Investment Rates

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Investment Rates

Post by StevePIraq »

ahandpatsy wrote:no figures to come back with then good job you can't trust advisers ????!!!!

point proven i think

10% every year is not easy and not guaranteed and not possible generally
Presently overseas so the last thing I have been thinking of was HH Forum

I don't trust Financial Advisers (do not know if you are one) as they are paid by the finance companies who's products they sell/suggest. I would seriously consider investing in something a FA proposed unless the FA showed me that he had substantial investment in that product, never found that to date. As I think I said previously if an FA was so good why would they be giving advice and relying on commission instead of just reaping the rewards themselves.

Investing is just another word for gambling, one can have just as much success with betting on horses as long as you do some research beforehand ( I do not bet on horses, maybe I should). There is no guarantee.

I do believe it is possible to get in excess of 10% return on investment/Gamble it just takes focus and research and when you want to change your investment don't rely on a FA to say when as they very rarely will; do continual research yourself and make the call yourself.

I have two investment wrappers, each with a number of investments
# 1 has returned 12.9811% per annum over 36 months
# 2 has returned 17.5327% per annum over 41 months. Both as of today.

Both earlier had investments suggested by FA's and at that time I was getting 2 or 3% total per annum until I dumped them and stopped using FA's.
I pay 0.75% fees per annum so this has minimal impact on returns.

One can always look at shares, it is no riskier really, you have no direct leverage over investments/stocks & shares or horse racing. Take for example I recent gamble I took, Australian stock market "MOT" 200% growth since 4 March 5k in turned to 15k out. Just wish I had out a lot more in.

One has to do something to keep the family fed and housed.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

i give up. financial advisers unless they are tied are not paid by the companies who's products they exclusively sell. that was way back in the past. i think the word independent as in independent financial adviser says it all

the thing about why don't they live on what they invest in !! if i wanted an income of £50K i would need capital of £500 k. know lots of people with £500k to play with. even if they were earning 10% a year which they will not.

I repeat over last 3 years 10% achievable. not over longer period. stock market is 8% higher than it was 13 years ago.

honestly its like me saying that are plumbers, dentists, whatever are thieves.

good luck to you ignorance is bliss
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

ahandpatsy wrote:i give up. financial advisers unless they are tied are not paid by the companies who's products they exclusively sell. that was way back in the past. i think the word independent as in independent financial adviser says it all

the thing about why don't they live on what they invest in !! if i wanted an income of £50K i would need capital of £500 k. know lots of people with £500k to play with. even if they were earning 10% a year which they will not.

I repeat over last 3 years 10% achievable. not over longer period. stock market is 8% higher than it was 13 years ago.

honestly its like me saying that are plumbers, dentists, whatever are thieves.

good luck to you ignorance is bliss
I think your first statement only applies to the UK, it is not worldwide. IFA's still get commission on products sold in many countries of the world. I have never found an "FA/IFA" of any worth. I did not say all FA/IFA are no good, just like plumbers, electricians etc there are good and not so good everywhere.

I thank you for your concern it is always appreciated. I shall continue in my ignorance to grow my net worth, which has consistently grown since I was 20 years old, with no input from FA/IFA.

Ignorance is Golden or so the saying goes, but I will not be investing in gold just yet it still has a lot further to drop before it is worth putting money into.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

..................................but I will not be investing in gold just yet it still has a lot further to drop before it is worth putting money into.
Now that is an interesting comment, Steve. I have been playing with the idea of putting some capital into gold, so would be interested in your comments.
With my usual luck the price is just waiting for me to buy 50k $ worth so that it can quickly drop! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Nereus wrote:
..................................but I will not be investing in gold just yet it still has a lot further to drop before it is worth putting money into.
Now that is an interesting comment, Steve. I have been playing with the idea of putting some capital into gold, so would be interested in your comments.
With my usual luck the price is just waiting for me to buy 50k $ worth so that it can quickly drop! :cheers:
I'm no expert I just took a punt (Read gambled) a few years back and did really well with both gold and silver.
Gold is now trading at the same price as 5 July 2011 so if you bought then you would in effect have lost money, same price today = lost, because of inflation and declining US$ exchange rates. US to Baht has declined 7.07% in the same period. So to even get your money back in Baht gold would need to have increased by 7.07% just to break even, not including your trading costs.

From 2004 to 2011 Gold went ballistic however before that it was flat for decades.

