Shirtless and Topless Farangs

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Shirtless and Topless Farangs

Post by handdrummer »

somehow I can't imagine the sentence, "sorry miss, I could not approach you when you were naked." being spoken by a Thai policeman or any other Thai for that matter. well, maybe a Thai educated in an English speaking country.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

handdrummer wrote:somehow I can't imagine the sentence, "sorry miss, I could not approach you when you were naked." being spoken by a Thai policeman or any other Thai for that matter. well, maybe a Thai educated in an English speaking country.
But it's a lot more fun than had he said "sorry I couldn't approach you earlier to arrest you, as it would have spoilt my enjoyment"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

he actually said--you must keep tits covered, give me 400 baht
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

he really said---you must keep tits uncovered or give me 400 baht.
dawit
Novice
Novice

Post by dawit »

where can i find topless females sunbathers? hahahaha
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They are there if you care to look hard enough. However, most aren't worth the effort.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote: but if any of you really believe that Thais, are offended by a bare chest, I can provide the evidence -
I don't see how a video of somebody who clearly has mental issues taking a dump on the pavement in any way counters the argument that Thais may or may not be offended by a bare chest.

Anyway, you just need to read the responses in this thread to realize that if you're an old man wandering the streets topless with a big fat belly hanging out then it's not (just, if in fact they are...) the Thais that are revolted by you. Many of your peers also find you disgusting.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pleng wrote:Anyway, you just need to read the responses in this thread to realize that if you're an old man wandering the streets topless with a big fat belly hanging out then it's not (just, if in fact they are...) the Thais that are revolted by you. Many of your peers also find you disgusting.
Just as well I'm not one of them then :D

The replies are talking about rules also, but I haven't seen much evidence of them.

The fact remains, I see more bare chested Thai (or Asian at least) men than I see Farangs. I honestly don't understand what the fuss is about.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The fact remains, I see more bare chested Thai (or Asian at least) men than I see Farangs. I honestly don't understand what the fuss is about.
Maybe the fuss is about there are not enough topless women walking about! :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Probably - you don't see that many of either.

Points 48; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Big Boy wrote:The replies are talking about rules also, but I haven't seen much evidence of them

Public nudity or women topless bathers, on a beach, are indeed breaking the law under Section 388 of Thailand's Criminal Code, it is a petty crime, punishable by a fine of maximum 500 baht fine I believe.

The same laws apply to naked or semi naked entertainers in sex bars although we all know that laws are flaunted every day and enforcement is unlikely if sufficient tea funds are provided.

I am not sure how these same laws apply to men in public without shirts. I guess that again it will be local interpretation and current level of tea fund.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

When I started this thread it was about farangs ignoring Thai customs and courtesies. Personally I don't care what people wear or do not wear.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-law-34335.php
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I understood it was about Thai customs. However, I don't see shirtless men being against Thai custom. I see many more shirtless Thai men than I do shirtless Farangs.

Topless Thai women are quite rare outside of bar areas these days. It used to be very common in the villages in the early 90s, but most Thai ladies show a lot more modesty these days. However, Farang women daunt flaunt their boobs as they walk through the street. Those that go topless are usually laying on a sunbed on a beach surrounded by other Farangs. Are they really that offensive?
I don't see how a video of somebody who clearly has mental issues taking a dump on the pavement in any way counters the argument that Thais may or may not be offended by a bare chest.
How many times do you see Thai men just getting their bits out and peeing anywhere? These guys aren't mental. I'm driving to Bangkok soon, and I'll see this practice at least 6 times en-route, guaranteed. I know which I find more offensive, but I can live with it.

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: I know which I find more offensive, but I can live with it.
What you or I find offensive is neither here nor there...

This is all a bit of a non-issue IMO. However, I do recall an incident around 13 years ago on Koh Samui. A routine police stop, very polite and everything in order. However, my friend had removed his t-shirt and was quietly told to put it on.
No question of tea money or laws being broken.
This is the way
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote: How many times do you see Thai men just getting their bits out and peeing anywhere? These guys aren't mental. I'm driving to Bangkok soon, and I'll see this practice at least 6 times en-route, guaranteed. I know which I find more offensive, but I can live with it.
People stopping by the roadside to take a leak is not the same as a guy taking a dump in the middle of the street. To argue that behaviour of the guy in the video is normal is absurd.