The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: The Journey to a Yellow Book

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I can't understand the difference. Normally in such an instance somebody stands to gain financially, but it was a process, and the only money handed over to the Tessebahn was 15 Baht for the covers for each item, and that was an optional purchase.

Having said that, at no stage was there any hint that we were doing anything out of the ordinary, and all parties seemed to think we were following the correct procedure.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

Was it worth all the trouble and money? Now you have a yellow book in your cupboard, but the only useful thing is to avoid a certificate for 500 Baht if you buy a new car.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I honestly don't know. I avoided obtaining a Yellow Book for exactly those reasons. It was the introduction of the ID Card, and the reported ease with which a Yellow Book could be obtained in other parts of Prachuab, Kiri Khan, which re-kindled my interest.

Probably ask me in 12 months time, and I will give you an informed, honest answer.

Points 41; Position 18
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

pitsch wrote:Was it worth all the trouble and money? Now you have a yellow book in your cupboard, but the only useful thing is to avoid a certificate for 500 Baht if you buy a new car.
:laugh:
:agree:
I think a yellow book is basically useless for a foreigner in Thailand.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think 'useless' is a very harsh terminology in this instance - it does have its uses. However, whether or not the time, cost and effort will eventually justify having one, has to be determined over a period of time.

I guess if my driving licences were due for renewal, and I was about to replace my car and motorcycle (none of which are true in my case), the justification would be apparent immediately. In my case, especially with the 'special' problems I encountered, the justification will be minimal.

However, the process did highlight some peculiarities with my son's status in Thailand, which have now be rectified officially/properly, so it was worth it for us. Albeit, the problems would not have raised their head for several more years yet.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

We have previously had the "knockers" showing the same attitude with regard to drivers licences. It would not come as any surprise to me that sometime in the future, we will all be required to have a yellow book if we want to retire here.

I still do not have one, but I would like to thank Big Boy for his reporting efforts. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
av8er

Post by av8er »

I got my yellow book last Friday-it took a LOT longer than BB but cost a lot less-I'm curious about the I.D. card BB. My wife said I couldn't get one because I'm not Thai. I thanked her for noticing, and then told her of your case. She went to the market and, well, I haven't seen her since. No I'm kidding but seriously how did you get the I.D.card?
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

av8er wrote:I got my yellow book last Friday-it took a LOT longer than BB but cost a lot less-I'm curious about the I.D. card BB. My wife said I couldn't get one because I'm not Thai. I thanked her for noticing, and then told her of your case. She went to the market and, well, I haven't seen her since. No I'm kidding but seriously how did you get the I.D.card?
So how did you reduce the costs of it? Which procedures did you do differently?
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

I should have said 'almost useless'.
:wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GroveHillWanderer wrote:
av8er wrote:I got my yellow book last Friday-it took a LOT longer than BB but cost a lot less-I'm curious about the I.D. card BB. My wife said I couldn't get one because I'm not Thai. I thanked her for noticing, and then told her of your case. She went to the market and, well, I haven't seen her since. No I'm kidding but seriously how did you get the I.D.card?
So how did you reduce the costs of it? Which procedures did you do differently?
2 questions to answer:

1. I simply asked, and was taken to another desk, where the took my fingerprints and photo - no additional cost.

2. Costs were excessive in my case because there had been an admin cock-up at the Thai Embassy in
London several years ago, so I had to do a little extra. The direct costs should be standard.

Points 41; Position 18
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Thanks BB

This will be very informative for a lot of people.

Crazy 88
av8er

Post by av8er »

I reduced my costs by letting my wife do all the work, keeping my stupid falang face out of there as much as possible, only speaking when spoken to, and paying up what she told me, when she told me. Total time-about 4 months, total cost-including fuel for 2 trips to BKK, hotel(s) in BKK, about 3,500-4,000b. I stay in cheap hotels.
buksida

Post by buksida »

You can also use the ID card to check into hotels without having to carry/show your passport.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

buksida wrote:You can also use the ID card to check into hotels without having to carry/show your passport.
Thai driver's licence works for that too...
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

My wife was recently at our local Amphur Office in Bangkok. She had an appiontment with the big boss on another matter and asked him about a yellow book for me. His reply was that it was an expensive waste of time. "A lot of money for something that means nothing and is of no use"

Think I won't bother and save the cash.