Investment Rates

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Investment Rates

Post by aragon »

A friend claims that he recently viewed a thread on the forum, which included a posting from someone to the effect that they are getting a 10%PA return on an investment they currently have :shock: . Now given the current state of affairs across the globe, I find it very difficult to believe that anyone is (legally :tsk: ) getting a 10% return on an investment, but if there is someone out there who can prove me wrong (again :( ), then I would love to hear the details :) .

Unfortunately the friend can't remember which thread it was and I've been unable to find anything close.............anyone know anything about this??? :idea:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Investment Rates

Post by Pagey »

'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Mate honestly the guy who posted getting 10+ % and how easy it is, is talking complete garbage.

I am a professional financial adviser.

He quotes Berkshire Hathaway.

Share price 5 years ago today = 1357
Share price today = 1472

Total growth in 5 years 8%
Average growth 1.6% each year !!!

I love it when people talk to me about making money. Most people do not have a clue.

ahandpatsy
Marky_Mark

Post by Marky_Mark »

Lao kip term deposit..some are around 12%
http://www.bcel.com.la/en/InterestRate.aspx
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Pagey wrote:Was it this thread ?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21827&p=288335#p288335
Certainly looks like it, thanks Pagey.
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Marky_Mark wrote:Lao kip term deposit..some are around 12%
http://www.bcel.com.la/en/InterestRate.aspx
Interesting M_M but I don't think my appetite for risk stretches to Lao Kip :tsk:

StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Do some research before condemning people and posts, as I said it is not rocket science. I do not take exceptional risks and my returns are confirmed.

Do you guys really think banks can post Billion dollar returns and individuals cannot gain similar % returns.

get real
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

StevePIraq wrote: Do you guys really think banks can post Billion dollar returns and individuals cannot gain similar % returns.

get real
Yes.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

ahandpatsy wrote:Mate honestly the guy who posted getting 10+ % and how easy it is, is talking complete garbage.

I am a professional financial adviser.

He quotes Berkshire Hathaway.

Share price 5 years ago today = 1357
Share price today = 1472

Total growth in 5 years 8%
Average growth 1.6% each year !!!

I love it when people talk to me about making money. Most people do not have a clue.

ahandpatsy
Nothing against you but personally I have no faith in Financial Advisers, if a person is so good at providing the advice why are they doing it instead of just investing themselves and gaining the rewards.

I invest in business's that BH invest in and they have grown exceptionally over the years, the share price is not the only aspect you look at with any investment. Maybe it is the commission that drives planners and they take no responsibility if the investment looses

Have you looked at Brandeaux Student accommodation, over 31% growth in last three years, same with the Mansion group.
Fidelity EMEAA 16.9% in 7 months. and so on.
There are simple bank accounts in Oz that give 5% tax free and one company I know giving 9% PA.
I really do not need to explain more, it is not difficult and while an individual will not gain the same margin as the big banks they can substantially beat 10% growth per year.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Interesting debate. I know nothing about investing but I looked up the results of Berkshire Hathaway for the last 3 years. 3 years ago a share was worth 114 600 dollars and today is worth 146 495 dollars. That means 28% profit in 3 years - not bad but you need to have a lot of capital to buy 1 share! I'm sure it will continue to give great returns in the future. 2 of my friends have invested in Joe Lewis Trading (forex fund) and there are many others in Hua Hin who are invested in this fund. One of them put in 20 000 dollars 2 years ago and it is now worth 40 000 dollars. Anyone else know about this fund? Is it considered high risk? It has certainly given a great return to my friends. The minimum invest is now 40 000 dollars. Certainly ways of making good returns for some but you need to have plenty of cash and take some form of risk. Another of my friends has built rental apartments and he is very happy with his returns. His return per year is around 15%. Good, well maintained low cost rentals will always get good returns in Hua Hin with very little risk. Knowing very little about investing but my opinion is that you can definitely make 10% plus per year if you are smart. Very interesting topic this and nobody should tell anyone they are crazy to suggest you can make more than 10% per year!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think what you're talking about above is Berkshire Hathaway "A" shares at that price. I think they have a "B" fund as well which is a lot less. As someone mentioned above though, you can just look at what companies they're invested in and buy shares yourself. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Seen all these investments before

Tree replenishment schemes
Mining stocks
US government housing schemes
Rental Property in hotels
Canadian wheat fields
Rental property within Hotels
Film Schemes
Tech Stocks eg Blackberry (RIM) 2008 everybody loved them now nowhere

I have seen presentations by unregulated people flogging all this stuff to people to invest their pensions in them. Frankly it s criminal.

All promise great returns

Invest your hard earned pension in stuff like this good luck

Hathaway shares in last 3 years. You picked the low point of the worst depression for 100 years as a starting point so.....

Joe Lewiss Fund Is putting £20,000 in a single investment fund risky ??? Bloody hell yes.

Yes you can get 10% returns a year. You can get 30% if you pick the right year. But you can also lose 20%, or 100% with some of the above schemes.

If you have a wide ranging spread of investments (maybe yes buy the shares Hathaway buy as suggested) then that is better. The eggs in one basket adage still applies.

And lastly over the last 100 years the stock market on average goes up by 9% each year, before costs.

Ftse on jan 1st 2000 pretty much the same as it is now around 6000.

So 10% growth each year easy I don't think so.

And the reason that financial advisers aren't all sitting on boats sipping cocktails is that its not easy. Say you did get 10% a year. So you need what £500,000 starting capital. Why not a million !!!???

Anyway sorry about high horse. Look after your money you all have worked hard to get it.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Forex trading. I went to a presentation by a guy who is a well known trader. Written books etc etc

His actual quote was if you can beat 12% regularly, you will be a star trader and any Forex company would sign you up for over £100,000 per year.

Many people in the audience were really surprised as they thought 30% a year was the norm

Bye
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Fidelity EMEAA return over 5 years annualized 7.2% before costs. In 6 months in 2008 went from 1200 to 600. How good would you have felt then Would you have sold or hung on with half your pension gone.

The Brandeaux Student fund has gone up 7.96 since launch Before costs.

The Mansion house looks good but is still young.

Nothing I have seen gives you an easy 10%.

5% in Australia without tax. Nope not 10% is it though.

I dont get it where are you realising these great returns or are you just picking timescales and growths to suit arguments. ?
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

no figures to come back with then good job you can't trust advisers ????!!!!

point proven i think

10% every year is not easy and not guaranteed and not possible generally