So... I'm Moving Back to England

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: So... I'm Moving Back to England

Post by NOKYAI »

He's going to have to learn the language if he moves to Harrogate !
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

A few pints of Tetleys will soon sort out pharvey's Fat Bottomed Girls.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thanks for the comments lads. It's gonna be a different challenge that's for sure. One that I'm up for, mind.
aragon wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote: I'm moving from the place of the mysterious 'jumping off balcony farangs' to the 'happiest place in the UK', Harrogate. I'm used to switching between each polar extreme so this suits me to a tee.
Sorry, but......

Harrogate's NOT Britain's happiest town anymore! After three years, it's knocked off the top by Essex seaside spot Leigh-on-Sea

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... h-Sea.html
I book a plane ticket there and the next day Harrogate drops two places in the happiness list. My coming to town has evidently dropped everyone's happiness 10%. :oops:

:cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

GLCQuantum wrote: I book a plane ticket there and the next day Harrogate drops two places in the happiness list. My coming to town has evidently dropped everyone's happiness 10%. :oops:

It's nice to be counted :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Life is: 10 % random chance, 90 % your own decisions and attitudes.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Good luck GLC. I hope it all works out for you and you get to see the spuds play from time to time. The UK is great, just avoid London. Or if you have to go to London, go SW. It's the best part - Boroughs of Richmond and Kingston and nearby areas either side of the river are best.
Talk is cheap
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I think you've made the right decision, GLC. You're still young and employable, and judging from your opening post Thailand has becoming an irritating rash that isn't going to be fixed staying here. I've just come back from a UK trip, and was more than happy to return here. Yes, I miss the family and good beer - but that's about it. For me, the positives of my life here far outweigh any thoughts about returning to live in the UK.

Good luck with your move -
VS :cheers:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Good luck to you GLC. I can't speak for you but I sure made the right decision moving back to the U.S. after a decade over there. Now I can't believe I put up with the crap over there for so long. Life is so much better now here (for me). People over there almost had me convinced it was me and that I would be unhappy anywhere I lived, but now I know it was the place.

Everyone is different so you may or may not find the same but I hope you do. Let us know how it turns out after a few months of adjustment back there.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

Heartof midlothian, one of the most sensible posts ever. Btw from Dalkeith
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Pagey wrote:Good Luck GLC,

Harrogate is a nice place and a lot of the population are the same age as HH I guess !

And it's only a short drive to 'Ull........

Well said that man!

Seriously GLC I think you have indeed done well to get through there. There have been times you've caused us all worry! But it's still been a huge part of your life as well as valuable experience. Be prepared to miss it like hell. Be prepared to be treated a bit like an alien (yes even in Harrogate) and be prepared for people to switch off when you tell them where you have been.
Above all pretend to go along with the system - ie all the job search and benefits stuff. Don't let the ******* get you down and the best of luck. :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Best of luck with your move GLC. Everyone is different, and for some, Thailand is simply not the right place to be, even if it was for several years. I never thought I would say this, but if I had the financial means, I think I would be packing my bags as well.

Don't get me wrong because I am still very happy living here, and in my heart, I know that it would be extremely hard for me to adjust to life back in the west now, but sometimes I just feel as though I've had enough.

Anyway, I have always enjoyed your posts on here, and I sure as hell hope that you don't just vanish into the night.

Good luck mate. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

Lot to be said re above, but even if you learn thai you are still a farang therefore you may be worth being
Being a friendnfor commercial gain. Could I ask a further question? For thosse of you in your 60s with a Thai "wife" in her 20s, do you think thats normal? Would you do it in your home country?
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

gerryha wrote:Lot to be said re above, but even if you learn thai you are still a farang therefore you may be worth being
Being a friendnfor commercial gain. Could I ask a further question? For thosse of you in your 60s with a Thai "wife" in her 20s, do you think thats normal? Would you do it in your home country?
What's normal? You mean following sheep? I don't have a Thai wife in her 20's but multiple Gigs ranging from 17 to 45 and I'm in my late 70's!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

Jimmy, guess your English, we can debate normality all day but why not hoast about Englishngirls who will love only you?
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Sorry to hear that you are leaving Thailand GLC. I hope you will continue to be active on this forum, I enjoy reading your posts.