Embarrassing Farangs

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Embarrassing Farangs

Post by laphanphon »

F'g sad lot of people that come here. Probably complains about the locals........and the least of our worries. Idiot foreigners vs Thais........take the Thais any day....some real scum here and more arriving every day.

Anyone know this one........12 years.......watch your back, house, and valuables.

Australian arrested for luggage theft at Suvarnabhumi

CCTV footage shows a man identified as Australian John Robertson with a trolley loaded with bags belonging to a Thai traveller at Suvarnabhumi airport on Saturday. (Suvarnabhumi Airport police photo)

An Australian national has been caught red-handed for allegedly stealing a Thai passenger's luggage at Suvarnabhumi airport, prompting police and airport authorities to remind travellers to keep a close eye on their belongings.

Suvarnabhumi Airport police and airport security officers arrested :cheers:

....John Robertson on Saturday as the 54-year-old .....

Australian stood at a bank's foreign exchange bank counter in the departure hall - along with a luggage trolley belonging to a Thai passenger.

A check of the man's travel record revealed that he had frequently entered and left Thailand over the past 12 years. He stayed in Bangkok and Hua Hin district in Prachuap Khiri Khan while in the country, according to the police.

Paraphrased from:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... varnabhumi
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Embarrassing Farangs

Post by 404cameljockey »

A bad story made worse by your horrible use of fonts. :D
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

[Mod Edit] A serious allegation. Comment removed until substantiated.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

europtimiste wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:06 pm [Mod Edit] A serious allegation. Comment removed until substantiated.
Look at the picture, am I right or not ???
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Thing is, Thailand attracts a lot of douchebags due to the lax law enforcement, corruption, nightlife, easily available beautiful woman, cheap beer etc. etc. etc. and most believe that they can "pull their shit" here and get away with it whereas they would be called-out on it if they did it where they come from.

There are also lots of decent foreigners here too but they tend to be harder to meet as they are spread out in more less traveled places and they also know there are issues with many foreigners you just bump into in bars/clubs so are harder just to meet...especially in tourist hot-spots and quite frankly they don't want to be lumped in with the embarrassing ones.

Sadly, Thailand can be an environment where scumbags/criminals can easily thrive and hence attracts many of this ilk. However, it's kind of paradoxical too, as it (Thailand) also provides a cool place to be for those who aren't like that and are seeking a different lifestyle, more personal freedom or simply want something different so can start a life somewhere where they can just get on with their lives (guess the foreigners here we are refering to are from western countries). There are runners, blaggers and seekers imo...first two should be sent packing, last one welcomed.

This type that is highlighted in the above story however, if correct, I couldn't care for and should be instantly ejected. Same with all the obviously suspect Africans hanging in certain places (be it Sukhumvit selling drugs or African hookers in Pattaya), they hardly create a good image for themselves either or their compatriots that are OK. Place seems to be a magnet for a lot of trash from everywhere...not just white folks.

The problem is endemic here...but they (the Thais) let them in, so what can you say. Guess revenue and TAT figures are more important. I'll leave it there.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Embarrassing Farangsj

Post by RCer »

No worse than the farangs that set up a business here, then prey on farangs.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Lax and incompetent Law Enforcement allows all of this to happen. Thailand reaps what it sews.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Come on kids, let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. Sure, you shouldn't be stealing luggage, but let's face it, worse crimes happen, both here and abroad. Thais have also been known to commit crimes in other countries. Elephant tusks, Rhino horns, and royal jewels come to mind. No country can guarantee that its citizens won't commit crimes in host countries, and no country can successfully prevent visitors from committing crimes.

I don't think we can lash out at Thailand for letting trash into the country because our own countries also allow trash in.

Okay, the guy nicked some luggage; he got caught, so bang him up for a few months or a couple of years and then send him packing. Life goes on.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Well said, Takiab.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

[quote=Takiap post_id=449663 time=1507074781 user_id=1552

Okay, the guy nicked some luggage; he got caught, so bang him up for a few months or a couple of years and then send him packing. Life goes on.

[/quote]

And not seeing him here anymore will be a delight.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

You must have to be a serious kind of nut job to be willing to walk through customs with suitcases to which you have no idea of the contents!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Pleng wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:02 pm You must have to be a serious kind of nut job to be willing to walk through customs with suitcases to which you have no idea of the contents!
I think his plan was to open them in the washroom / toilet, not take them out of the airport.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Ah ok, that makes more sense.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, I wasn't going to contribute to this thread again, but..................

If it was a Thai who got caught stealing luggage, would it even have been mentioned on this forum? Probably not. Why? Is it understandable or acceptable for a Thai to steal, but not a Farang?

Every time a vendor, a taxi driver, or whoever, overcharges a foreigner, or even a fellow Thai who doesn't know better, they are effectively stealing as well.

A few years ago, a local Thai guy who we thought was a friend, even sunk so low as to steal from my kids. Is that reason enough for me to say most Thais here are trash? No, so when a bad apple Farang comes along, no need for us all to feel embarressed.

OP, if you remove your rose tinted glasses for a day or two, I think you may discover that Thailand is not a perfectly flawless country populated by people who are perfect in every way. My goodness, you can get killed here just for pissing off a taxi driver so let's keep things in perspective. Some bum stole some luggage and he got caught. Unfortunately they never caught the Thai who stole my daughter's scooter.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I posted it to give you local expats a heads up only. 12 years visiting, so guessing he know some of you, and frankly, not the kind of person I'd want at my BBQ.

2 things I can't stand, thieves and liars, don't care what nationality. Who says it's OK for a Thai to steal.

My rose tinted glasses broke the first visit here.