SET Watch: The Thailand Stock Market thread

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Re: SET Watch: The Thailand Stock Market thread

Post by dundrillin »

Is there an investment club in HH ? I am a member of one back in the uk ,we put in £25/month so not to serious. But we do have fun and learn from each other's experience . I would be very interested in joining one in HH when I move over in November.
sticks

Post by sticks »

There's not one in hua hin that I know of but there is in Bangkok once a month the guy who runs it is called john marks and is very knowledgeable his been in the business for 35years a multi millionaire, he set up this club to educate expats on where to invest and where not to because so many loose money with financial advisers that get paid commission on putting money in to funds witch is a bad investment and ties up your money like the LM investment management fund that as gone into liquidation witch was posted here a couple of months back you can google it to find out more it's called expatinvestmentclub.
I've been to two meetings so far and it's very knowledgeable feel free to pm me if you want to know any more about the club
Sticks
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Thanks for that I'll get back to you after the New Year. It sounds very interesting. In the meantime I'll have a look at the Aberdeen New Thai investment trust and see what they hold,it has a good long term record but has taken a bit of a hit at the moment plus the currency hit. However as the great man says buy when others are fearful!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

sticks wrote:There's not one in hua hin that I know of but there is in Bangkok once a month the guy who runs it is called john marks and is very knowledgeable his been in the business for 35years a multi millionaire, he set up this club to educate expats on where to invest and where not to because so many loose money with financial advisers that get paid commission on putting money in to funds witch is a bad investment and ties up your money like the LM investment management fund that as gone into liquidation witch was posted here a couple of months back you can google it to find out more it's called expatinvestmentclub.
I've been to two meetings so far and it's very knowledgeable feel free to pm me if you want to know any more about the club
Sticks
Hi Sticks,
I have posted a bit about this in the past and 110% agree with what you say about FA's. My own opinion is that if they were any good they would be throwing every cent of their money into the funds they suggest, but do they, no way. I have been with two in the past, unfortunately was not able to get out until the minimum time period elapsed and by then so much of my investment was consumed by fees and commission, total rip off.

Now I only do my own research and make my own decisions, not always perfect but have done reasonably well in the last few years. There have been a few glitches recently, China going down a fair whack and of course dick head Thailand slowly destroying it's own economy.

Always interested in learning more and keeping up with news
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
sticks

Post by sticks »

hi stevepIraq
have a look at expatinvestmentclub website. john marks is not running it as a FA business he sold his business 15 years ago and hates the way its become with FAs that's why he has set up this club he travels to 5 different countries in Asia every month to help and educate expats who have lost money the courses are free, what his telling us is don't put money into funds for long term and only invest in liquid so as you can take your money out the same day if you need to know any thing or find out if your investments are safe fill in the online application and he will call you back and for sure he will keep you up to date with the lateist news
sticks
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Hi Sticks - I found the expatinvestmentclub web site very interesting,thanks for that. I would be very interested in attending when I get over. I will be over in September for a few weeks to select stuff for the fitting out of the house,then I will move over in November. So hopefully we can meet up for a beer.i tried to pm but I'm a bit short on posts. Cheers
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Here's a good investment FA's never seem to mention.
Kentz, I used to work for them in South Africa, fantastic company and worth investing a bob or two.

08 January 2008 @ 99GB Pence exactly five years later 649GB Pence, fantastic growth a not a fly by night bubble company

http://www.kentz.com/investor-relations ... chart.aspx
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Yes agree with that,there was also some take-over speculation recently. i also like Weir,Petrofac and the Wood Group(although they hit a 12 month low today) Good chance of some M&A at some point hopefully.
buksida

Post by buksida »

This makes good reading, especially the last five pars ...

My two cents' worth for the imminent year of the horse
http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/fin ... -the-horse

Some good buying opportunities on the SET at the moment, even more when the tanks roll out and the crackle of small arms fire can be heard across the hazy skies of Bangkok!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

SET could sink to 1,150

The domestic political situation will be the main factor as the SET index drops to a range of 1,150-1,200 in the near term, with a rebound unlikely until the second half, says Asset Plus Securities.

Ratch Sodsatit, the newly appointed managing director, expects resistance at 1,450-1,500 once the market recovers.

With the uncertainty damaging market sentiment, stocks have become cheap: the market's price-to-earnings ratio of 11.5 is on a par with P/E in the Philippines and Indonesia.

During the Lehman Brothers crisis in 2008, however, the SET's P/E hovered around 9-10 _ far lower than in the current political crisis.

Full Story: Bangkok Post
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Martial law imposed ... the SET climbs ... go figure!

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/ ... ts-at-noon
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thai funds buying into equities
When the military coup spurred foreigners to pull money out of the Thai equity market late last month, the nation’s top-performing stock investors jumped at the chance to take the other side of the trade.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/ ... o-equities
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

StevePIraq wrote:Here's a good investment FA's never seem to mention.
Kentz, I used to work for them in South Africa, fantastic company and worth investing a bob or two.

08 January 2008 @ 99GB Pence exactly five years later 649GB Pence, fantastic growth a not a fly by night bubble company

http://www.kentz.com/investor-relations ... chart.aspx
Well what can I say, KENTZ have now been snapped up by SNC-Lavin at a bargain basement price of 934 GB Pence per share not a bad increase from 99GB Pence in Jan 2008. 834% increase in six years

Love Ya KENTZ :cheers: :cheers:
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Steve, any decent financial adviser would not recommend a single share because

a. They are not allowed to by FCA rules
b. They know that a single share is too risky an investment for the vast majority of people
c. They prefer a portfolio of funds to match level of clients risk

Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your next piece of financial wizardry.

I salute you Warren P Iraq "sage" of Hua Hin.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I wish I was an expert at this, just luck many times. I was with Kentz for some years, it was easy to see the management was amongst the best in the business, so each week, yes paid weekly those days I would buy a few shares, before I knew it I had GBP15k worth, then I moved to Oz, biggest mistake of my life, but I kept my shares and in the end they have done great.

As for FA's, I think I mentioned this somewhere else. I don't have any faith in them at all.

One major international FA from Switzerland would have now had me at a loss of 17% on my initial investment, I still look at the EIB (bundle of investments) he recommended absolute crap.

The second one through a major UK FA would have now had me at -42% on my initial investment.
Luckily I insisted both packages were changed to my own selections and both are well positive now.

What was the amazing financial advice I received from both "Just hang in there and keep paying the premiums". I am sure there are good FA's around, I just have no need for them.