If there is no huge international conflict or crisis gold will "in my opinion" remain flat or continue to decline for a while, when is gets low enough then maybe the time to invest.

Silver gained 20% in 2010 which was great it's not so shiny now

For a long time all the "people in the know" where writing that everyone was turning to gold as a hedge as currencies were collapsing, well the currencies have partly collapsed but no economy is ever going to go back to the gold standard.

Check out BullionVault

http://silver.bullionvault.com/http://s ... vault.com/ charts for info.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I previously stated "If there is no huge international conflict or crisis gold will "in my opinion" remain flat or continue to decline for a while, when is gets low enough then maybe the time to invest."

And what has happened today, gold has taken it's biggest dive in years, am I right or am I right, how many Financial Advisors have been telling their clients to get out of gold while the rate was high, none I guess.
Good time to buy maybe but with care, Cyprus is going to sell some of it's gold reserve and Italy may be considering the same, China has increased internal gold output by 25% in the last 12 months so the rate may drop further.

Where are the Financial Advisers??????????????????
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

ok todays gold price 884.50 sterling you in steve ?
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Re: Financial Advisors
Here in Canuckistan there are two types. One is "tied" and will steer you to products onwhich they make a fat commission and/or their insutution is promoting. The products may be more in their interest than yours and the FA makes out even if they are crap.
Second, and recommended, type is Fee-for-Service. This FA charges a flat fee and is not "tied" nor has any vested interest in one product over another.
Fee-for-Service is the way to go.
Be wary of yields well over the norm.
Remember, pigs get fat. Then they get slaughtered.
Happiness can't buy money
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

ahandpatsy wrote:ok todays gold price 884.50 sterling you in steve ?
Many resources have recently had huge drops, while gold has gone down, silver has dropped more, copper and aluminum which has gone to a 3 year low, my choice right now if I was tempted is aluminum, I think gold will go down further.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

OK so aluminium price on London Metal Exchange 1803.50 USD per tonne today

Have you bought at this price then Steve ??
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I wish I knew the way things would go for sure.
My view is gold will go down to around 1300, even if it doesn't then it is still a good buy now compared to last week and way better than last year. So you can't really lose. India, the worlds biggest gold consumer has just imposed a 50% tax on all imported gold, that is going to hurt the gold price big. Wait a few days a least.

Aluminum will go further down, there is a huge glut with stocks, it is not just the spot price but the forecast to look at, however as with gold it is a good investment right now, it may go down further but that may only be short term. I will look at Aluminum again next week, now I have just gone into Platinum, look at www.kitco.com
http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/pt0060lns.gif

However both are volatile and subject to big swings so are risky unless you continually monitor the market. Potential for big growth if you watch the market and set yourself a target to sell at, can also lose big if you buy and just forget about it.

I still prefer longer term regular nice growth

maybe next week it's peanuts
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

bloody hell steve you come on here bigging yourself up and slagging off a profession of financial advisers. you potentially entice one of the other forum members to invest 50,000 usd in gold.

I give you 2 opportunities to put your cock on the block and you bail out saying you dont like the investment.

any more madcap schemes your not investing in ?
BingoBango
Banned
Banned

Post by BingoBango »

If your advice is really worth following why not just let your family and friends know your info instead of trying to prove your knowledge to strangers on a forum.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

ahandpatsy wrote:bloody hell steve you come on here bigging yourself up and slagging off a profession of financial advisers. you potentially entice one of the other forum members to invest 50,000 usd in gold.

I give you 2 opportunities to put your cock on the block and you bail out saying you dont like the investment.

any more madcap schemes your not investing in ?
mate I never said anyone should do anything, I merely stated what I was doing when asked.
You can do what you like, as can anyone else. I do however I wish everyone the best in securing their future using their own means and minds. Other than trying to disprove everything I have said I have not seen you make any positive contributions.

Enough said end of story.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Because I want to prove you wrong. Its poor advice, its high risk, it might work but the downsides are horrendous.

Somebody just might listen to you and lose a lot of their pensions.

It was you that has come on here bragging about returns that are unsustainable over 5-10 years, a gold price (why so excited ???!)

It was you that slagged a whole profession of (now) highly qualified people.

So for positive, go read "modern portfolio theory" by harry markowitz.

I have 120 clients and over £14 million funds to look after.

I would never expose them to risk such as you advocate.

So good luck I hope you get rich, but I suspect otherwise. x