Visa extension - marriage vs retirement ?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Visa extension - marriage vs retirement ?

Post by Happychappy »

Could anyone advise whether to apply for 1 year extension (married to Thai National) a British Marriage Certificate would suffice or would I require certification in Thailand ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Visa extension - marriage vs retirement ?

Post by laphanphon »

Get the retirement visa while in home country, so much easier. Need to be 50 years old, in case you don't know.

Then meet the financials, and extend in Thailand before it expires.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If funds permit, an extension based on retirement is a whole lot easier than based on marriage. For marriage, the extension can only be approved in Bangkok which can take a while, plus visits to your home to give validity to the application.
Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

laphanphon wrote:Get the retirement visa while in home country, so much easier. Need to be 50 years old, in case you don't know.

Then meet the financials, and extend in Thailand before it expires.
Thanks I will do that. I thought I had to apply for 90 day visa in U.K. then get 1 year extension (based on retirement or marriage) in Thailand ?

Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

HHTel wrote:If funds permit, an extension based on retirement is a whole lot easier than based on marriage. For marriage, the extension can only be approved in Bangkok which can take a while, plus visits to your home to give validity to the application.
Cheers

theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Hi,
I'll be looking at getting my first 1 year extension based on marriage via savings in a Thai bank account and uk monthly income ( I'm due to send for my embassy confirmation letter next month)

Why does the application have to go to Bangkok and how long before should I send the passport? ( current 90 day expires on June 28th)
Starting to get in A bit of a tiss as I don't want to have to go to Vientiane again.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

You apply for the marriage extension in HH but its processed in BKK. HH office will send all the paperwork up to BKK and give you a 30 day under consideration stamp. You go back after 30 days and hopefully get your annual extension.
You can start the process within the last 30 days of your 90 day permission (maybe 45 but I'm not sure if HH is allowing that extra time yet). There's a fair bit of paperwork needed for the marriage extension so I'd advise you to get the ball rolling earlier rther than later.
Be careful. You mention that you're applying on the basis of Thai savings and UK income. Marriage extensions don't allow this combination method (retirement extensions do). Financial requirements for marriage are 400K Thai savings or 40K monthy income, not combination of the two.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Thanks so much for clearing that up.
I'll be in the clear of it stays above 41 bahts to the £
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Hi,
I received my embassy letter today, unfortunately it says pensions on it rather than income (Marriage visa - under 50 yo) , is this likely to cause a problem at Hua Hin Immigration?!
Should this document be translated into Thai?
Also it says the monthly amounts in GBP rather than Baht so hopefully it will stay strong.
Thanks
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

That won't be a problem.
The UK Embassy changed the way they word the letters a few years ago - from "income of..." to specifying what type of income it is.. ie pension, rental, stocks and shares etc etc.
Imm will only be concerned that your income converts to the requisite amount of THB.
No need for translation and the letter correctly states the income in GBP. Imm do the conversion on the day you apply.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Thats great, Thanks Lomuamart.
The big day is 2nd June so will report back on how it goes and if they ask for anything unexpected! :)