Do you ever feel not farang?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Do you ever feel not farang?

Post by dtaai-maai »

I wonder if he ever feels 'not Scottish'?
This is the way
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

he very rarely speaks English.

I thought you wrote that he is Scottish!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Do you think he ever gets to speak Celtic or Gaelic in Isaan. He's Scots therefore part of Britain and the language is English. I'm sure this will wind a few up.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

All in good jest coming from an Aussie-Thai...
:neener:
GN.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

dtaai-maai wrote:I wonder if he ever feels 'not Scottish'?
I am sure he does after 35+ years in Isaan with only Thai/Isaan TV and radio. He is a very sad figure who does not get invited to functions, but whenever I visit, which is not often he always gets invited around so I have someone to talk to.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

"Do you ever feel not Farang"

No.....bordering on a troll thread
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
golferstu

Post by golferstu »

It's not that i do not feel welcome anywhere i have been traveling for these past 3 years.

Only that i sometimes ponder about some odd things i picked up while travelling Bangkok, and that i felt a correlation was in order.

There's not been any problem for me here, or anywhere else for that matter. I came to this place last year and had a great time. I was warmly welcomed and well taken care of. So yeah, i am pretty much satisfied in that regard.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I am a foreigner living in a different country. How else I am I supposed to feel?

I wonder if the many Brits living in Spain are accepted any differently by the natives than we are here?

What is the need to feel like a local when we are not?

I know my stepfather business partner in the UK was know as the 'Indian doctor' even though the Indian was born in the UK.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ], colloquially [falàŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I wonder if the many Brits living in Spain are accepted any differently by the natives than we are here?
I also wonder how anyone not from the Great British Empire would feel about living in UK? Are they accepted as per se?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: RE: Re: Do you ever feel not farang?

Post by Henry 14th »

Bamboo Grove wrote:
I also wonder how anyone not from the Great British Empire would feel about living in UK? Are they accepted as per se?
You have to wonder now especially after Brexit was mainly called because of immigration policies.

As I said in my earlier post. A doctor's who was born,raised and educated in the UK was referred to and the 'indian doctor'.

White guys here in Thailand are categorized as Falang. I believe that on the subcontinent white folk are called Gora.

These are just terms to generalize people whose origins are obviously not local.

Nothing to take offense over thays for sure.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

as long as you're identified as the same color as the people in whose country you are you'll probably feel accepted. a least that was my experience in France, England, Wales, Australia & New Zealand, until I opened my mouth and my accent gave me away.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I was always bemused during South Africa's apartheid era that Chinese were coloured but Japanese were white!!
golferstu

Post by golferstu »

There certainly are moments i feel more farang than others. The problem being not the feeling of being farang in and on itself... What i mean by this is that whatever you do, or wherever you go outside the wider state areas, you are going to be immediately looked funny at. It cannot be helped. Even here, outside the capital, on the farm lands, the hicks are not used to seeing people that are not white and so react immediately by shouting obscenities or some other form or variety of verbal harassment at you. Its nothing I have personally observed or have happened to me, but you never know. I had a pretty bad run in with the locals in South Africa a couple of years ago. That was no fun at all.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Talking last night to an Aussie on this subject--he lived in the UK for over 30y, has a British wife and children, only visited Aus four times in the 30y, but never ever felt British