UK visa for Thai wife/girlfriend

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
dom955
Novice
Novice

Re: UK visa for Thai wife/girlfriend

Post by dom955 »

Hi, I am after some advice. I plan on doing a visa application for my girlfriend to visit me in UK this summer I understand the in and outs of the process but there is one thing that is confusing me. We was going to ask for three months for the first visit but I'm aware you automatically get six months stamped, I was under the impression that if she did not return when she said she was this would frowned upon for future visas if she stayed six months. I spoke a visa agency and they suggested apply for one month but stay six months because that's OK?

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Thanks
buksida

Post by buksida »

Providing she returns within the time allocated on the visa (6 months) you'll be fine. Overstaying is frowned upon and will likely affect future applications.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Can anybody reccomend a good visa agency to help me with a first time application for my g/f to come visit me in the UK please

thanks in advance
buksida

Post by buksida »

These guys will do it, but its not cheap: http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33307

It is not that difficult to do it yourself, ask here if you need any info.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

ahandpatsy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:37 pm Can anybody reccomend a good visa agency to help me with a first time application for my g/f to come visit me in the UK please

thanks in advance
I agree with Buksi, best to do it yourself and seek advice here as needed.

But for what it's worth, you don't have to use an agency in Thailand and in many instances it's best not to. Too may tales of woe where applications are submitted that never had a chance of succeeding in the first place. All they can do is put your papers together and never, ever use one that guarantees a visa, they can do no such thing.

If you do want to use an agency, you'd be better off using an OISC regulated advisor from the UK. They can do everything that a Thai company can do and you have comeback if there are problems.

http://home.oisc.gov.uk/adviser_finder/finder.aspx
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

One thing you have to remember ahandpatsy is there is no guarantee that the agent will be any more successful than you would be doing it yourself. Basically, all the agent will do is tell you what you need, but you will have to do all of the footwork.

I have a friend who went through an agent, and it took over 5 years of toing and froing, plus many failed applications before he was successful.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

My Thai friend was advised by an agent/lawyer in HuaHin to apply for a one month visa for a visit to the U.K. She got a 6 month visa from the embassy, however when I was waiting and waiting to meet her at Heathrow I eventually received a phone call from a very irritated customs officer. He had noticed her return flight was in 4 months but the original application was for 1 month after a long drawn out discussion/arguement he agreed to let her in. His final words were to submit an honest application and not a one month one. She was very close to being denied entry I believe.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

OK I will have a go myself erm is there a website I can read on how to do it ?? Is there a Thai official website for guidance or is is a UK govt website
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

ahandpatsy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:16 pm OK I will have a go myself erm is there a website I can read on how to do it ?? Is there a Thai official website for guidance or is is a UK govt website
Here's your starting point.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa
Talk is cheap
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

thankyou very much
PEL2112UK
Novice
Novice

Post by PEL2112UK »

Hello Chaps, new member here. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I'm the hoping someone might be able to shine some light on the subject of getting a UK visa for my wife to live with me in UK. It seems that I must send (or take) my documents to Thailand so that she can present them at the VAC, no problem, and then she must send them to a PO Box in Sheffield. I tried phoning the (so called) help line but wasted 13 minutes at £1.37 p/m as the person did not know the answer and simply read from the Govt website. I can do that myself for free, but I swear I cannot find an answer.

My question, does anyone know if the documentation MUST be posted back to the UK from Thailand, or could I bring it back with me and post it in the UK? My wife tells me that the postal service in Thailand is not exactly gentle with packages, and as I contract through my own Ltd company, getting the paperwork up together is a marathon task running to several hundred, single sided pages of A4, nightmare! What I can say is she has a beautiful heart (a good Buddhist upbringing) and she is worth it.

Cheers, Phil.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

PEL2112UK :D
All the visas I've ever done (visa for the wife to enter the UK and 35+ visas for visiting family) I downloaded the forms from the UK Visa website, filled them in and either took them with me to Thailand or posted them to Thailand and they took them, together with supporting documentation, to the Visa place in BKK.
I also booked and paid for the visa applications and interviews for visa's from the UK, on the same site.

Not sure why she would be required to post them to Sheffield, maybe someone else can answer that part.
Personally, I think something has been lost in translation. :wink:

This is the site I used. Just register and you can fill in forms as you get the necessary information.
You can save partially completed applications and come back to them later.

https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome

https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration Use this link for Visa guidance notes, very helpfull.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
PEL2112UK
Novice
Novice

Post by PEL2112UK »

Thanks for the reply, it's just that the vfsglobal Bangkok website is as confusing as the Government website. We're applying for a 'family of a settled person’ visa. The vfsglobal Bangkok website - How To Apply" page gives these two options:

HOW TO APPLY
• Settlement application - All customers applying for UK settlement, including Priority Visa applicants, must send their supporting documentation directly to UKVI in Sheffield, UK by post. Prior to sending any documentation to UKVI, applicants should make sure that the courier company they are planning to use will deliver to Post Office (PO) Box addresses in the UK. click here to view details.

Points Based System Visa applicants (Tiers 1, 2, 4, 5): all documents submitted in in support of Points Based System applications (PBS Tiers 1, 2, 4 and 5 – including all dependents) are digitally scanned at UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Before you visit the Visa Application Centre please click here to view details.

We're not applying under the points based system as far as I know. If we are, I haven't found confirmation of it on the government website yet. It's a minefield.