Investment Rates

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Investment Rates

Post by StevePIraq »

What risks do I advocate? I have never suggested to anyone to invest in Gold etc, it was me who said it would go down and it has with a bang. Did you tell your clients to get out of gold before it dropped, that is if they had gold investments.

I have never said all FA are bad, every profession has good and bad, I have just never found a good one, numerous others here have said the same
If you are good at what you do and good for your clients then good for you and them, I admire that. Just because you have $xxxm invested through you does not mean all of your clients are happy, have you done a survey, checked how many are making more than the inflation rate per year. All the big investment houses boast they have xxxM or xxxB invested through them, doesn't mean it is good for the client. Just means they get huge profits from fees.

I only do what is good for me and my family, I work with my family to choose the right places to grow our assets. We have a syndicate with some friends and we all do checks and balances on each others ideas and often shoot each others ideas down.That is what everyone should do.
Just putting assets in the hands of someone and closing ones eyes is a very stupid thing to do.

No need to get personal just because someone does it different than you and they make a success of it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

ahandpatsy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm Because I want to prove you wrong. Its poor advice, its high risk, it might work but the downsides are horrendous.

Somebody just might listen to you and lose a lot of their pensions.

It was you that has come on here bragging about returns that are unsustainable over 5-10 years, a gold price (why so excited ???!)

It was you that slagged a whole profession of (now) highly qualified people.

So for positive, go read "modern portfolio theory" by harry markowitz.

I have 120 clients and over £14 million funds to look after.

I would never expose them to risk such as you advocate.

So good luck I hope you get rich, but I suspect otherwise. x
Mate that FA job is a good little earner 1% of £14 million funds minimum £140k good on ya :)
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

johnjar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:40 pm
ahandpatsy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm Because I want to prove you wrong. Its poor advice, its high risk, it might work but the downsides are horrendous.

It was you that has come on here bragging about returns that are unsustainable over 5-10 years, a gold price (why so excited ???!)

Mate that FA job is a good little earner 1% of £14 million funds minimum £140k good on ya :)
mate, its £20MM now due to good investment but thanks for caring enough to drag up 4 year old mails.

Maybe I can afford a romantic breakfast now
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

ahandpatsy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 pm
johnjar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:40 pm

mate, its £20MM now due to good investment but thanks for caring enough to drag up 4 year old mails.

Maybe I can afford a romantic breakfast now
Mate you sure can afford a romantic breakfast now, make sure you have a Guinness though, enjoyed your posts very interesting keep them coming :D
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

RULE 1.The greater the expected return the greater the risk.

I aim at 2% for inflation And 4-5% withdrawal. So i look for 6-7% net and that is achievable with a low risk bond/equities 50/50 split.
What do you think ahandpatsy.??
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:26 am RULE 1.The greater the expected return the greater the risk.

I aim at 2% for inflation And 4-5% withdrawal. So i look for 6-7% net and that is achievable with a low risk bond/equities 50/50 split.
What do you think ahandpatsy.??
I think your numbers are pretty much spot on Oakdale
buksida

Post by buksida »

ahandpatsy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:18 pm 10% every year is not easy and not guaranteed and not possible generally
It is if you invest in this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34854&start=102

:thumb:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

The Crypto currency is likely the next big one, but a bit too scary for me, good luck to those investors though.

Playing the stock market I tried 35 years ago and wasn’t a good stock picker, and especially fx trading you can lose your shirt [ I lost one of me shirts ] the professional traders love it when all the amateurs start selling on the dips, and buy on the rebounds, it really happens all the time it drives the markets.

