Tourist shamed for refusing to take 'smelly' feet off seat

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Tourist shamed for refusing to take 'smelly' feet off seat

Post by Bluesky »

3:14pm April 10, 2017
nine news

A female backpacker has become a social media pariah after she refused to remove her feet from a coach seat in Thailand.

"The smell from her feet was filling the whole bus. It was hot and made me feel sick, because her feet were next to my head," Narong Thaopanya, 21, wrote on Facebook on March 30 during a coach trip from Bangkok to Sukhothai province.

Mr Thaopanya – an army reservist – recorded a short video asking the young woman, who he believed was from France, to take her feet down form a seat's headrest due to a pungent odour quickly filling the bus.

She refused each of his requests and at one point appeared to stretch her toes in contempt.

"I asked her many times to put her legs on the ground and she would not do it. She just kept them in the air," Mr Thaopanya wrote.

"This woman's face was beautiful but she had no manners. "Somebody will have to use the seat and put their head where her dirty feet have been. People should be more respectful when they are visitors to other people’s countries."

[youtube]

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/04/1 ... p7rimCT.99
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Tourist shamed for refusing to take 'smelly' feet off seat

Post by Ginjaninja »

wee cow
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

:lach:

Well, at least she didn't have a bad case of flatulence too. :shock:
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

If you put your feet on a seat on a French train the guard will just thump them off without any comment and walk on and quite right too.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I had one on a flight from Bangkok to the Middle Eat once. Ignorant ***ch put her leg from the seat behind through the gap between the backrests and her foot dug in to my leg! Didn't do it a second time after I very nearly twisted her big toe off! :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ I had a similar experience on TG with a guy from the ME. The whole cabin filled with the most unpleasant aroma , the moment he removed his shoes. I mildly commented and he ignored my requests to either wash his bl***y feet or put his shoes back on. So the only thing for It was to request an extra blanket. The cabin attendant was pleased comply, unwrapped the blanket and threw it over his feet.
It helped a little but only a little. The cabin attendant apologised to me and then moved me, I guess because of my frequent flyer status, to Business Class...... Result :D

I was still sorry for those that still sat around him but I'm sure that I would not have got the upgrade except for him and, for me, it was a great flight home :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The driver should have taken off her socks and started sucking on her toes, but she being French who knows where that may have lead? :shock: :twisted:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

A la Roquefort? :laugh: If the feet are already mildly aromaticized, one must be a brave person (or one who has an appreciation for that sort of thing) to see where that would really lead.. :duck:
วินเชนท์
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hahahaha, sometimes Thai people are just way too polite. :lach:

If it were me, I would have told her that her feet stink, and that sometimes it is a good idea to shower, and I would politely have asked her to get her feet away from me. Had she not obliged, I would simply have convinced her with my cigarette lighter. :twisted:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

First a polite request to move her feet. Second a warning about broken toes. Third, broken toes.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Well, The Nation has published a cartoon in it's online edition featuring the incident. Since making internet infamy, does anyone know where she is now? :twisted:
วินเชนท์
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

prcscct wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:46 pm The driver should have taken off her socks and started sucking on her toes, but she being French who knows where that may have lead? :shock: :twisted:
Don't think they were going to end up "sole mates!" :laugh:
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

There really are some idiot tourists that visit Thailand and give the rest of us a bad reputation. The young man is an army reservist and doesn't have the balls to take a stance against this rude girl. It is good to be polite but there is also a time when you have to take no shit.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

To Heartofmidlothian:
"Idiot tourists",,,,,,,,,,,,give "US" a bad reputation.With all respect the girl obviously was totally at fault,,,,,,yes rude,inconsiderate,but do you honestly believe that a Thai military stance[be it a reservist] towards a wee lassie with smelly feet,would have altered the the drivers attitude of getting to point "A" and return to point "A" as quick as possible,,,,,,,,smell or no smell.
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

To Thistle.
I have no idea what you are trying to say or what point you are trying to make.