Proof of income for retirement visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
frank1957

Proof of income for retirement visa

Post by frank1957 »

Hi, can anyone tell me if you provide proof of income when going for a retirement visa do the authorities try to tax you on your income
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: proof of income

Post by sateeb »

No they don't.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Proof of income for retirement visa

Post by RCer »

No tax, just verification.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Keep in mind the whole thing is a farce, as the embassy approves whatever you say your income is and the Thais accept whatever the embassy paper says, so when the amount gos up, as it will in the future, just change the amount on the document.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The above does not apply to the British Embassy where income has to be proven by supporting documents. The US Embassy on the other hand is just a sworn affidavit.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Also take what HD suggests as knowingly committing an illegal act if submitting a false notarized affidavit.

If so, thank you for making it harder for the rest of us, when the numbers of those caught add up and they change the policy. I wish yanks had to verify, and I'm a yank.

Also consider, this affidavit is a legal document, and available to the US IRS, so it should match your tax filings. Stating more than you earn, just might get you an audit. Trust me when I say, if they audit you, it's a hassle, and they won't do it for just one year. Can go 5 years back if filed, unlimited if haven't, along with the future audits. They will tax money you claim you made.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

laphanphon, I'm retired and I don't receive enough money to be taxed and I'm satisfied with an affidavit. I have no love for any government and am quite happy to not give them my money to spend killing people around the world. As long as I'm not a burden on the Thai govt. and pay my bills why would they care how much money I have?
Peroni
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Peroni »

Sorry if this is a little off subject, but does the fact that you own a house built on leased land, with lease payment made up front, go toward your income for a retirement visa?

John :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Peroni wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:27 pm Sorry if this is a little off subject, but does the fact that you own a house built on leased land, with lease payment made up front, go toward your income for a retirement visa? John :cheers:
Erm, no mate, I doubt that you will have any luck making that fly. The whole idea is show funds to live on.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Peroni
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Peroni »

But if you take the need to pay rent out of the equation, then the amount of ready cash for day to day living is greatly reduced. Another aspect of the need to have a specified amount in the appropriate bank account is that is must stay there, so how is it funds to live on?
Maybe I need more time in Thailand to fully understand local logic. :banghead:

RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Peroni wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:16 am Maybe I need more time in Thailand to fully understand local logic. :banghead:

Don't waste time or effort trying to find logic in government.

Its a government just like every other government on earth.

Logic is never considered, its about power and control.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Another aspect of the need to have a specified amount in the appropriate bank account is that is must stay there, so how is it funds to live on?
Simply because it is considered as the funds required to live on for the next year as you are given a 1 year extension.

Your can take all of it out of the Bank the same day as you get your extension. Just have next years funds in the Bank 90 days before your apply for an extension.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nereus is correct, the only way that owning a house will reduce your income need is if the immigration officer has an income need at the time you sit in front of them.

There is apparently another way that the funds (not your own) can magically appear in your bank account one day and be gone once the visa is approved.

But I know nothing about that naturally. I actually show monthly pension income.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

mathewperry wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:46 amThe embassy approves whatever you say your income is and the Thais accept whatever the embassy paper says, so when the amount gos up, as it will in the future, just change the amount on the document. :D
It's been said elsewhere on here, but the British Embassy require proof of pension.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:agree: