So... I'm Moving Back to England

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

So... I'm Moving Back to England

Post by GLCQuantum »

An end of an era...

Most of you guys, that have known me for the past 9 years on here (and those that have known me for the 12 years outside of the forum), know that I'm a guy that's not gonna be happy here for a lifetime. They, the ol' powers that be, could legalize god's lettuce and I'd still not be ship shape. I almost moved to China a little while back, but me old mucker Pharvey put me off that idea somewhat. After further research, I thank him for his insight into the country.

So today it was finalized. At around 6ish in the evening, on November 7th, I will be home again.

It's been a hell of a ride. I'm surprised that I, a loose cannon, managed to get through 12 years to be fair. People as 'up and down' as myself are usually chewed up and spat out within a year, never mind a decade... so that's something. I came here potless, on a business class ticket, a few days before my 21st birthday. I'm leaving here, potless, a few months after my 33rd birthday. I'm sure I'll be back, but it'll be for holiday purposes only.

I simply can't handle...

* being an alien.

* the fact that I could be kicked out of the country at the whim of an ignorant xenophobic.

* working for 'precious' people who can't handle criticism.

* the dirt, rubbish and pollution.

* the increasing level of street dogs once again in Hua Hin.

* blah blah blah etc etc.

I'm moving from the place of the mysterious 'jumping off balcony farangs' to the 'happiest place in the UK', Harrogate. I'm used to switching between each polar extreme so this suits me to a tee.

So...

What to expect after 12 years away?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
buksida

Re: So... I'm Moving Back to England

Post by buksida »

I've just come back to Thailand after visiting England after an 18 year sojourn away and I absolutely loved it there. But I also love it here for completely different reasons, the two countries are poles apart, the two countries piss me off at the highest level some times, so all I try to do is stay within that magnetic field and keep a balance - which is not easy by any means!

My thoughts and a few photos from my first trip back in case you're interested: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32774
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

buksida wrote:I've just come back to Thailand after visiting England after an 18 year sojourn away and I absolutely loved it there. But I also love it here for completely different reasons, the two countries are poles apart, the two countries piss me off at the highest level some times, so all I try to do is stay within that magnetic field!

My thoughts and a few photos from my first trip back in case you're interested: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32774
I followed your trip with great interest Buksi. The photos made me a little homesick to be fair, but that's just your skilled handiwork with the camera, I fear.

:cheers:
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

I can hardly believe your post! It encapsulates exactly the reason why, after 11 years, we are leaving Thailand in Jan. It is often said that Thais dont want us here and I no longer want to live where it is made clear on a daily basis that we are not welcome. One of the saddest things is that I have never met a farang who has a real Thai friend - go for a few beers together, pop round each others house etc.

Best of luck with the move.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

gerryha wrote:I can hardly believe your post! It encapsulates exactly the reason why, after 11 years, we are leaving Thailand in Jan. It is often said that Thais dont want us here and I no longer want to live where it is made clear on a daily basis that we are not welcome. One of the saddest things is that I have never met a farang who has a real Thai friend - go for a few beers together, pop round each others house etc.

Best of luck with the move.
:agree:
I can't say that I have ever met a farang who has a real Thai friend either, and I have been here for about 10 years.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Good Luck GLC,

Harrogate is a nice place and a lot of the population are the same age as HH I guess !

And it's only a short drive to 'Ull........
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I travelled a few times to Harrogate on business in the early 90's, when GLC would have been in shorts (he probably still is a lot of the time) and then two things I recall most - staying at the Majestic Hotel an old hotel with lots of charm and finding the best Indian restaurant (food wise) I have probably ever had. No idea what the name was, but the female chef who ran the place also taught Indian cookery classes at Harrogate College. Not only was the food fantastic, the prices were rock bottom and while you were eating, the chef came and asked you what you thought of the food. I'm sure lots will have changed since then, but good luck GLC.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Good luck GCL, I agree with every reason you give and that is one reason why I never stay here too long. Make the best of life in the UK until your next expedition comes along.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

GLCQuantum wrote: I'm moving from the place of the mysterious 'jumping off balcony farangs' to the 'happiest place in the UK', Harrogate. I'm used to switching between each polar extreme so this suits me to a tee.
Sorry, but......

Harrogate's NOT Britain's happiest town anymore! After three years, it's knocked off the top by Essex seaside spot Leigh-on-Sea

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... h-Sea.html
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Good luck with your move back to England. Hopefully like HuaHin Farang you will keep posting.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

if you think England is England your deluded its not welcoming to the English your more of an alien in England than you are in Thailand and the rubbish on the streets is a lot deeper
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well mate, you've certainly made the right decision in not moving to China! Certainly not the place for you IMO. You'll certainly see a lot of changes in the UK since your move to Thailand, but unlike as some have said far, far from all bad....... although some depend on your feelings towards "Fat Bottomed Girls"!! :shock: :wink:

All the best with the move, I'm sure it'll go well for you :thumb: Also, as dundrillin says, hopefully you'll keep posting.

:cheers: :cheers:
stretch wrote:if you think England is England your deluded its not welcoming to the English your more of an alien in England than you are in Thailand and the rubbish on the streets is a lot deeper
True for a few areas, but tarring the entire country with the same brush is completely wrong.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wish you well for the future.

My son has just been back in the UK for 5 weeks, the first time in over 4 years. OK, he was in holiday mode, but he had the most fantastic time whilst there. Of course things move on and there were changes, but not all for the bad.

It would be nice to hear from you, maybe 6 months to a year on, letting us know how you have found the move.

I actually remember talking to you in P&P Bar not long after you'd moved here. The conversation back then went something like, dead end job, all alone, no future and broke, so you packed your bags and moved here for a better life. As I said, things move on. I have no intention of ever returning to the UK................................ but never say never.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

UK is a great place to live. Thailand is also a great place to live. Good luck to those who decide to leave Thailand because they don't like it anymore. What I don't understand is those who choose to stay here but constantly complain about Thai people not liking them. Maybe it is because you are always complaining and criticising their country instead of learning their language, talking to them and trying to understand them.
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

heartofmidlothian wrote:UK is a great place to live. Thailand is also a great place to live. Good luck to those who decide to leave Thailand because they don't like it anymore. What I don't understand is those who choose to stay here but constantly complain about Thai people not liking them. Maybe it is because you are always complaining and criticising their country instead of learning their language, talking to them and trying to understand them.
Spot on......an extremely important point when living anywhere in the world.....many seem to carry on blissfully without even a thought to this very astute observation.