'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by Big Boy »

As stated on the 'CHANGE 'O'' TO 'OA' VISA' thread, I was going to take a trip up to Immigration this morning to see what other 'How To' leaflets they had. I just thought thad I'd check their website first, and I think this link fits the bill: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/bas ... ge=service

Therefore, rather than make a special journey, I will leave you with the link, and will enquire about specific guides when I next visit for my annual extension next month.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmmm.... I'd forgotten this is Thailand - the links don't work :banghead: . Off to immigration later it is then.

Points 41; Position 18
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

The links worked OK for me!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Did the links list the documents required?

Points 41; Position 18
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Yes!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, thanks - I've tried 2 machines, and the links won't work on either. It's back to Plan A then - ask on my next routine visit. You've saved me an unecessary journey :D.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:OK, thanks - I've tried 2 machines, and the links won't work on either. It's back to Plan A then - ask on my next routine visit. You've saved me an unecessary journey :D.
I could open some of the links on an iPad but not all of them!! However I have just completed my one year extension so no problems.
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

Big Boy wrote:Did the links list the documents required?
Links seem fine but the list of documents required seems very limited.

Web site looks very basic!

I think our member's list was more detailed and informative.

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, we were going to Makro anyway this morning, so I called into Immigration regardless. They had them, but would only give out the guidance notes specific to the form that needed to be filled. Mrs BB explained what we wanted them for - no chance :?

I can only guess that it is somebody's specific job to hand them out, and they feel threatened by the Internet :banghead:

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I got to the list of extension reasons and clicked "For Retirement" and it went nowhere but to the top of the same page... no list of documents.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that's the same as I was getting :?

Points 41; Position 18
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

We probably all keep struggling as it is not in the interest of the immigration officials that everything is clearly and straightforwardly documented. Chaotic and complicated is better as this leaves more room for personal interpretation and bending of rules and offering "solutions".

A friend of mine who runs a business in Thailand for almost 20 years once complained to a superior official that his staff required a document that was not needed in all the years before and that was not on the list they gave him a week before. The officer replied: if my staff requires it, you need it.

Rules and interpretations differ per immigration office throughout the country and even from official to official within these offices. How can we expect there to be a website be it nationwide or local that says it all. Do not hold your breath.

They all got their jobs thanks to connections, family ties or they simply paid up. The uniform gives them power and the possibility to earn their investment back with profit. You are not going to jeopardize that by adequately informing the public through the internet and making everything clear. Makes no sense.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

This is what I wrote on another thread regarding the various requirements for a visa extension. As you will see it is for a married farang couple but apart from the marriage certificate part the requirements are the same.

You must have 800,000 Baht in a bank account for 3 months. It must be in an account that is only in one of your names - this is because you are going to be applying as a married couple and not individuals.
Now for what you need to take to immigration when you are applying for the visa. The following requirements are for each applicant and are not always asked for but may be required.
I have stated 2 copies of everything but when we last renewed we were only asked for one but…..
1. Visa application form (TM7) and 2 photo copies.
2. Original passport + 2 copies each of the Photo Page, the visa page, your departure card (make sure when you copy this that there is nothing on the page behind it), Thai Non Immigrant visa.
3. Original bank book + 2 copies of front page and 2 copies of the last 2 pages of entries (if applicable).
4. Letter from bank saying that 800,000 Baht is in account for at least 3 months. It is best to ask for this letter a few days before you intend to go to immigration as some banks have to get their head office to provide the letter. Also remember when you collect from the bank that the bank have stamped and signed it.
5. Original House documents or Blue or yellow book + 2 copies of all relevant pages.
6. Map of house location and address in Thai and English + 2 copies.
7. Marriage Certificate + 2 copies. You might also need a Letter of Affirmation notarised by your Embassy. This is a new rule and last I heard it is not yet being enforced but will be soon; it might be best to check before you apply so you have time to go to Bangkok.
8. Multi Entry Application form (TM8) and 2 photo copies. (you can apply for a single or multi entry visa on the same form).
9. Original Birth certificate + 2 photo copies.
The visa costs 1,900 Baht each.
The multiple entry visa costs 3,800 Baht each.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I went for my annual O-A (retirement) extension this morning and the immigration office and I set a personal best for time. I walked in the door at 10:30 and walked out the door good for another year at 10:50. I had a 10 minute wait time before my number came up, spent 5 minutes at the processing desk, and the another 5 minute wait while the boss approved everything. As stated on another thread I don't understand all the problems people seem to have at the immigration office. I just wish Thai restaurants and other businesses here were run as professionally and efficiently.

I am married to a Thai but I am here on a visa for reason of retirement as they are easier to process than a marriage visa (which I believe, has to be sent to Bangkok for approval). I always go to immigration alone (or at least the missus stays in the car or seated) and never reveals herself as being with me. Here is exactly all I needed along with my passport of course:

1. One 4x6 cm photo (blue background)
2. One TM7 fully filled out at home before I went
3. One copy of the ID page of my passport and every other page that has any visas or stamps with my signature written at the bottom of every copied page.
4. An (original, no copy) affidavit from the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok stating the amount of my monthly pension.
5. One copy of my house rental agreement with my signature at the bottom of the copied pages.
6. A hand drawn map showing where my rental house is located with my signature at the bottom of the page.
7. 1900 baht.

I would offer the following trivial pieces of advice to make your visit run smoothly. Things change, so do some research on this forum ahead of time and find out exactly what you need for your particular situation and have it all together and filled out properly before you go to immigration. I always pick up a few blank forms for the next visit so I can come prepared.

Since I've done this many times, I've also paid attention to not only what is required, but also in what order to make the experience more efficient. As soon as I am called I sawadi and wai the officer and present my documents, 1 through 6 in that exact order paper clipped at the corner, along with my passport. Over the years I've noticed the order they like to look at the papers and in which they place them at the end and that is it. Also I've noticed that if I staple anything together they immediately remove the staples hence a paper clip is a better option.

I then sit and smile while the officer looks through the paperwork, applies various stamps and hand writings and wait for him to ask me for my 1900 baht. I always have it in hand and give it to the officer who then instructs me to go back to the chairs at the front and wait while he/she turns the paperwork and money over to the head officer for approval.

Take a seat but keep an eye on your officer and when the approval is done he/she will wave you back over to the desk and give you back your passport with the approved extension a receipt, and any change you have coming. I'm sure this is not necessary, but as I have always appreciated the good service I receive there I usually pay with 2 1k baht notes and when the officer hands me back my passport, receipt, and 100 baht, I quietly give him/her back the 100 and smile and say "for your coffee". As I said, this is not required and never asked for nor a bribe of any sort; simply a small gesture on my part for the excellent service as I would tip any restaurant worker or taxi driver who gives me good service. They crap khun crap me and wai, which I return and am out the door.

I don't make an effort to dress up. I usually break my t-shirt rule and wear a collared shirt but I always go shirt tail out in cargo shorts and flip flops. I just make sure I present a neat and clean appearance.

Anyway, all that may sound silly, trivial, or tedious but it has always worked for me. :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

hhfarang wrote:As stated on another thread I don't understand all the problems people seem to have at the immigration office.
Likewise. I think if you look presentable and are polite and don't blow a gasket, you will sail through the process.

Ta very much for the post. A useful reminder.