Employment for disabled people

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Employment for disabled people

Post by StevePIraq »

Living in HH can be a real pleasure for most of us but I have often thought how difficult it must be if one is disabled or even temporarily have limited mobility.

It is just about impossible to use a wheelchair on any of the pavements (sidewalks for Americans) which are continually occupied by informal businesses of every sort, plus the fact that most sidewalks are full of death trap holes and obstacles and there are no ramps anywhere.

I have today been into Big C on Pala U Road and they have employed a disabled person to work on the weighing/pricing scale in the fruit and veg section, the gent is confined to a wheelchair, regardless he is cheery and very helpful. I think this is a great move by Big C and wish more businesses would focus on employing disabled people, there are so many positions they could easily fill.

10/10 to Big C
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Employment for disabled people

Post by bsdk1960 »

:agree: :clap: a big hand to Big C for that, and I have made the same thoughts as you,it must be very difficult to go around on your own in Thailand.

:cheers: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It is disgusting how disabled people are treated in this country. Hypocritical barstewards! Me first, me first, I am a compassionate Buddhist that always considers other people, but me first, me first. :cuss:

I am not yet needing a wheel chair, but I am partly dis-abled now and need either a crutch, or a good walking stick.
I have given up a simple thing like parking in a dis-abled bay at a shopping centre. Many times there are 2 cars forced into one bay leaving no space to get in or out of either car, or come back to the car to find some A******** has double parked right in front of my car and then no sign of anyone to push the bloody thing out of the way.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I must say, I've seen a couple of wheelchair going down Petchkasem recently. Of course, I looked hard, and it did make me think a bit, but at the end of the day, what is the alternative?

Brave or foolish? Make up your own mind.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Over the years, I've hurt my feet one way or another walking around the streets of HH and Thailand. Twisted an ankle, stubbed a toe.
Ok, it's hardly a major disability that others have to endure but, Christ, when even partially "disabled" the roads and pavements are are real danger.
Crossing Petchkasem Road is a real problem because I can't move quick enough.
Heaven knows how those in wheelchairs manage and yes I've seen a number of farangs wheeling themselves around over the years - normally with a helper to get them over the 3 meter high kerbs!!
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I really, really do feel sorry for anyone who needs to use a wheelchair in this backward-thinking town.
I see tourists & expats alike trying to navigate down Poolsuk Rd on an evening with tuk-tuks & cars revving behind them, or Thai youths shaving past them on m/cycles..why are they on the road in a w/chair in the 1st place?..'cos there's no damned alternative!! :cuss:
Furthermore these 'less fortunate' folk here on holiday will most certainly be thinking twice about returning to Hua Hin.
I cannot see the reason behind H.H. not having 1 single area they can call a 'Walking St'..even the night market is plagued with m/cycles pushing their way thru' the masses.
After 6pm the whole block from Burger King, past the Hilton,Poolsuk & the bar area needs to be pedestrianised..but it will never happen..the Thais cannot even obey the rules of a 1-way system never mind no traffic at all.. :banghead:
So to all you folk who have endured the road/pavement network to reach your chosen bar or restaurant..
...Well done..& I for 1 hope you enjoy your meal or beer(s)
:cheers: :cheers:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

In December I was in Buri Ram, what a different place compared to HH, so well developed, big smooth roads wide clear sidewalks in many areas. I wonder why HH is so poorly developed compared to other places.

I to have a duff ankle right now and walking in town is a pain, never a ramp on a side walk, sidewalks always fill of signs, motorbikes, shrubs making it a pain in the ass to get around.

HH really is backward in some ways
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I've been classified as disabled all my life, (spine, legs and arm problems) but I never let it hold me back and held down very good jobs all my life.
But, when I lived in Thailand full time, it was a real eye opener to me.

The state of the sidewalks and the height of them were a real problem but I realise that the curb heights are there to cope with the heavy rains.

What really got to me, was those bloody big grills in the pavements that I would invariably put my walking stick down, causing me to drop up to my elbow before I realised what was happening.
In the end, I stopped using my stick! Like a drunk, I would usually fall but not suffer any serious injury, at least not always. :cry:

Thailand is no different than many Asian countries, they don't give a toss about people with disabilities and it ain't ever going to change. :banghead:

Thank God I can still drive, at least I can get somewhere near where I want to go and walk the rest of the way. I feel for you people who have no choice and have to use a wheelchair.

EDIT. It never stopped me getting to my favourite bar. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Khundon1975 wrote:I feel for you people who have no choice and have to use a wheelchair.

EDIT. It never stopped me getting to my favourite bar. :wink:
A few years ago I brought my brother-in-law to Thailand. He had suffered a major stroke a good number of years previos and wanted to come back for a holiday.

It was a total nightmare! His disability is such that he is confined to a wheelchair and taking him anywhere in BKK and HH was a serious challenge. Height of pavements, cars parking across crossing ramps, no access to sky train, only a few hotels having wheelchair access... the list is endless

However by hook or by crook we always got to a bar for a couple of medicinal drinks :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Bamsen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bamsen »

I have heard that it has become a regulation from Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare that company with more than 120 staff must have at least 10% of disabled workers. At least it is a good sign but I dont think this rule can be applied with all industrial sectors.