SET Watch: The Thailand Stock Market thread

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: SET Watch: The Thailand Stock Market thread

Post by Dannie Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:
What was the amazing financial advice I received from both "Just hang in there and keep paying the premiums". I am sure there are good FA's around, I just have no need for them.
There's obviously a school they all go to, because my FA said the same!!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Instead of using a financial adviser Google John Barron portfolios, he sets out different portfolios for the various stages of ones life. The portfolios are composed of Investment Trusts. He explains what he is buying and selling and updates the site regularly. He also has a monthly column in the Investors Chronicle. To date he has comfortably out-performed the benchmarks .

I personally use investments trusts as the core holdings for my various portfolios .
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dannie Boy wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:
What was the amazing financial advice I received from both "Just hang in there and keep paying the premiums". I am sure there are good FA's around, I just have no need for them.
It's a easy way out for them. They feel all markets rise over time so, during down times, you continue to buy and eventually it will rise.

To find a good FA is difficult wading through all the fluff! I'm lucky as a CPA I see the actual results from my clients so have been able to use FA's that I actually know have a track record.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

migrant wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:
It's a easy way out for them. They feel all markets rise over time so, during down times, you continue to buy and eventually it will rise.
I believe that historically that was always true, take any 10 year period and you could be reasonably certain of doubling your money..............but over the past 7-8 years it's all gone tits up unless you've been very lucky or very astute.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Exactly the same with the property market, every 7+ years one used to expect to double the value, not anymore and in Thailand every 2+ years the property value goes down and down.

I would consider using a Financial Adviser if they committed to equal my investment in the same portfolio they are recommending with their own money and the same terms and conditions.

:lach: dream on
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Teflon Thailand does it again

Post by Bristolian »

Thailand seems to have retained it's Teflon title. How, during all of the issues that we have seen in 2014 has the SET managed to gain more than 15% in the last year. If this were any Euopean country the stock exchange would be in chaos

Thailand does it again....HOW???? Are there more to the figures that i am not seeing?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/fin ... -this-year

Despite declines in December, the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) closed 2014 with an accumulated gain of 198.96 points or 15.32% from the end of 2013.

The SET was the third best-performing market in Asian and the 19th in the world, according to data as of Dec 29.

The world's best-performing stock market this year was Argentina, up a whopping 56.62%, followed by China (50.01%) and Venezuela (48.30%).

At the other end of the scale, the Greek market posted the biggest loss of 29.49%, followed by Portugal (-25.52%) and Cyprus (-18.26%).

Among Asean nations, the Philippines led with a 22.76% gain, followed by Indonesia (22.91%), Thailand (15.36%), Singapore (6.32%), Vietnam (5.19%), and Malaysia (-4.98%).

Broker KGI Securities expects the Thai market to move sideways on the final trading day of 2014, with a positive outlook for 2015.

"Looking to 2015, we remain moderately positive to SET in the first quarter due mainly to our view that European QE will take place and drive a new round of EM inflows," it said in a report.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

That last sentence must have been written before the Greek election was confirmed. If things pan out as expected, the euro will be in turmoil.
Talk is cheap
dozer
Ace
Ace

Stock Exchange of Thailand top for third year

Post by dozer »

I had a very profitable 2014, long may it continue.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Capital- ... third-year

BANGKOK - Despite political unrest and other woes, the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) in 2014 recorded the highest average daily trading value among ASEAN bourses for a third consecutive year.

Trading rallied on the SET and its benchmark index shot up after the military staged a coup d'etat on May 22, bolstering hopes that the economy would revive. However, some analysts believe the market may have overheated.

"Despite the impact of the internal political situation in the first half of 2014, [the SET] posted [a] satisfactory performance in 2014," SET President Kesara Manchusree, who was appointed after the coup, said in a statement.

In 2014, average daily trading value was 45.47 billion baht ($1.38 billion), down 9% from the previous year. Although second place Singapore closed in at $1.3 billion, the SET managed to retain its top slot in ASEAN. The benchmark index gained 15% over the year.

The country had been in a political deadlock since late 2013 when anti-government protesters took to the streets in Bangkok. The economy shrank in the first quarter of 2014 sending the SET index to an 18-month low.

The coup brought investors, particularly domestic ones, back into the market, pushing the index up in September to the 1600 mark for the first time in 16 months.

Kasem Prunratanamala, head of research at CIMB Securities Thailand, described the second half of 2014 as a "honeymoon" between the market and the junta. "Everyone was anticipating a V-shaped economic recovery," he said. The honeymoon continued for more than six months, far longer than the three months Kasem initially projected.

As the year ended, slower domestic recovery than expected coupled with plunging oil prices and a sluggish global economy dampened investor confidence. The index fell to a six-month low in December.

The honeymoon's end makes fundamental economic recovery crucial to the SET's prospects in 2015. In late December, the Bank of Thailand revised its GDP forecasts to 0.8% for 2014 and 4% for 2015 from 1.5% and 4.8% respectively. The central bank cited slow government disbursements, sluggish exports and weakened domestic consumption as impediments.

Some local brokerages are projecting lower growth. CIMB forecasts 3.3% and Asia Plus Securities 3.5%.

Kasem of CIMB is cautious that disappointment could trigger more selling. "The government should speed up spending such as [on] infrastructure projects and paint a more realistic picture," he said.

The stock index started off the year with a two-day losing streak but recovered Wednesday, closing 1.57% up on Tuesday.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
buksida

Post by buksida »

tumblr_inline_njmg9uu4GV1sq14jh.jpg
tumblr_inline_njmg9uu4GV1sq14jh.jpg (19.18 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
We have posted articles regarding potential breakouts of 2 of the 4 Asian “Tiger Cubs” so far this year, the Philippines (January 16) and Indonesia (January 22). Each of those markets have since broken out to new all-time highs and, while they still must follow through to prove the breakouts are legit, they have significant potential for continued longer-term gains. Today, we present Thailand as the third possible breakout candidate among the Tiger Cubs, i.e., wanna-be Asian “Tiger Markets” (sorry, Malaysia, but you have a lot more work to do to pique our interests).

After basically quadrupling from 2008 to May 2013, Thailand’s main stock index, the Thailand SET, has been in a holding pattern, very similar to the Philippines and Indonesia. The index sold off roughly 25% into the end of 2013, then subsequently recovered most of those losses into September. Since then, the SET has bounced off that level on 3 occasions (including a December 15 scare that sent the index down over 9% on the day before closing 2.5% lower. Such a move should serve as a reminder of the risks of investing in emerging markets — especially emerging emerging markets.

Since that scare however, the Thailand SET recovered to test the highs it hit at the end of September and early December. It has essentially spent the past 3 weeks consolidating, or coiling, at the level. In the process over the past 20 months, the index has also carved out a possible bullish cup-and-handle formation. This occurs when a market sells off significantly before returning to its prior highs. Subsequently, the market pulls back and pauses briefly to consolidate its gains before eventually breaking out to new highs. While we never anticipate a breakout, this market looks poised to potentially do so.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Interesting that around the same time that articles about high personal debt and Thailands economy being slow
the SET is off and running
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The fatcats are getting fatter!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Or markets are looking forward (as always)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Will Thailand Be The Third Tiger Cub To Break Out?

Post by hhfarang »

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
old man
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Will Thailand Be The Third Tiger Cub To Break Out?

Post by old man »

As one who lives here I not think so
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Re: Will Thailand Be The Third Tiger Cub To Break Out?

Post by Gérard »

As one coming from declining Europe, who visited Thailand first 35 years ago and has been living here for the last 15 years, I am rather confident in the next future of Thailand. All the more so if you compare with the surrounding countries and their much slower development.