Getting employed. What is needed?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
golferstu

Getting employed. What is needed?

Post by golferstu »

As the title suggests i am looking to get employed. I have lots of technical knowledge on IT & telecommunications and i am certain my services are needed somewhere in the precinct. But i am not all too familiar with the formalities of employment, and permits. That's were you come in.

What are we looking at here?

Say, for example, that i would want to join a Thai company as something simple as a salesman. Or that i would like to start a company and work on my own, offering a high demand service.

Obviously i would require a work permit, right? Anything else?

I am not looking for anyone to walk me through the process or anything like that. But if you have went through with this, please share your experience of it and what not.

Stu
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Getting employed. What is needed?

Post by margaretcarnes »

Hi Stu - not as easy as it sounds. Thailands' work permit laws are very strict - you wouldn't for example find employment with a Thai company as a salesman, because Thai nationals can do that job. Pretty much all jobs which Thais can do are barred to foreigners.
There is a list somewhere on the web listing the no go jobs and the possible exemptions.
Large Thai companies do recruit foreigners though who have specific skills and experience in areas which they need - these can sometimes include one off projects in engineering and design for example. But recent case where a European architect was used to design the latest, and highest, building in Bangkok caused doubts about the legality of the building itself.
Foreign chefs, musicians, golf pros etc are often employed by hotels, and of course native English speakers have for a long time filled some teaching posts, but the present regime apparently wants to reduce their numbers.
Many foreigners run businesses registered in a Thai partners name, which can have pitfalls. Some own businesses in their own right by setting up a company in their own name, and acquiring a work permit that way. To do that you need a large capital sum ( not sure how much now) and must employ a minimum number of Thai nationals. There are also restrictions with companies on what type of business you can run. I'm pretty sure that telecomms is a non starter. IT might be worth looking into and hopefully one or two forum members will be able to advise on that.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Good reply there MC. There are lots of resources for researching this, but most will likely be disheartening, sorry to say.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

To not mince words, Margaret is spot on really.

Basically, here in Thailand you have a choice of the following:
- Be a temporary tourist
- Open a business through a company you set up or via proxy in the name of a Thai (often a spouse)
- Work as an expat in a position for a foreign government or multinational corporation (covers everything from oil company to military to journalists to embassies etc.)
- Be an English teacher/lecturer
- Retire on a 1 year visa
- Work in a large hospitality services driven Thai company like big hotels/resorts etc. filling a niche position
- Be a missionary or be on some type of religious related endeavor

Other than those above then it's pretty much a no-no. As already mentioned, anything a Thai local can do is pretty much off limits and I'd agree that IT and telecommunications sales positions more than likely fits into that section.

It never used to be so strict but the Nazis are in charge now.....and they have pulled the drawbridge up in many ways.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Also be aware that even if you do get employed as an expat by a major company your salary will most likely not be as high as one would expect, this is not the Middle East.
I used to work for a major international consulting engineering company overseas and they had a position going in Bangkok for which they would sponsor me, the salary 75k per month taxable out of which I also had to provide my own car.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

and however good you are, however you out perform all the thais (not difficult) if cutbacks are needed you will be first out of the door.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Hey don't be put off, trawl the internet for jobs in Thailand, if something is posted then most likely the company has already made a call that they need an expat.

Check out Bangkok Post and look if none Thais are allowed.
http://job.bangkokpost.com/en/3541_posi ... ammer.html
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

"Non-Thais allowed: No"
Very few of the IT positions advertised in the BK Post are for foreigners.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

That was why I posted that specific link, however that applies to 99.99% of positions in Ting Tong Land. No one can do the job as good as a Thai.
golferstu

Post by golferstu »

You know, I overheard somebody say that thing about heavy priority on Thai nationals. I just did not realize it was by rule of law.

Guess i could do some overseas contracting for the time matter.

Its gonna take some time, for sure. But eventually i could see myself opening a businness.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I'm not sure how old you are, but I wouldn't waste early 'earning years' on Thai wage! Better to make as much as you can in overseas contracting, working flat out, then taking breaks in Thailand where you can holiday cheaply. Eg working in Japan for 3-6 months, then having a month off in Thailand and investing what you earn.
I looked around and talked to a lot of ex- pats before deciding on my working pattern! Work don't particularly like it but if you have the skills they need, things can usually be worked out.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

golferstu wrote:You know, I overheard somebody say that thing about heavy priority on Thai nationals. I just did not realize it was by rule of law.

Guess i could do some overseas contracting for the time matter.

Its gonna take some time, for sure. But eventually i could see myself opening a businness.

It's good to have an aim but just be aware that even with their own businesses and work permits expats are still subject to the restricted work regs, and need to provide evidence of previous experience in the type of business to satisfy work permit criteria. :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
golferstu

Post by golferstu »

I guess it was not as easy as i had come to expect.

Never mind the business.
Just getting things to roll over would be ever the harder.

If you are Thai, tha'ts a total another matter.
As for me, being in the point of life as it is right now. With nothing save my bare two hands... well it is going to be a tough start for sure.
Of course i am going to try, because i am one of those that very much enjoy a priviliged and work-related enviroment.

I could never settle anywhere without not doing anything.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

It's extremely difficult. I was searching for an it position here a few years ago. There were some positions available to foreign nationals advertised on a well known online jobs database, but the salaries were appalling and you'd be working in BKK 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. The chances of finding anything in Hua Hin are virtually nothing.

There are foreigners working in IT on decent salaries over here, but all the ones I've met had been working for a company in their home country and were placed here by said company, as opposed to people who specifically looked for work out here.
golferstu

Post by golferstu »

I can see why that is not a problem. Usually foreign contractors bring in the workers from overseas with due housing and production facilities. Many of them come from highly regarded establishments. There is not a single foreign worker that did not go through the usual channels while fronting some sort of desk as a maid or real estate agent. In Bangkok alone i talked to 3 or 4 people who was on a one-time lease from abroad.