Online Ordering - a sign of the times?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Online Ordering - a sign of the times?

Post by laphanphon »

Unlike Thailand, they're simply not building them any more. All in the Philly area are hurting, due to online shopping, along with the anchor stores losing their market share to online shopping, and closing themselves.

Why fight the traffic / congestion, take the time, spend the money of fuel, along with crap customer service from minimum wage employees who don't want to be there, when with a few keystrokes, it's delivered to your house, cheaper.

A giant wave of store closures is about to hit the US
http://www.businessinsider.com/stores-c ... rs-2016-12

A Third of American Malls Will Close Soon
http://time.com/money/4327632/shopping-malls-closing/
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

dennism53 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 pm Without question I'm biased!

But not emotional enough to let unsubstantiated observations get in the way of good business decisions!

Believe me when I say don't feel bad for any REIT's.
Do you purchase existing malls that are or already have failed, knock them down, and build something new?

Or, build on virgin ground?

Old malls are a blight and destroy the inner cities.
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dennism53 »

We purchase existing centers we feel we will be able to retenant (not very often). Malls fail because of the tenant mix for the most part. The consumer ultimately decides what succeeds and what fails. If looking at a failed property you better be sure you have "new in market" tenants up your sleeve and hopefully tie the retail into/with something entertainment based that the market needs.

Depending on what your building (size, outparcel mix, entertainment venue) you could be talking about 150 acres and the chances of finding an infill site for a hugh project like that is pretty rare and prohibitive from a cost standpoint.

I agree on old malls, again it comes down to the site, neighborhood, land value. Many times highest value and best use is not retail.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro! HST
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

i was surprised to read how aggresively walmart has entered the online business--volume approaching that of Amazon.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

dennism53 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 pm Without question I'm biased!

But not emotional enough to let unsubstantiated observations get in the way of good business decisions!

JCP as a retailer has been holding on by finger nails for 20 years, stores that they are closing most likely average 30 years old, they are tired 3rd tier losers that should have been closed. I would challenge anyone to name a major A shopping center opened in the last 5 years that has JCP as an anchor.

How old was this mall in Philly 40 years old,....that's exactly what you see closing all over yet the sq footage of retail in markets keeps increasing with new Lifestyle and Entertainment Centers.

Believe me when I say don't feel bad for any REIT's.
Alright, Good Luck and continued success with your 'Lifestyle and Entertainment Centers'.
:cheers:
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Had what I considered a minor issue with an online order this week.(This is the first time it has happened over quite a few purchases here) Raised it with the company concerned more or less as an advisory note without any expectations.The company immediately got back to me, investigated the matter in an objective professional manner and promptly offered a voucher to cover any inconvenience. Had I raised the same issue with local retailers the outcome would have been totally different. One of the many reasons I continue to use online shopping.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I have ordered from Lazada a few times and all have been week.

I wonder how these guys deal with returns for faulty/unwanted items?

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Henry 14th wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:30 am
I wonder how these guys deal with returns for faulty/unwanted items?

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk
Process is quite straightforward

[img]https://goo.gl/59rh4T/img]
Attachments
Return-EN-711-ThaiPost_zpsd00a3qdt.png
Return-EN-711-ThaiPost_zpsd00a3qdt.png (21.17 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dennism53 »

The major players like Lazada and Amazon have deals with the manufactures that in order to be represented by them they must take returns back for repacking. For a manufacturer it's a small price to pay for global exposure!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro! HST
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

dennism53 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:08 am The major players like Lazada and Amazon have deals with the manufactures that in order to be represented by them they must take returns back for repacking. For a manufacturer it's a small price to pay for global exposure!
And it can work well. Last year I found a bargain laptop on Amazon which had been a return item to Argos with a full test guarantee for re-sale. No complaints.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
samsonph
Novice
Novice

Post by samsonph »

So many brick and mortar stores are disappearing due to an inability to compete with lean online stores. Autonomous vehicles will eventually dominate trucking, taxis, and driving jobs. Automation will continue to replace factory workers and spread into other industries. I wonder what all those displaced people will do? I think there will be tough times ahead during a transition to...who knows?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

it's akin to the industrial revolution. people will have to become re-educated and adapt. those who are too old or unable to learn and adapt will be forced out of the workplace and need some sort of govt. assistance, community aid and family intervention. for those in America you'd better hope that the republicans aren't in office. no, I'm not a democrat but I can read the writing on the wall.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

4.0 is here and hard for retailers or manufacturers to ignore. If they do ignore it they are history. Thailand is not well placed, educated or driven to accept this.

Anyone who has spent any time in China recently will start to see what the future will bring. Staying at a friend's condo they had run out of shampoo. A simple online order for one item at 22:00 resulted in the product outside the door of the apartment, the next morning at 07:00. Price was the same as a normal store retailer.

Thailand has relied on low labour costs and more recently low labour costs of migrant workers. Outside of some pretty specific industries the LOS is really so far behind and pays only lip service to becoming a hub of everything.

There is no real substance in any government planning that truly addresses the changes that are immenent or encourages industry, retailing, education etc.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

There is talk of a guaranteed basic living wage going on in several countries now as people lose jobs to automation. I'm just afraid if something like that becomes the norm very few people will choose to work. If the folks on the dole become larger than the working ones paying taxes to support them...???
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

hhfarang wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:53 pm There is talk of a guaranteed basic living wage going on in several countries now as people lose jobs to automation. I'm just afraid if something like that becomes the norm very few people will choose to work. If the folks on the dole become larger than the working ones paying taxes to support them...???
I think the U.S. would have no problem at all paying a 'guaranteed basic living wage' if they stopped giving away free stuff to all of the illegal aliens (free college tuition, free healthcare, free mobile phones, free housing/apartment vouchers, free food stamps/EBT cards)