The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

I don't know is the honest answer:

- Internal flights, never tried
- Checking into hotels. I've had friends have their licence refused, whereas they always (often reluctantly) accepted my ID card.
- Thai entry to National Parks - always refused to acknowledge my driving licence, but have never had my ID card refused.
- Hospital, never tried
- Posting letters, never tried

I guess as we're in Thailand, it depends which official you encounter on which day.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

It has worked for me for internal flights, hotels, post office, anything you would use a passport for (except international travel obviously).

It doesn't always work for things you are supposed to get the Thai price for, you may have to change your skin colour, language and culture for that.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Whenever I have needed an ID I have produced my 5year Driving License and it has been accepted. After 11 years I have still not bothered to get a Yellow Book and never had a need for it either.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I heard of an unusual requirement for a Yellow Book yesterday. A friend wants to play in the annual football tournament next month in Hua Hin. He can't enter without producing a Yellow Book.

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:37 am I heard of an unusual requirement for a Yellow Book yesterday. A friend wants to play in the annual football tournament next month in Hua Hin. He can't enter without producing a Yellow Book.
If he's got that correct it's total lunacy. Rules gone mad. Oh sorry, TIT. :thumb:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

No, that is really NOT the case.
You have to report the 90 days as everybody else.
Happy new year to you too.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What I’m about to write, came about following my visit to the Cha Am Driving License office yesterday. Knowing that to get my license with the wrong date of birth changed, I was told I needed a letter confirming I live at the house on my Yellow Book. Rather than go to Immigration at Tha Yang, I went to the local Tesiban office close to the Driving License office. Told the lady what I wanted and why, showed her my Yellow Book, Passport and Driving License and she noticed that my Yellow Book also contained the wrong year of birth, which was no doubt why my License was wrong - she told me that I would need to go to the main Tesiban office in Cha Am to get my Yellow Book corrected. The lady dealing with us was very polite and as helpful as she could be, so off we went to the main Tesiban office. We had to wait 10-15 minutes but once we were seen and explained the problem, the lady printed off a form for me to sign, changed my Yellow Book to show the correct date and also produced the letter that the lady at the Driving License centre asked for. How much for this service - not a single Baht. Being in a positive mood, I asked about the ID card for a Farang and she said no problem, sit over there and the man dealing with it will be over soon. 15 minutes later, two thumb prints, one photo, 100 Baht, and I walked out with my new ID card.

The biggest thing was that everybody I dealt with was polite, happy and helpful - the complete opposite to the woman at the Driving Centre. Off to see her again tomorrow - hoping there might be somebody else I can see. The icing on the cake was that the ID card had no obvious date of expiry, so after asking and obviously they didn’t want to say “until I die”, they said “until next life”
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Yes, if over 60 the ID card is for life. Same for Thais. Pity that doesn't apply to the driver's licence as well.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Another piece on how to obtain a Yellow Book. The biggest difference that I can see is the author had to endure a 2 part interview, several weeks apart.

https://writingbymatt.com/thailand-yell ... DI38t4DdUY

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah, there were a few differences to when I did mine and more docs.
One interesting note about the pink ID card is that when it is issued, the person it is given to is assigned a national ID number (13 digits). This number is then also replaced on your driver license, work permit, etc. where your passport number used to be, along with your (now) legal name in Thai language.
Didn't know this - but I actually prefer to have my passport number on the DL as it also saves carrying it around.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote:Yeah, there were a few differences to when I did mine and more docs.
One interesting note about the pink ID card is that when it is issued, the person it is given to is assigned a national ID number (13 digits). This number is then also replaced on your driver license, work permit, etc. where your passport number used to be, along with your (now) legal name in Thai language.
Didn't know this - but I actually prefer to have my passport number on the DL as it also saves carrying it around.
I believe that the ID number is also the same as your tax identification number, if you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FarangJon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by FarangJon »

My interview a couple weeks ago was me sitting for 30 minutes while they did a lot of typing, no questions asked. They told me to come back on the 30th to get my book. Let’s see if it’s that simple.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible for an agent in the vicinity of the British Embassy to receive a UK passport, get it certified at the embassy, translated/notarised etc as per requirements for yellow book process, without the passport owner having to visit personally?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, the agent I used for the translation/MFA work would have done the Embassy bit as well. Hopefully, I mentioned who the agent was above, because I doubt I'll be able to find it again.

Points 41; Position 18
FarangJon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by FarangJon »

PBbeacher wrote:Hi, does anyone know if it is possible for an agent in the vicinity of the British Embassy to receive a UK passport, get it certified at the embassy, translated/notarised etc as per requirements for yellow book process, without the passport owner having to visit personally?
I did it all by mail, the MFA has all the instructions online and turned it around in 2 days. But the US embassy did the certification by mail and I am not sure about the UK embassy.