Spitfire wrote:Maybe should rewrite the topic title to "increasing intorerance of everything."
Whole of Asia is heading down this route.
Care to elaborate, Spitfire - the whole of Asia?? - that's a big part of the world, where's the evidence please?
Yes, perhaps a sweeping statement but we could consider the following:The Philippines
- We all know they elected a very controversial president that is bordering on the criminal before he even took office. Obviously hates the West and has designs for changing many things whatever the cost...not to mention his 'War on drugs' and intolerance to a few other things. He will screw up so much more than what he has already as he has another 6 years to totally fcuk it all up...which he totally will.China
- I heard from some folks that have experience of the place that what they are doing these days is that they want to get rid of Chinese people/domestic immigrants from where they want to get rid of them (like Shanghai) that are not necessary anymore (including foreigners too), i.e. 'Thanks for your help but goddbye.' I guess nothing new with China, being it's a state run by a dictator that hides beind 'La La' socialism....but they are even throwing their own migrant people out of the major cities that they helped build. I read on BBC that they are bricking up migrants houses windows that have been turned into shops over the years citing cutlural housing preservation (as if they give ahit about that).
No need to even mention the South China Sea and their beligerence on that front. I read they are even thinking of putting a small nuclear reactor on one of the islands....great move for diplomacy and tolerance.Indonesia
- Brings back the death penalty and doesn't care what people say, sinks fishing vessels, fails to crack down on forest fires because of the palm oil industry's power and is ever lurching towards Islamic law and it's well known indifference to everything. One of the worst places to do business in many people's eyes.Burma
- Social indifference to all non Burmese and nut job xenophobic monks plus a soft democratic government that lacks teeth because the previous junta still holds significant power.Thailand
- Can't say too much here as will be moderated by the green squad. Suffice to say that prominent people get jailed for being sarastic in public statements and basically a witch hunt is going on atm. Thailand keeps getting itself in the news for all the wrong reasons, like with that kid from HK. I'd say plenty of intolerance...even if passive.Cambodia
- Basically this country has sold it's soul to China and gets lots of goodies in return but the price is that ASEAN is neutralized and can't make a collective statement because Cambodia doesn't agree on China's bidding. ASEAN has basically become a meaningless talking shop (like the UN) as no-one can agree due to political differentences and moves. I guess Cambodia doesn't care for ASEAN...just itself. It (Cambodia) gets more from bowing down to China that it does from serving the agreements it signed up to regarding ASEAN (make no mistake the importance of neutralizing ASEAN for China). HunSen is a dictator like Robert Mugabe who's time is more than done. Hopefully these people will move on from this mortal coil soon and allow fresh politicans to take over (dreaming I know).India/Pakistan
- Two nuclear powers that hate eachother and can't agree on anything without losing face infront of an insane public. These two are a family at war, always have been since independence. They are only interested in one-upmanship with eachother and Kamir/Jammu will ensure there will be no peace between them. Tensoin and indifference towards each other are unusually high atm.North Korea
- Goes without saying on this one, but they seem hell bent on being a problem no matter what. China refuses to reign then in and Obamas administration lack a spine on not just this issue but many.
The deployment of a THAAD system in South Korea (Obama's only recent example of balls) has the Chinese hopping mad but they are the antagonists here in the South China Sea and could solve the North Korea problem at a click of the finger....but decide not to.Russia
- The new assertive Russia is just begging the west to engage it somewhere and will keep on pushing until someone says 'That's enough' and does something. Europe and the US have lost so much credibility in the last couple of years it's unreal and the Chinese, Russians and so many others have done whatever they can to get stuff done till there is an angry Hillary Clinton in the White House...whom they all despise.
As another poster mentioned....they can still get a beer in Vietnam, well...good for you. Vietnam seems to be one of the few Asian countries that isn't going silly atm.
It doesn't look so rosy atm......and looks like confict of some sort might well be on the way somewhere with so many beligerent powers jostling for influence and stature and importance, which we have not seen the likes of for a very long time.
Nationalism has been rising in many countries all over the world, including Asia, and with it brings a high degree of intolerance. I don't think my comments in the previous post about intolerance were too way off but are not just limited to Thailand.
A great deal of people are naffed-off and tired of the status quo that has gone before for a the last 20-30 years and the upcoming generation is showing it's will nd dissent.....not to mention that it's easy to see that it's slowly starting to come to the surface in many place in many ways.
My appologies for a ridiculously long post...maybe wasn't needed. Just observations of a private individual and not chaiming to be a definitive source on anything.Edit
- Sorry, forgot Malaysia, another one lurching towards Ismalic theocracy and intolerance. Also edited for typos.