A good certified FA setting you up with a balanced portfolio of quality dividend paying stocks, and income and growth mutual funds is the best way to go.This portfolio is still in the black and beats the inflation rate regardless of all the market crashes and bubbles in the last 35 years. It has been the best 1% I ever spent :)
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

johnjar, I did the same thing. I knew that I didn't know enough to be in the market and couldn't afford the learning curve. I found a wonderful FA and I've been retired and living off a modest investment for 13 yrs. and expect it to carry me through to the end with enough left to support my wife until her demise. Of course, if the entire market crashes most of us will go down the drain.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:56 pm johnjar, I did the same thing. I knew that I didn't know enough to be in the market and couldn't afford the learning curve. I found a wonderful FA and I've been retired and living off a modest investment for 13 yrs. and expect it to carry me through to the end with enough left to support my wife until her demise. Of course, if the entire market crashes most of us will go down the drain.
No going down the drain, the Dow Jones Index has increase by 857% value since it was founded 120 odd years ago [ this includes the WW1, WW2, wall street crash and all the other crashes including 2008 ] then look at the Dow Jones Index 30 year chart it has increased by 488% since 1990 the stock market just rebounds stronger..As long as you hold your investment you and your wife will continue to have good income and do just fine.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

ahand patsy-- you like my 50/50 b/e split. MY equity 48%-- 40 are S&P top 100 & Toronto SX top 25, with about 5% euro (that includes UK) and 4% Asian.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

johnjar wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:13 am The Crypto currency is likely the next big one, but a bit too scary for me, good luck to those investors though.

Playing the stock market I tried 35 years ago and wasn’t a good stock picker, and especially fx trading you can lose your shirt [ I lost one of me shirts ] the professional traders love it when all the amateurs start selling on the dips, and buy on the rebounds, it really happens all the time it drives the markets.

A good certified FA setting you up with a balanced portfolio of quality dividend paying stocks, and income and growth mutual funds is the best way to go.This portfolio is still in the black and beats the inflation rate regardless of all the market crashes and bubbles in the last 35 years. It has been the best 1% I ever spent :)
This is probably the best reason to use a financial adviser - namely they will keep you invested. Also they will/should rebalance your portfolio,preferably yearly. Another area they can be useful is tax planning. Having said that if you have the experience and self discipline it is pretty easy to look after your own affairs. My opinion of financial advisers was poor 30-40 years ago when they were basically salesman pushing you to invest in with profit endowment and pension policies which paid them huge commissions. I suspect there are some good ones nowadays however one member of this forum has had a truly horrendous experience with one, perhaps he will share it.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

As an accountant I have many clients who use a FA. It's amazing how many people do not look at their statements, etc, but rely just on the adviser.s verbal. Read your statements and ask questions. If you don't understand ask someone who does. Many clients were not getting the correct info from their adviser once fees and charges were added into the formula.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

dundrillin wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:14 pm
johnjar wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:13 am The Crypto currency is likely the next big one, but a bit too scary for me, good luck to those investors though.

This is probably the best reason to use a financial adviser - namely they will keep you invested. Also they will/should rebalance your portfolio,preferably yearly. Another area they can be useful is tax planning. Having said that if you have the experience and self discipline it is pretty easy to look after your own affairs. My opinion of financial advisers was poor 30-40 years ago when they were basically salesman pushing you to invest in with profit endowment and pension policies which paid them huge commissions. I suspect there are some good ones nowadays however one member of this forum has had a truly horrendous experience with one, perhaps he will share it.
Dundrillin you’re not wrong there. Initially they did try to sell me insurance policys and pension policies and the like, but I knew I wanted to be in the financial markets, but not smart enough to do it myself so let the fund managers worry about that and take their annual 1.5% clip off the top, also I didn’t understand them prospectuses they send , so didn’t read them.The balanced portfolio set up for me has never been re-balanced or sold I have just continually held them through all the upturns and downturns, meanwhile the dividends keep rolling in, which is the real money, and the portfolio is worth a lot more than when I bought in...The best is, it leaves a good income stream for my family when I fall of the perch :)
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:56 pm johnjar, I did the same thing. I knew that I didn't know enough to be in the market and couldn't afford the learning curve. I found a wonderful FA and I've been retired and living off a modest investment for 13 yrs. and expect it to carry me through to the end with enough left to support my wife until her demise. Of course, if the entire market crashes most of us will go down the drain.

Handdrummer, would you be kind enough to share with us the name of the two funds that gave you the most consistant and best return over the 13 years you mention? Thanks in advance.