How to get small baht notes?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Eiahhh

How to get small baht notes?

Post by Eiahhh »

I'm getting tired of allways having to break down my 1000bhts i get from the atm! I find that many places wont take my 1000bht or gets annoyed when i pay with them. Tried to pay a tuktuk with the note the other day. He got straight up ANGRY :)
My question is this:
1 Is there an atm in HH thats gives out small notes?
2 Is there a place where you can exchange like 10 000 in all smaller notes?
PeteC

Re: How to get small baht notes?

Post by PeteC »

Try to ATM withdraw 300-400 several times and you'll get your small notes. Sometimes even 500 comes out as 5 x 100 instead of one 500 baht note. BUT....if you're using a foreign ATM card you'll get nailed for the foreign card fee each time I suspect, so beware.

If it's an established business and not a mom & pop place or a driver, shops usually don't complain as they expect it. Not in Hua Hin, but today I gave 1000 baht for 163 Baht of ice cream, and 1000 baht for 219 baht of mac & cheese :mrgreen: Filled up my "small change" coffers for the next week when I really need it for a variety of things around the house. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ :shock: That's a good point above. If you ATM withdraw lets say 200 baht on a foreign ATM card, do you get charged the standard fee whatever it is now (200-210 Baht?) for the transaction? If so you can drive yourself into bankruptcy it appears. :banghead: Pete :(
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Eiahhh

Post by Eiahhh »

Ok lets say you needed 20 000 baht in 100baht notes! How would you go about getting this done?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Buy something small or get a bit of phone credit at a 7/11 and pay with 1000 baht note - never had a problem with that before.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Eiahhh wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:58 pm Ok lets say you needed 20 000 baht in 100baht notes! How would you go about getting this done?
What, you going to a lap dance place? :mrgreen:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Eiahhh wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:58 pm Ok lets say you needed 20 000 baht in 100baht notes! How would you go about getting this done?
Difficult to understand why you would want so many 100 baht notes, but if you do then the most likely place would be a bank
Eiahhh

Post by Eiahhh »

prcscct wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:02 pm
What, you going to a lap dance place? :mrgreen:
I would if they had one :cheers:

Anyway it's not that I need 20 000 baht in 100baht notes.... I just want to!
guess maybe i'll try a bank....
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I draw my weekly money from the ATM outside the bank--then walk in and geta couple of thousand in 100s.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

a bank
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I always draw from an ATM at a 7/11 then buy a bottle of Lipo (12 baht) with a 1,000 baht note. Never a problem as they always have change. I think lots of people use 7/11 as a small change bank!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

There's a few things you can do to try and ensure you always have a decent selection of notes.

Firstly, when you need to draw, say 20,000bt, choose "enter amount" and enter 19,900 instead. That gets you 19 * 1000 bt notes, 1 * 500 and 4 * 100, which is a start.

Secondly, as others have said, whenever you buy something at 7/11, Family Mart or Tesco pay with a large note; they're used to people doing this and don't get annoyed by it, even if you're only buying a 5bt bottle of water. Of course, this does usually involve you having to wait around for about half a week while they go to the change tin as they never seem to have enough change in the actual till itself (this can also happen when you pay 10bt of a 5by purchase, to be fair...)

When paying for a meal, again, use higher denominations of notes.

If you still have trouble, then you'll probably want to walk in a bank and ask :)