Opening a bank account which bank?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Opening a bank account which bank?

Post by 404cameljockey »

RCer wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:22 am Go to BKK bank in Bluport. But, beware debt card is not visa so it can't be used other than at an atm.
So it's not a debit card, only a cash card. Why do they do that! 8)
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 am
RCer wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:22 am Go to BKK bank in Bluport. But, beware debt card is not visa so it can't be used other than at an atm.
Its a debit card, but uses Union Pay which nobody accepts.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have a BKK bank card, my wife has a BKK bank card and my daughter has a BKK bank card. All of them are debit cards as well as ATM cards. They each have the Visa logo.

I've used mine in shops and online. Works a treat.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

HHTel wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:24 am I have a BKK bank card, my wife has a BKK bank card and my daughter has a BKK bank card. All of them are debit cards as well as ATM cards. They each have the Visa logo.

I've used mine in shops and online. Works a treat.
New cards do not have the Visa logo. It is Union Pay. They changed about 2 months ago and its useless.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Never heard of them. How clever is a move like that? We'll soon have to use peculiarly shaped stones with a hole in them to purchase things. We'll live in mud huts and pay our taxes with produce. How further back is Thailand going to go!!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The Chinese are here. Stores that want their custom may well want to accept Unionpay.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

RCer wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:16 am
404cameljockey wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 am
Its a debit card, but uses Union Pay which nobody accepts.
OMG. Thanks.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I have an acct. with CITIBANK, they recently issued a new card that is a MasterCard with ATM and debit use. You can use it in any ATM to withdraw money in Thailand with no charge. I haven't tried it to make a purchase, I prefer paying cash and no bills at the end of the month.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Thanks, we are going to try going with a friend who is a property agent and has a history of being able to ‘fix’ this for his customers....I’ll let you know how we get on.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Alan white
Novice
Novice

Post by Alan white »

Does anyone know how to add a a new phone nmber to siam commercial bank account without going into branch? Im currently back in the uk and cant transfer any money from my account to anyone as the phone number linked to the account is not in use anymore. I need to add a new phone number as siam bank has a one time password security policy.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Bangkok Bank were by far the most 'foreign friendly' of all the banks we have dealt with. We managed to get a credit card with them (we did have to deposit money, so it's not really a credit card), but it does enable us to rent a car in the UK. We both have work permits, which I think swung the deal so to speak.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Work permits or ‘retirement visa’ seem to be what they are looking for now.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

I went last week to the Kasikorn opposite the market, with a friend who is on a multi-tourist visa, and is looking to retire here and needs to deposit the funds and it was no problem.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

What is a multi tourist visa, what category?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:56 am What is a multi tourist visa, what category?
Not sure I think it gives up to 3 entries
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould