Thailand's increasing intolerance of alcohol

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand's increasing intolerance of alcohol

Post by oakdale160 »

There is some effort in China to Chinafy things. Bars and restaurants must have Chinese names and 'ex-pat friendly' areas are being defined. I could see that happeninng in HH as the number of Thai visitors increase. It could be that, for instance, only Soi 80 could have signage in English and allow bar-girls, creating a ghetto for ex-pats.
Liberty70
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Liberty70 »

11am Hoi An, Vietnam, $AUD0.60 for the pair... No problems!

oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

stock up from the 7/11 before [Mod Edit] Comment removed - sorry, Thai law does not permit such comment/discussion.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Stocked up today on a trip to Makro. Just in case...
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Drgonzo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Drgonzo »

I could probably use a few days off.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

I hope that in 2017 I can still buy some beer and other bottles in the stores like Market Mall,
and the bars in the areas of Hua Hin that are known for beer and the good stuff.
Otherwise i will have to fly to these other Asian countries like Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia, as
I have also enjoyed a few beers in Malaysia and Singapore and I may even go there just
to enjoy my holidays without being restricted for being a drinker.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Stargeezer--Even when AKLL the outlets to buy beer are ALL closed there are places--But we cant name them on the forum. When ALL the bars are closed there are places, but we cant name them on the forum. Nothing in Thai is ever 100% or 0%
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sidthesloth »

Interesting to note that the same members posting in this thread would likely froth at the mouth at the thought of another HH expat purchasing marijuana to consume in the privacy of their home. Thai's aren't the only ones irrationally intolerant.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

I don't have any problem: A cool box with ice and drinks in my car.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

You are quite right caller I misread the article and have not been to a match in England since Palace beat liverpool in the FA semi final.

If they go full prohibition I'll build a still and a micro brewery and turn my place into a "Speakeasy" We'll be fine. Just need some dancing girls, male strippers for ladies night, a stack of brown envelopes and some tommy guns :cheers: :thumb:

Crazy 88
buksida

Post by buksida »

REGULATOR SHUTS DOWN BOOZE BUFFET; THREATENS TO PROSECUTE PEOPLE SHARING ALCOHOL PICS
Thailand’s top anti-alcohol crusader is back, and he wants the internet to know even unintentionally promoting alcohol can lead to prosecution.

Following a yearlong media hiatus, Alcohol Control Board director Samarn Futrakul this week shut down a bar advertising all-you-can-drink packages on social media and warned Thursday that any netizen who encourages people to drink could face the same charges, no matter their intentions.

“Just by showing names and brands, whether directly or indirectly, people who post those photos are at risk of violating the same provision,” Samarn said by telephone.

The provision he referred to is Section 32 of Alcohol Control Act, which bans the display of names or trademarks of alcohol to “induce people to drink such alcoholic beverage either directly or indirectly.”

Samarn’s comments came after he alerted police officers in Chiang Rai province on Tuesday to arrest the owners of a bar offering a happy hour promotion in which customers could drink all they could at the low price of 190 baht. Women didn’t pay anything to drink before 8pm.

Samarn seized headlines for his prohibitionist fervor late last year until he faced a backlash for going too far.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... ohol-pics/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

......"induce people to drink such alcoholic beverage either directly or indirectly.”.....

How does one do that? Perhaps similar to the coffee made from beans shite out by those civet cats? The imagination runs wild! :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

it's comforting to know that insanity is a world wide illness.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Better shut down the beer Chang thread. :)
buksida

Post by buksida »

TOP ANTI-BOOZE CRUSADER REMOVED FROM POST
The official whose name is synonymous with stringent enforcement of anti-alcohol laws lost his job in a surprise ministry shuffling announced Friday night.

After ten years at helm of the Alcohol Control Board, during which he introduced series of sweeping measures designed to cut alcohol sales and consumption, Samarn Futrakul was transferred to head a bureau dealing with sexually-transmitted diseases. His transfer followed a week of allegation that authorities were pressured by beer monopolies to silence Samarn.

Speaking by telephone Saturday morning, Samarn said he’s heard about such speculation but could not say if it has any basis.

“I know as much as reporters do. I don’t know whether it’s true,” Samarn said. “But if it’s true, it will clearly indicate that the work that we have done is the right way. If it’s true, it means we affect their business and reduce their sales … if it’s true, it means the alcohol businesses feel shaken.”

Samarn’s new post is heading the Bureau of AIDS, TB and STIs. He is replaced by Nipon Chinanonwait, who was transferred from a department that handles bug-borne diseases.

Samarn added that he is not upset by the move but he is concerned about unfinished works at the booze control department, like numerous lawsuits he had filed against violators of alcohol laws.

“It’s not a problem for me,” he said. “My only worry is the old works that I started there.”

A physician by trade and an avowed Buddhist by spirit, Samarn has said in previous media interviews he believes alcohol is both sinful and harmful. He is most well known for helping draft the draconian 2008 Alcohol Control Act, which prohibits any activities that “induce people to drink such alcoholic beverage either directly or indirectly.”

He also went after beer buffet, pre-mixed cocktails, instant beer, booze advertisements, beer gardens, and even threatened to prosecute anyone posting pictures of themselves drinking alcohol on social media.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... oved-post/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson