Renewing a UK passport from Thailand

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: Renewing a UK passport from Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

The process is simple, but the service can work out cheaper when you take into account travel and accommodation costs.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

nellyp wrote:I don't understand why you want to use a service to do this. I renewed mine 2 years ago and the process was very simple
It saved me four days travelling and thousands of baht on two trips as I live 6 hours away from Bangkok.

Very efficient service: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33307
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

When i did mine I simply posted everything to Hong Kong, and sent a letter requesting a letter from the embassy explaining about the visa until I renewed it. I didn't travel anywhere. Why did you need to go to bangkok? I ask as I would like to renew my sons' passports soon

Cheers
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

I have just read the gov site and it appears the application process has now changed. I will have to weigh up the costs when I do my sons' passports as I have to apply for 2 at the same time. Hopefully, I will be able to do both applications the same day at the same time.
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

The Goiv site states this

Cost

You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £23.01.

The courier fee pays for your passport to be sent securely to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied for you to collect.
Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee)
Child passport £53.00 £76.01

I take it that the fee for the passport office is the full 76 quid, and the courier fee has to be paid. i ask as I am unsure whether the passport is created in Thailand or if they have to send to the Uk for it (as happened with HK)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It is sent to the UK, Liverpool I think. The turn round time is excellent.
buksida

Post by buksida »

They stopped using Hong Kong a number of years ago, all renewals now have to be done at the Trendy building in Bangkok.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have a question regarding the letter that Immigration ask for to prove that the passport is genuine. I'm currently working outside Thailand and am applying for a new passport. I will then travel to Thailand next month but I arrive just 2 days before my one-year visa extension expires - do you think it will be necessary to have a letter from the British Embassy saying the passport is genuine, but if it hasn't been ordered in Thailand, how will they know? Has anybody got a new passport from outside Thailand and done anything similar? I guess I could include a note with my passport application asking for a letter on official letterhead that confirms the passport is genuine.
:cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You shouldn't need it if issued outside of Thailand. The new passport will state where issued.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Question moved to appropriate thread....
Last edited by PeteC on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:You shouldn't need it if issued outside of Thailand. The new passport will state where issued.
Hopefully that will be the case and with a bit of luck I will get my UAE visa in my current passport transferred into my new passport before I travel so it will have something in it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Received my new UK passport via EMS yesterday afternoon sent to me by the agent I used in Pattaya. Went to HH Immy at 2.30pm today with the old and new passports and the Embassy letter, the place was empty and my number was called........relevant transfer of retirement visa extension and the rest all done and on my way home at 2.45pm. 500baht lighter but the service was spot on. Happy Bunny here :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:33 am
HHTel wrote:You shouldn't need it if issued outside of Thailand. The new passport will state where issued.
Hopefully that will be the case and with a bit of luck I will get my UAE visa in my current passport transferred into my new passport before I travel so it will have something in it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As an update, I arrived Bangkok yesterday with my new passport clipped together with my old passport and no problems getting through. Today I reported to Tha Yang Immigration office to get a visa extension as my old visa extension was due to expire tomorrow and was told no problem, but first they have to transfer my soon to expire visa into the new passport before doing the new visa extension. Other than adding about 10 minutes to the process, handing over 500 baht and countless stamps on various forms and in the passport, it was pretty plain sailing. While I was there I also did a one-year multiple re-entry, so good for another year. It probably took a full hour to get everything done, but would still give positive comments about the Tha Yang office.