Immigration asking for more info from foreigners

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Immigration asking for more info from foreigners

Post by HHTel »

centermid7 wrote:Some countries require a document on an annual basis that is stamped by the Thai authorities (more usually the police than the immigration guys) that affirms that the individual sitting before them is indeed alive.

I'm thinking that this is what pitsch is on about.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Every few years, the DWP in the UK will send a 'life certificate'. This is to prove that you're alive and entitled to receive your pension. There are a number of valid signatories and I think the police is one of them. Just done it a couple of months ago and I had my lawyer sign it.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

pitsch you understood what I was meaning, unfortunately smiles did't get it. Anyway, this is a standard document I receive every year from my country and must stamp by any authority to prove I am alive. Of course I have to be present, cannot do by mail. It's easier to pay 300 Baht to police than going to Bangkok at the embassy where it's free of charge.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

europtimiste wrote:pitsch you understood what I was meaning, unfortunately smiles did't get it. Anyway, this is a standard document I receive every year from my country and must stamp by any authority to prove I am alive. Of course I have to be present, cannot do by mail. It's easier to pay 300 Baht to police than going to Bangkok at the embassy where it's free of charge.
Thanks for the tip. I'm still working and didn't realize that this would be necessary on retirement. It does make perfect sense I had simply never considered it
As I'm still working, my monthly lunge at my salary cheque is the only proof of life my employer seeks :D Thanks
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Been here over 4 years now, and nobody has wanted any proof that I'm still breathing. However, the German up the road has to prove he's alive every year.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've been on UK state pension for 5 years and I've only been asked once recently for proof that I'm still alive. I'm sure, BB, that you will get one in due course.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sure I will :thumb:

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I got notices to sign and return annually from the U.S. Social Security Administration asking for proof I was still alive. I haven't received anything since I returned. Maybe there's a lot of fraud by spouses or other family members abroad when husbands who are drawing benefits die.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh there was. I was on a course at Civil Service College years ago, and most of the other course members were from the pensions fraud department. Their job was travelling the world, finding 'older' people who were supposedly still claiming pensions. They had a lot of stories to tell.

With Government cutbacks, I guess this is the modern way of checking, although it could be a nice little earner 'if' they were able to find a corrupt BIB.

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

this is the first year that I haven't received a notice from social security (a misnomer if there ever was one) asking to verify my address. maybe with halloween approaching there too busy. as long as the money gets deposited in my bank account every month I won't give it another thought.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Headed down to HH Immigration today for the annual retirement visa renewal. The process ran quite smoothly with no additional questions or paperwork required with very little time spent waiting.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
daddy

Post by daddy »

Bluesky wrote:The process ran quite smoothly with no additional questions or paperwork required with very little time spent waiting.
Yes I can confirm that. The additional questionnaire with personal questions is no longer required. The official there said this to me.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That is certainly the view of HH Immigration who have always stated that they will not be a party to this 'extra' information as it is not immigration law!
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

HHTel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:23 pm I've been on UK state pension for 5 years and I've only been asked once recently for proof that I'm still alive. I'm sure, BB, that you will get one in due course.
A friend of mine has just received notification that he has to provide a proof of life certificate to the British Pension Service. They want it sent back by snail mail.
Does anyone know if they will accept a scanned copy first, with the original sent by registered mail as well.
If this is possible, does anyone know their email address?
Thanks a lot for your help.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I received their Form by air mail on 25th July 2016 although their letter was dated 12th June 2016. I have a PO address and perhaps the gap was caused by my not visiting the box in a timely manner - I do not know. Anyway I had the Form duly witnessed on 27th July and sent it that day by registered airmail.

They said it had to be received back in 8 weeks so I presume no news is good news!

I hope this helps with your timing - I don't think they do email addresses!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Registered airmail (not EMS) worked for me. Took about 10 days to get there iirc.