Thailand inheritance questions

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Thailand inheritance questions

Post by HarryVardon »

Does anybody know the Thai Inheritance laws. I have heard that when I die everything I have will automatically go to my Thai wife and I will not be able to leave anything to my children and grandchildren in Europe. I do not own any property in Thailand only furniture, etc. I have money in a European Bank and in a Thai bank. I also have a will in Europe which currently leaves everything to my children in Europe (I am thinking of changing this). Does anyone KNOW the real situation in Thailand?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Inheritance Questions

Post by handdrummer »

what ever is in your will is what will be carried out. if you make a will in Thailand have it in English and Thai and make sure all parties have a copy and it's notarized. if you don't do that all your property, including your money in Thailand, will go to your wife. everything outside of the country will go to whomever has legal claim to it. if no one does then the govt. takes it.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Is my European will binding in Thailand?
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

HarryVardon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:49 am Is my European will binding in Thailand?
The attached link may provide some generic information with respect to Wills in Thailand. I would suggest you contact a qualified lawyer to ensure your will is ultimately executed as per your wishes particularly where there are risks of multi jurisdictional complications. The are a number of qualified ex pat lawyers working as practise managers/consultants around Hua Hin who would be able to advise you. Some offer free consultations within a given time frame. Be aware of costs to achieve what you wish.

http://www.siam-legal.com/legal_service ... d-will.php
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

You need to have a Will in each country you have assets. I have in the last year gone through the entire process. In most if not all European countries UK included, your estate goes into probate until the probate office reviews and approves all claims and liabilities for Tax.
The Thai courts will not enforce any claim against overseas assets, they have no mandate to do this. It would be your dependents responsibility to retain a lawyer in the UK or other country in question at great cost and go through the courts to gain your overseas assets.
I have 2 Wills, 1 for Thailand and my assets in Thailand and one for Australia both with different beneficiaries.
The Lawyer at Makro parking area is very good and will give you all you need to know in a free 30 minute consultation.
By the way for an overseas Will you will need to give a residential address in that country or probate will hold up the disbursement for ages.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali