on retirement is a little more involved than that. You need proof of income or 800,000 in the bank matured for 90 days. Income letters you'll get from your embassy. There's lots of info on this forum and I'm sure someone will direct you to the relevant thread.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

You need to do the renewal / extension before you go. It can be done up to 30 days before, or 45 days if you go to Hua Hin Immigration I believe. BUT, you need to have all the requirements in place when you go, they are posted on here in several places. Just done mine last week, took 20 minutes including waiting time!

DO NOT forget that you also need a re-entry permit at the same time. And something new, they did my 90 day report at the same time.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Yes I plan on getting the income letter in BKK from the embassy so will take to Hua Hin Imm. Thanks!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Last year, when I got my first O visa HH immigration refused me at first. I had brought my income letter from the embassy but the HH office said I needed to get it stamped by the Thai ministry. Went back to BKK, did it, and no problem. Other Americans said they never had to get that stamp.

Maybe because it was my first time? Any experience with that?

Thanks
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I believe the difference between American income letter and the British one is that the American one is done by sworn affidavit and the British Embassy needs proof of income before they issue the letter.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:35 pm I believe the difference between American income letter and the British one is that the American one is done by sworn affidavit and the British Embassy needs proof of income before they issue the letter.
You are correct.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

migrant wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:02 pm Last year, when I got my first O visa HH immigration refused me at first. I had brought my income letter from the embassy but the HH office said I needed to get it stamped by the Thai ministry. Went back to BKK, did it, and no problem. Other Americans said they never had to get that stamp.

Maybe because it was my first time? Any experience with that?

Thanks
I don't know whether or not different provinces have different rules or it's just upon the whim of the examining officer. I didn't need to go to the ministry. My first visa was issued in Bangkok and being that it was a marriage visa entailed piles of paperwork on my wife's part. The next year I moved to HH and switched to a retirement visa and it was much simpler and less paperwork. The regulations do change and theirs no way of knowing what they are until you go to the office. When I applied for my first visa I told the officer what I'd read inline and she said, "don't believe anything you read online, it's all bullshit."
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks!