Solar Power in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
pharvey

Solar Power in Thailand

Post by pharvey »

Seems solar power production in Thailand is kicking off at long last.. :thumb: Although seemingly a long, long way behind the bigger producers........ and with all that sunshine!! :roll:

Full Report: -

COP21: Thailand's Solar Revolution Sparked by a Woman

"Thailand is modernising fast and hooked on fossil fuels. In the decade to 2010, they grew by almost 70%, the United Nations says.
Petroleum, natural gas and coal - the biggest source of heat-trapping CO2 - together still supply 76% of the country's energy needs, latest government figures show.
At the same time, Thailand's energy consumption from alternative and renewable sources is accelerating rapidly.
Solar, the fastest growing sector by more than 2000% in four years, has benefited from the biggest public and private investment."

Very interesting to see the "Top 10 List" of Solar Power/Energy producing countries (as of September 2014) and not least the breakneck speed at which production has increased since 2010 (source http://pureenergies.com/us/blog/top-10- ... lar-power/) : -

1. Germany: 35.5 GW (2010: 9.8 GW — 1st place)
2. China: 18.3 GW (2010: .305 GW — 8th Place)
3. Italy: 17.6 GW (2010: 1.2 GW — 5th Place)
4. Japan: 13.6 GW (2010: 2.6 GW — 3rd Place)
5. United States: 12 GW (2010: 1.6 GW — 4th Place)
6. Spain: 5.6 GW (2010: 3.4 GW — 2nd Place)
7. France: 4.6 GW (2010: .272 GW — 9th Place)
8. Australia: 3.3 GW (2010: .125 GW)
9. Belgium: 3GW (2010: .363 GW — 7th Place)
10. United Kingdom: 2.9 GW (2010: .027 GW)

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Solar Power in Thailand

Post by StevePIraq »

Thailand Solar generation is forecast to reach 2.8GW by the end of 2015 and 6GW by 2036. Yes it's a long way below the established western economies but growing at a substantial rate. The world needs to urgently get away from fossil fuels.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

Was looking at setting up solar at home since we're plagued with power supply problems but it seems that it is still prohibitively expensive.

Original topic here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23797
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

For homes it is still unrealistic, everyone talks about the pay back period but one must also remember that batteries do not last forever, and they are expensive especially in Thailand. PV panel guaranteed output after 20+ years is also a difficult issue, the panels themselves are not guaranteed for 20 years so the quoted values are only a guide.

I have some land and was looking at developing a small solar power plant, potentially 0.5MW. The Thai government is only issuing a limited number of green generation licenses and it is extremely difficult for a small operation to obtain one as this will restrict the larger operations. Once one has a generation license this does not guarantee your energy will be purchased. One must continually bid to sell your energy to the utility and if your price is too high it is not taken. A high efficiency low loss step up transformer is also required and these are not manufactured in Thailand, one must also pay to extend the nearest medium voltage power line to your facility. As a small operator all of this means there is little chance of a successful venture.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

As is the usual case in Thailand - these things are geared towards state owned companies or mega-corps owned by elite families. "Siam Solar Co Ltd", renewable energy for everyday folk has no chance of getting off the ground in a country run by monopolies.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Quite true, I really wanted to do something worthwhile, not necessarily making big bucks. I am not a farmer so no way am I going to start growing things in a big way.

Siam Solar Co Ltd started with a 240m Baht loan from Kasikorn bank. I'm sure they would give me or my Thai wife that sort of loan