Opening a bank account which bank?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

I need to open a bank account in Hua Hin and was wondering which bank is the most farang friendly. I have a visa but no work permit, I have a Bangkok address but no Hua Hin address yet.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Re: Opening a bank account which bank?

Post by dundrillin »

I find Kasikorn Bank in Market Village user friendly with most of the staff having passable English language skills. Internet banking is also efficient. Convenient parking is a bonus.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

dundrillin wrote:I find Kasikorn Bank in Market Village user friendly with most of the staff having passable English language skills. Internet banking is also efficient. Convenient parking is a bonus.
,,,and the fact that the bank is open also on weekends and late in the evening. At this branch a tourist can open a bank account with no hassle at all. Kasikorn debit card has so far worked absolutely everywhere both when buying or drawing money at various and sundry ATM's.
Of all the banks I've used in Thailand, so far Kasikorn has been the best.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

Like everywhere, people have their own favourite. We have 3 a/cs with bangkok bank, Kbank and SCB. To be honest have had no probs with any of them.our DDMS are with BKK bank, SCB offers incentives and Kbank is a good reliable bank. Nothing much in them to be honest
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

One thing I like about Kasikorn is that for a small fee they will send you a text message instantly that cash is withdrawn from your account ( or deposited ) I don't know if other Thai banks offer this service but I wish my UK bank did.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

dundrillin wrote:One thing I like about Kasikorn is that for a small fee they will send you a text message instantly that cash is withdrawn from your account ( or deposited ) I don't know if other Thai banks offer this service but I wish my UK bank did.
DD, I used to get the SMS notification but no longer receive after I updated my new number (already updated with K-bank). Do you know how I activate the SMS service?
Thanks, GN.

Edit: just figured out how to set it up using my phone K-bank app. 199thb service charge/year.
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

Thanks very much everybody
jungle

Post by jungle »

i have a bank account with the Kasikorn bank in Hua Hin but i wanted to open an account for my wife with the Bangkok Bank while we were visiting Bangkok next month. when i contacted the bank they said i would need a valid passport and a recommendation letter from the embassy to confirm passport and our address in Hua Hin. Any one had to do this before. i never had to show anything from the British embassy when we opened the Kasikorn account.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

The Bangkok Bank branch north of Huahin, on Phetkasem Road, is very farang-friendly.
Should just need passport.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Avoid BAY not farang friendly.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

europtimiste wrote:Avoid BAY not farang friendly.
It's really down to the branch quite often and not the bank itself. I have zero experience of BAY branch(s) in HH but in BKK I had a mortgage with them for 10 years and they were very ok.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bristolian wrote: It's really down to the branch quite often and not the bank itself.
Totally agree. Too many people think things are set in stone here. Try other banks and even other towns if one branch causes problems, its probably because the teller didn't want the extra hassle of dealing with aliens.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

If you're going to put some of your money in a deposit account then look around they all offer different interest and sometimes there are special offers. I have a senior account by Kasikorn and get 4%.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

HarryVardon: What are requirements for this senior account ?
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

europtimiste wrote:HarryVardon: What are requirements for this senior account ?
I presume it is this :

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal ... posit.aspx

Edit : But I don't see 4% quoted anywhere.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.