The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: The Journey to a Yellow Book

Post by Big Boy »

I certainly won't disagree - that was exactly my thoughts before I started. It was news that certain parts of Prachuap Kiri Khan were issuing them without the mountain of paperwork and expense that prompted me to do it. Unfortunately, the easier methodology did not apply to Hua Hin residents. It did however highlight a serious anomaly with my son's Thailand status that could have come back with serious consequences, which we were able to rectify officially at an early stage.

Once I'd started down the road, and had already paid out some of the cash, it was tempting to withdraw, but I saw it through to the end to hopefully help others make an informed decision. Because of the anomaly, mine was more expensive than most.

Would I call it expensive? Not really.

Is it a waste of time? I've said it already, ask me in 12 months time, and I will give an honest answer. However, it was worth every Baht to correct my son's Thailand status.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: The Journey to a Yellow Book

Post by bsdk1960 »

PJG wrote:My wife was recently at our local Amphur Office in Bangkok. She had an appiontment with the big boss on another matter and asked him about a yellow book for me. His reply was that it was an expensive waste of time. "A lot of money for something that means nothing and is of no use"

Think I won't bother and save the cash.
The big boss in Bangkok is not neceserely a big boss in other places

:cheers: :cheers:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by joelle »

thanks BB but all I want is an ID card as I already have the yellow book, do I still need to follow all this procedure ??
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, just go to the Tessebahn with your Yellow book, and ask for an ID card. They'll probably want to see your passport, but it should be very easy.

Please let us know how you get on - it will be a valuable update to this thread.

Points 41; Position 18
Ianrodders
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ianrodders »

It's as simple as that I got my I'd card in an hour with my yellow book depends on how many people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

thanks BB and Ian will do that at Cha Am Tessabaan and let you know the outcome but it won't be until next month as I am going away and shall return mid march
but will post as soon as I have my id card for sure
have a nice day all and thank you for the replies
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

No doubt these are futile questions but:

1. Does anyone have any idea why the Tessebahn in Hua Hin needs everything certified by the person's embassy and the MFA when (if I understand correctly) other areas will accept certified copies from basically any accredited translation agency?

2. Would this be something that could be referred to the Ombudsman?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Others will accept from other agencies, but I guess the fact the MFA are geared up for the task, and certainly the British Embassy point you in that direction also, I'd think Hua Hin are doing it right, and maybe some other areas are not.

If Hua Hin are aren't doing it correctly, it must be a scam covering many provinces and internal/external agencies.

Points 41; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I already have a yellow book for my BKK condo but now, nearing retirement, will go for a yellow book for my home in HH. A huge thanks to BB for guiding the way.
There is of course no guarantee that the process remains the same or is viewd differently by a different officer as Buksida points out.

Inconsistently is a fact of life in Thailand and this is due to the "power" and interpretation of induviduals.

So far in my Thai dealings it does present some small challenges but thankfully nothing that has become insurmountable, so far!!!!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by hhinner »

Bristolian wrote:I already have a yellow book for my BKK condo but now, nearing retirement, will go for a yellow book for my home in HH. A huge thanks to BB for guiding the way.
There is of course no guarantee that the process remains the same or is viewd differently by a different officer as Buksida points out.

Inconsistently is a fact of life in Thailand and this is due to the "power" and interpretation of induviduals.

So far in my Thai dealings it does present some small challenges but thankfully nothing that has become insurmountable, so far!!!!
If you already have a yellow tabien baan then the process should be slightly different. You can only be registered in one tabien baan, so what you actually need is a change of registration and a new yellow book. You should probably go to the tessaban and ask what they need to let you change your address registration. It might be easier than you think. Of course, it might also be a lot more complicated. Cheers.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^ thanks, I had not considered that I am only permitted one yellow book. The process could be simpler with my original BKK yellow book in hand but.... on the other hand it could be a lot more complicated. I'll check out the process first.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote:I'd think Hua Hin are doing it right, and maybe some other areas are not.

If Hua Hin are aren't doing it correctly, it must be a scam covering many provinces and internal/external agencies.
How on earth can it be a "scam" if it costs peanuts in other areas to complete this process yet you have to shell out thousands in Hua Hin by going to embassies, MFA, Bangkok etc. Surely then the "scam" would be only in Hua Hin (as we have found to be the case with many other things of similar nature)?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

buksida wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I'd think Hua Hin are doing it right, and maybe some other areas are not.

How on earth can it be a "scam" if it costs peanuts in other areas to complete this process yet you have to shell out thousands in Hua Hin by going to embassies, MFA, Bangkok etc. Surely then the "scam" would be only in Hua Hin (as we have found to be the case with many other things of similar nature)?
Agree, Hua Hin bureaucracy gone mad!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

JimmyGreaves wrote:
buksida wrote:

Agree, Hua Hin bureaucracy gone mad!
I think you've misunderstood, the scam would be the opposite, and the agencies that are possibly getting rich from it must include the likes of MFA, British Embassy, Provinces involved and translation agencies. Think about it, why would the MFA have a section dedicated to it, why would the British Embassy point expats in that direction, etc., etc.? If the agencies such as Bang Saphan are doing it right, then everybody must be doing it the other way for a reason. If the reason isn't because it's the correct way, money is involved, so I can only imagine some large scale scam.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

BTW it was the British Embassy who rejected my translation done by a Hua Hin Translation service.

Points 41; Position 18