Expat aquiring Thai Passport

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Expat aquiring Thai Passport

Post by Frank La Rue »

Is this a viable option for someone living in Thailand, to get arround the hazzle with visa. When I lived in the UK due to work I got contacted by our company's auditors who had helped me with the work permit and was adviced that I could aquire UK passport ater 4 years. So, why not in Thailand?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Expat aquiring Thai Passport

Post by Frank La Rue »

Frank La Rue wrote:Is this a viable option for someone living in Thailand, to get arround the hazzle with visa. When I lived in the UK due to work I got contacted by our company's auditors who had helped me with the work permit and was adviced that I could aquire UK passport after 4 years. So, why not in Thailand?
My hunch is I wouldn't do it but none the less an interesting topic to get peoples views and experiences on.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

because you are not Thai.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The OP is talking about taking Thai citizenship after a period of living in Thailand similar to the UK rules. It has nothing to do with him being non-Thai.
There are ways to gain Thai citizenship. Since the rules for marriage to a Thai have been made equal for both men and women expats, men can become Thai citizens the same as foreign ladies by being married to a Thai. There are rules of course. You have to have been living and working in Thailand for 5 continuous years. You first have to apply for 'permanent residency' before applying for citizenship. Those are the basic rules. There are others such as knowing the national anthem etc.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel is right that the rules for acquiring citizenship changed a few years ago. However, they are not the same for men and women - for example, women don't need to be working and paying tax if married to a Thai. The biggest change was that foreign men married to Thai women can now apply for citizenship without first having PR. That other unmentionable forum has an extensive thread about acquiring Thai citizenship.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for that. I was just going from memory and haven't looked at the latest amendments. I'm sure you're correct. I do remember that the rules for foreign men and women were made more equal.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

HHTel wrote:Thanks for that. I was just going from memory and haven't looked at the latest amendments. I'm sure you're correct. I do remember that the rules for foreign men and women were made more equal.

But are there any pros and cons - for a start does this mean that you have to give up the citicenship of your origin?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re:

Post by Pleng »

hhinner wrote:HHTel is right that the rules for acquiring citizenship changed a few years ago. However, they are not the same for men and women - for example, women don't need to be working and paying tax if married to a Thai.
So men need to be working here to be able to apply for citizenship?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Frank La Rue wrote:But are there any pros and cons - for a start does this mean that you have to give up the citicenship of your origin?
Officialy the answer is yes, you must surrender your original passport. However I know quite a few who have never surrendered their British passport and continue to get them renewed as normal

There are also quite a few high profile Thai politicians who hold multiple passports. I believe that Abhisit Vejjajiva holds dual British/Thai nationality
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Bristolian wrote:
There are also quite a few high profile Thai politicians who hold multiple passports. I believe that Abhisit Vejjajiva holds dual British/Thai nationality
Absolutely correct and I believe someone much much higher up has American citizenship.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

You are right HHTel, someone born in Boston has US citizenship.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bristolian wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote:But are there any pros and cons - for a start does this mean that you have to give up the citicenship of your origin?
Officialy the answer is yes, you must surrender your original passport. However I know quite a few who have never surrendered their British passport and continue to get them renewed as normal

I don't know why people keep bringing this up. It is written quite clearly on the official Thai website that dual nationality is permitted in Thailand. When my son applied for his Thai passport, one of the documents he had to produce was his UK passport.

From their Questions and Answers section:
Can I apply for a Thai e-Passport if I am already holding a foreign Passport?
-Yes, if you are a Thai national, you may apply for a Thai e-Passport. However, many countries will not recognize dual citizenship. Therefore, you may be required to give up other nationalities before you can apply for a Passport from that country.
No mention of Thailand making you give up the passport.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

HHTel wrote:The OP is talking about taking Thai citizenship after a period of living in Thailand similar to the UK rules. It has nothing to do with him being non-Thai.
There are ways to gain Thai citizenship. Since the rules for marriage to a Thai have been made equal for both men and women expats, men can become Thai citizens the same as foreign ladies by being married to a Thai. There are rules of course. You have to have been living and working in Thailand for 5 continuous years. You first have to apply for 'permanent residency' before applying for citizenship. Those are the basic rules. There are others such as knowing the national anthem etc.
do you still need to read, write and speak fluent thai?

i also heard you need to sing the entire Thai national anthem cappella in front of a group of people. is that true?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have no idea, James. I'll check for you.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Thailand gives less than 600 permanent residency per year spread across countries which have reciprocal agreement. The chances of getting permanent residence let alone Thai citizenship and are next to zero unless you invest US$ millions in Thailand. The only option is a one year retirement visa which can be revoked at any time.

Thailand does not want foreigners unless you are extremely wealthy.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali