Does being an Expat make you miserable?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Does being an Expat make you miserable?

Post by Big Boy »

It does make me laugh when I read all of the negative comments about the new ferry. I would say 90% of everything I've read about the new ferry is negative (and I'm talking about a wide range of Expat supported social media - not just HH Forum), yet many people would get on one of those flimsy long tail speed boats to go island hopping. I know which I'd feel safer using.

This attitude seems to follow Expats around regardless of initiative in Thailand. Is it that we're generally of the older variety, and have all become miserable gits (I know I'm happy when I'm moaning), or is there something fundamentally wrong with Thailand and their many initiatives?

Personally, I'm quite excited about the ferry initiative.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Does being an Expat make you miserable?

Post by RCer »

Personally, I try not to compare how things are done here vs in the US. This isn't the US. I do make that mistake now and then, though. Impossible not to.

As for the ferry, I'm still waiting for information about carrying motorbikes and cars. I have no interest in just taking it across for the purpose of visiting Pattaya. If I could bring transport with me, it would make it worth while.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The older you get, the more there is to whinge about. Doesn't mean we're miserable. Just part of getting old!!

Re the ferry, I believe the only real complaint is the price. RCER, there was some info (can't be bothered to look for it) that the initial ferry is passengers only and transport carrying ferries are planned for the future depending on the success of project.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You obviously haven't seen the vast number of adverse comments following the above video. I think one positive amongst dozens of negatives.

Points 41; Position 18
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Most of the farang complaints are of matters that actually contribute to the fact that we are in Thailand.

If everything was well-oiled and worked like clockwork, if everything was clean and well-ordered like the barracks, Thailand would be Switzerland or Singapore.

We would neither like it nor could afford it.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

The only thing that made me miserable here was being married to a thai, now i can catch the 830am boat to pattaya, have a few hours in the famous soi 6, and catch the 330pm boat back to hua hin...that will make me happy11
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I was an expat in Dubai for 12 years and was blissfully happy for most of them. I've been in Hua Hin for only 3 months and am very happy so far, the good (cheap, very tranquil countryside setting for my home/pool, warm but actually can see rain and seasons, locals actually MUCH friendlier/more open than most Emiratis, etc.) far outweigh 3 monthly reporting, the occasional "Thai time' delays, daily police roadblocks, lack of availability of a lot of items (detailed pool chemistry seems a mystery to most shops here) , and other grouches. And many things are actually more efficient than Dubai, believe it or not. Plus where else do you get roundabouts that consist of a dog?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Farang wrote:Most of the farang complaints are of matters that actually contribute to the fact that we are in Thailand.

If everything was well-oiled and worked like clockwork, if everything was clean and well-ordered like the barracks, Thailand would be Switzerland or Singapore.

We would neither like it nor could afford it.
"And if there were no rules, where would we be?"

(has he gigged in Thailand yet?)
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

If you adapt to your environment you probably won't be as miserable as there would be a lot more to do..

Was back in Sillypore last October and as usual found the cost of living astronomical as compared to Thailand. Things in Thailand have improved by leaps and bounds over the years to the point I am more comfortable here in Thailand.

When I came here 27 years ago it would take up to a week to process a driving licence and you would need to get the form filled out in Thai by a very helpful (private)counter set up for that express purpose for the princely sum of ten baht.
It is all computerized now and takes a couple of minutes. Cost is the same with the exception that the form can now be done in English so that private counter has all but gone, so same as what the locals pay.

I have social security here in Thailand where I can go for medical treatment at a hospital registered under the scheme and am in and out in less than two hours tops. This costs me 400 baht a month.
Same thing in Sillypore, I go to a polyclinic (equivalent of the social welfare system here), you wait at least half a day, are seen to by some filipino doctor - half the nurses now come from that country - and get stung for at least 1000 baht per visit (this was for foot rash - just some meds and ointment that did not work) The local pharmacy (Raan Khai Ya) back here sorted it out with a lotion that cost me just 25 baht.

Yeah, it works both ways but I find I'm happier here. I'll just fly back to see friends and for the local food when I have the need for it. Permanent residency her helps... As does reading, writing and speaking the local lingo.

Gigging?? Hehe.. Another reason to give this place the thumbs up..
วินเชนท์
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I am extremely happy here. Kids have flown the roost. 2 of them back to the UK so no likelihood of turning up unannounced with their problems.
As we get older it's our duty to moan, it's expected of us and I do my best!!! lol
I've been here for 15 years and my only serious gripe is the driving, something that I'll never get used to or understand.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:You obviously haven't seen the vast number of adverse comments following the above video. I think one positive amongst dozens of negatives.
It's not just expats that are negative, I've just shown that video to my Thai partner and she wasn't positive about going on the ferry either.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I agree - I've just been reading a few Thai comments. Some are asking how to get a freebie, but many are talking about the roll, sea sickness, safety etc.

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I think there is a lot of skepticism about the ferry which based on Thailand's safety record is well justified. If your car breaks down you can roll to a halt and get help. If the bus or van driver is that bad you can demand he stop and get off. At sea you do not have this option and while it may only be just over a 100km that is certainly far enough to get in serious trouble.
Before leaping onto this ferry I would be interested to know if the officers hold STCW recognized certificates of competence and is the company ISO accredited. While the ferries will most likely be under the Thai flag, what classification society will they be under.
Perhaps this is the professional seafarer in me coming out and I do hope the venture is a success but this one appears to have been brought in rather rapidly which naturally makes me cautious.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But it's not just the ferry, although that's what prompted my post. I can think of many examples, going back to the build of Suvarnabhumi on a swamp through to the new rail links. There always seem to be a lot of naysayers amongst the expat community. Most of us have used Suvarnabhumi successfully for many years.

Points 41; Position 18
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

but you get that everywhere, in any country whenever something is being done you have loads of "grumpies" having a good moan